1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need unbiased opinion

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by rosemary12, Jul 20, 2012.

1. rosemary12

rosemary12 Silver IL'ite

I was a silent reader for a long time. I just thought why not share my issues and get unbiased opinions here.

I am 25. I am engaged, and our marriage is fixed in October. Currently, I have absolutely no issues with my fiancee, and he is the best that happened to me in recent times. But some things that happened in my past is affecting me a lot.

Ours was a happy family until 2 years back. I was engaged with a guy then, but close to my marriage date I found out that he was already in a relationship with a girl. He was cheating both of us. I called off my marriage but it hurt me a lot. It took me a year to come out of my depression. I don't want to give full details, as I do not even want to think of all those days. I blindly trusted him, and could not believe he cheated me.

A year back when things were turning better, I found out that my dad was having an EMA. No one else knew it. I was shocked. Again I felt cheated by a man whom I saw a hero and blindly trusted him. I am unable to express how I felt at that instant I found my dad cheating my mom. I exposed him to my mom. There were lots of problems. I involved in it, tried to put some sense in my dad's brain. I even spoke to that lady. But all in vain. Finally my mom gave up. My mom now says as long as she is ignorant of what my dad is doing behind her back, she is happy and peaceful. She also asked me not to talk about this to her again and to drop it and concentrate on my marriage. I stopped talking to my dad ever since.

When I realized nothing was in my hands, I started concentrating on my carrier, and marriage. I posted my details in a matrimonial site and found my fiancee. We liked each other, our parents spoke and now our marriage is fixed.

Now I really don't have any specific problem. It's just that I feel so insecure. My fiancee knows nothing about my dad. He knows about my ex, and is OK with that. He spends all his spare time with me, he is very sweet to me, he loves me, respects my desires. He is someone I could trust blindly. But for some reason I am unable to.

I constantly have the fear that he may behave like the other guy, or my dad in the long run. It's not like I will not be able to handle it if it happens. Surprisingly, I feel I can handle it if he cheats me, and I would not think for a second if he dumps me for some other girl.

Somewhere in the last 2 years, I feel I lost my innocence. Let me tell you an example. During my previous engagement, my ex-fiancee had all my credit/debit card details, all my email ids, passwords, etc. We shared everything. But now, I am unable to do the same with my now fiancee. The other day I asked him to book a train ticket for me online. He asked my card details as there was some problem with his card. I gave him, but changed my password the next day. When I told him, I knew he was hurt, but he did not show it to me.

There are many such instances. I am not sure if I am able to put across my thoughts clearly. My question is 'Am I over-reacting? Will I ever be able to trust him like how I trusted my ex-fiancee or my dad? Are my thoughts wrong?' I just feel so insecure and confused at times. Sometimes, I feel I am constantly anticipating the day when my fiancee cheats me.

Please give me your valuable suggestions. I really need them. Thanks for reading!

Edit:

Wanted to add one more incident. Before engagement he told me that he smokes and drinks, both occasionally. I had asked him to quit smoking alone as that was injurious to health, and he obliged. Just few days back I found out that he was still smoking. This caused a big fight between us. I told him, you could have told me that you needed time to quit smoking and continued, instead of lying to me. He said he would quit smoking in a month, and did not want to hurt me, hence lied. I just could not accept it. The fact that he lied to me hurt me a lot, more than the fact he was still smoking. I just told him not to lie hereafter. These kind of incidents scares me, what if he lies to me about everything. But he told me I was over-reacting. May be, yes, I over-reacted. But was this because of my past?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hi rosemary!
    first my congrats on ur engagement!
    And about the multiple thoughts going in ur mind , i would say dont worry dear, its normal to feel so after what happened!
    and dont ever feel bad that some jerk cheated u because believe me it was for ur own good that god saved u and u came to know his nature before marriage !
    I feel really bad about ur dad, and i know how so much ever i say forget it , its not easy for u.
    I can just give one suggestion, try to think about positive things, dont let negative thoughts come in ur mind either about ur fiancee or ur future , but about the question regarding blinding trusting him, well personally i feel we should never blindly trust anyone. god has given us a mind to think and eyes to see and we women r blessed with sixth sense and intuition.
    about the card thing also i dont feel u r wrong, when u guys are just engaged it is natural to be bit cautious and i would say even after marriage if u have separate account or take care of ur money urself it does not show that u dont trust ur partner !
    just because u have seen men cheating their partners i know how hard it will be for u to trust someone again but u have to make a effort. its imp for ur own happy life. bitterness and negativism will never help u.
    I really wish u a very happy life ahead !

1 person likes this.
  3. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

I can understand your feelings Rosemary. To be cheated by your own dad will be a scar on you i admit. But i think that you must not lose your hopes on living a happy life by constantly thinking about those two individuals who didn't care about you or neglected you.
    You must take a firm decision now. Just because your ex-fiance cheated you that doesn't mean you will always be cheated by some person or the other. From the details which you have given, it seems to me that your fiancee is a good person by heart or else he would have reacted when you told him that you changed your password.
    Say to yourself that those two person's (your ex and dad) chapter is over and now you have to concentrate only in your life. Please don't lose a good person in your life with your suspicions. Talk to him openly and tell him what you are afraid of and your doubts because open discussion with your spouse is the key to a good marriage. He'll understand you better. Try to understand him too.
    Throw away your fears and enjoy your life. Enjoy each moment with your fiancee and you will easily come out of your doubts. Think Positively and then one day you will be posting, "The most romantic thing my husband did" and we all would be liking it. Have fun and enjoy. All the best.

1 person likes this.
  4. positivegal

positivegal Gold IL'ite

You are acting cautiously, nothing wrong in changing password. But you should be confident about him before marrying, don't think all men are same.

5. tweetyfan

tweetyfan Silver IL'ite

How long does he have smoking habit?for how many years?if it's for many years then it may be difficult for him to quit smoking all of a sudden.it has to happen gradually and it has to come from within him not as a compulsion.May be after marriage if he says i can't quit smoking don't be surprised at all.

You are hurt emotionally and you are now cautious in trusting men.it's very hard to digest EMA of a father or the ones we love.but life is all about how you get back up on your feet after a fall.so keep your spirits up and face the music.Only if you are confident about the marriage go ahead.

6. rosemary12

rosemary12 Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much for your advice. And I agree to your point that we should never trust someone blindly. Am really trying to be positive. The thing is when I speak to him, I do not show any negativity, as I do not want him to suffer for my insecurity. I just feel bad at times, after speaking to him, that I am not able to completely trust him. Many thanks for your wishes. :)

7. rosemary12

rosemary12 Silver IL'ite

Oh yes, I spoke to him about my insecurities. He knows why I broke up with my ex-fiancee. He perfectly understands me. I told him that it will take me time to completely trust him, and he does all he can to gain my trust. A few days back, during an argument, I told him I may not believe him even after 25 years down the line. He was hurt when I told him that. I donno why I told him that. I am cautious these days not to hurt him, based on my suspicions.

8. rosemary12

rosemary12 Silver IL'ite

I agree! I would never say that. I have seen men, my brothers, sisters' DH, uncles, neighbors who are perfect gentlemen. I am confident about him. It's just that sometimes, I think of my past and wonder if it would happen to me again. Anyways, I am trying to be positive now.

9. rosemary12

rosemary12 Silver IL'ite

Actually, I won't mind even if he does not quit smoking. He smokes just one or two a day, and I am OK with it. Since it was less, I wanted him to stop altogether. If he is unable to quit, I don't think there is much I can do. The fact that he lied to me hurt me.

Thank you for your advice. Am trying to be positive.

10. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,
    Life teaches us many lessons and we must learn from them.
    Why are so trusting and giving bank details to fiance? You yourself have called off an engagement earlier . The guy did not use his card but took your details !
    Please do not be hasty in trusting people, your fiance too has to earn your trust. Dont ask him to do any money related work for you. Even after marriage many hubbies refuse to share bank details with their DW.
    Be cautious thats all. All men are not the same.
    Regarding the smoking habit its doubtful if he will quit to be frank.Its an addiction, he can quit at once or never. It cannot be done slowly over a period of time.
    Same goes for drinking.He may even say its a man thing to drink and smoke.
    Now father did a very dishonourable thing and your Mom has swept it under the carpet. But your father does not care for his family's feelings and is carrying on!
    Get married with your eyes open thats all.
    Lies hurt but he could be lying to keep you happy.
    Be firm about certain things but don't share everything.
    See how much your fiance shares with you and then open up.