1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need urgent info regarding postage

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sujimallige, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends,

I need some information about sending medicines from india to the US.
    Can anybody tell me is it possible to send medication from india through the registered post if there is prescription also with it.Some medicines like ointments.
    It would be really helpful to get some replies.
    Waiting for any answer,if u have had any personal experiences.

Thanks a lot..
    suji

2. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Suji,
    Yes, its possible to send medicines from India to USA.
    We personally ordered certain injection vials (powdered) and ointments like Betonvate-C from india and my BIL send those through Speed post, and we got those within 7 days. Speed post is a little costlier affair but it is really very quick.
    Even, he didn't send the prescriptions too but we still got that.
    If you need some norml Ointments, may be you can write the names, I will check my medicine box, I might have those.

Regards.

3. Sister

Sister New IL'ite

No,i have no idea.
    Hopefully senior members like Kamla,Shobanag,Vandana and others who have been staying here for long can help u out.
    Meeta has already replied :).

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

It depends on the type of medications you are planning to send. If its a simple creams, headaches etc, I guess it shud be fine.

(1) When mailing medicines that were prescribed to anybody other than the named recipient then it would be a criminal offense.
    (2) It should be safe that it goes through the mail systems (there are lot of checks now included because of the lation spam thats going on)... nothing toxic, inflammable are allowed.
    (3) There are also smuggling offenses depending upon the type of medicines that are mailed and also the countries involved. you might end of facing charges in both the countries.

The following is what the US govt has to say about it.

Medication
    Rule of thumb: When you go abroad, take the medicines you will need, no more, no less.
    Narcotics and certain other drugs with a high potential for abuse—Rohypnol, GHB, and Fen-Phen, to name a few — may not be brought into the United States, and there are severe penalties for trying to do so. If you need medicines that contain potentially addictive drugs or narcotics (e.g., some cough medicines, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, antidepressants, or stimulants), do the following:
    • Declare all drugs, medicinals, and similar products to the appropriate CBP official.
    • Carry such substances in their original containers.
    • Carry only the quantity of such substances that a person with that condition (e.g., chronic pain) would normally carry for his/her personal use.
    • Carry a prescription or written statement from your physician that the substances are being used under a doctor's supervision and that they are necessary for your physical well being while traveling.
    U.S. residents entering the United States at international land borders, who are carrying a validly obtained controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD), are subject to certain additional requirements. If a U.S. resident wants to bring in a controlled substance (other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD) but does not have a prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner (e.g., physician, dentist, etc.) who is registered with, and authorized by, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to prescribe the medication, the individual may not import more than 50 dosage units of the medication into the United States. If the U.S. resident has a prescription for the controlled substance issued by a DEA registrant, more than 50 dosage units may be imported by that person, provided all other legal requirements are met.

Please note that only medications that can be legally prescribed in the United States may be imported for personal use. Be aware that possession of certain substances may also violate state laws. As a general rule, the FDA does not allow the importation of prescription drugs that were purchased outside the United States. Please see their Website for information about the enforcement policy for personal use quantities.
    Warning: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) prohibits the importation, by mail or in person, of fraudulent prescription and nonprescription drugs and medical devices. These include unorthodox “cures” for such medical conditions as cancer, AIDS, arthritis, or multiple sclerosis. Although such drugs or devices may be legal elsewhere, if the FDA has not approved them for use in the United States, they may not legally enter the country and will be confiscated, even if they were obtained under a foreign physician’s prescription.
    For specifics about importing controlled substances, call (202) 307-9932. For additional information about traveling with medication, contact your nearest FDA office or write to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Division of Import Operations and Policy, Room 12-8 (HFC-170), 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20857.
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td></td></tr></tbody></table>
    Hope this helps!!!

5. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sujimallige,

Yes, you can send medicines through air mail.

My dad has sent to us some 3 months back.

Venue: At chennai, Mount road post office(opp to shanthi theartre),there you have abroad section.

Pack your medicine in verylight box. There are 2options: Ordinary and Speed post(i think this is little high ).

They give your Receipt for payment, ask whether ordinary or speed. We prefer always ordinary, which takes 10days only to reach.

Then they will pack your box in some muslin cloth, write to and from address on it.

I have included the price they charge for weighage:

500gm = 250rs
    1000gm 470rs
    1500- 800rs
    2000- 923rs

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  6. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

My heartfelt thanks Meeta,Sister,Nandhu and Usha.
    Thanks a lot for the info.

suji