1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Never ask SORRY!!!!!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shvap_786, Nov 5, 2008.

1. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Yes raj... even my Dh tells the same... my dh immediate sorry or he tells its ok no problem dont do it next time and try to convince... in that situation she will get convinced immediately but she never takes the first step to convince or ask sorry...all first step is with mom only..

any way i'll try to leave it for some time and see whether there is any change...

2. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Latha..

exactly the same situation... during her nursery she herself tells so many times... now she know she has to tell, but dont want to tell, which really bothers me... i'll try to stop asking.. or forcing..

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Looks like i am enjoying all the posts in the toddlers sections these days.:hiya

Vahee first welcome to parenting in the real terms....not that 0-3 was not tough. 3.5+ and above, the child is expose to outer world, forms his or her opinions, likes and dislikes about people, have their own set of rules and had a friend who is a child psycologist. She used just tell me that kids are individual in their own rights. so ur LOL is showing you that she is growing.

Being stubborn, not saying sorry, not mingling with a set of people, but being chummy with others, are all part of growing up in the 3.5+.

All have given good advice. this is one advice you need to follow. never never comment about anybody in front of your child. your child is very receptive, as i already have said many times observant and absorbent. any negative feeling is first noted by your child and they form their own opinions and act accordingly..

And also you never ask sorry on their behalf in front of them. it makes them feel our parents will take care...and even if it takes some days, make them understand and go and say sorry if it did not happen immediately..just leave some space and don't nag....

If you leave it for a few days, and ask her coolly why she did not ask sorry,you will be surprised she will definitely have her own reason which may not be reasonable too..but it is part of growing up.

Right now, even if its only you and dh at home, say thank yous, sorry's and welcome for things so that she will know that it is necessary, and nothing wrong in saying sorry if you are wrong. But never nag...

I always have been telling my children "sorry sollarathaley namma height illa weight koraiyaradhu illai, infact aunty uncle, nammalapatthi romba uyarva neinaipah.. paaru....such good girl thappu pannina vodaney sorry kekara..." (loosely translated..saying sorry does not reduce your height or weight, infact aunty uncle will think very high of your..see..such a good girl, who says sorry, when she commits a mistake.."

Sometimes this also did not work..so i used to cook up a story, to put the point..say in my case my children liked mythology...so used stories from there...Big LaughBig Laugh

4. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

K... very very true...i agree with you.. i try my level best not too loose my temper... else i have to find another way to stop that also... coz they observe each and everything we do ...

i tried reading some books about i'll try some more on that topics too...

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I totally agree. Ack, they are so observant that we better be careful what we say in front of them. DH was walking around in the kitchen and I opened a cabinet, he went slam into it, had a cut in his face and swore. K very cooly repeated the word. This is the only time we've used a swear word in front of him, even when we're shouting at each other:hide:.
    The books I was talking about are for children V, Sesame street has one on being polite, here is another one. I think one of the moms was talking about Karen Katz's book too.
    Sometimes, like Shanthi said, when they are not in the frame of mind to listen to us, stories, books and DVDs can help us.

6. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Shanthi... u made me to think... parenting starts now and here starts the real challenge... i could see lots of changes in my DD now ... i'm preparing myself to face all these with the support of experienced mom's...

you have given me wonderful points .. i'll make a try.. thanks... story was goodBig Laugh... even i used to create my own stories .. now a days its not working much may be i should start reading more i guess. bonk to be creative enough for her.. she is growing..

7. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Ohh yaaa... we came across this situation last yr when we visited india... just like that she learnt a word and we find difficult to stop that... even for fun also...we dont talk
    they observe and catch very soon and easily...

i'll try the books K.. she is interested in watching... so its better to try that way...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi vahee,

Our indian mythology has stories for all situations, and even panchatantra has a lot of them...yes, we need to be keep ourselves updated, the next is the why, where, how...be ready...

(P.S.) guys hope i am not coming into any of your space. just felt like coming in as a been there and learnt the same by trials and errors...

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Shanthi, we love to hear from you been there done that experience. I am sure other moms will agree with me when I say that. Of course, we like to cherry pick ideas and more the better. What say.

10. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

shanthi...
    Ya i'm keeping myself ready... some questions are already in the Q...

i'm trying to get some books all those fairytales seaons are gone... i should now run for the new ones... may be some thing as u mentioned like panchatantra or some moral stories...

shathi we need replies from experienced mom's so peep in when time permits...