1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

need tips on how to deal with mil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by chaaral, Jul 22, 2013.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    After long time going to india, avoided india trip due to inlaws.
    now we have to go.. :(

mil would act sweetly in front of dh and relatives, when alone with me she always comments on my color ( dark) and how fair my sil is. even though my mom gives all the dowry related stuff really good ones she complains to me. mil's mom who is very old told me they are good quality but mil always have to comment and she will tell all relatives that my mom gave nothing.
    the worst part is dh will keep quiet for all this.

she will not let me go shopping. she will always ruin our plans. she will only book tickets for movies and force us to go and then invite all relatives on that day.her point is to show all relatives that she is a good mil and i am a bad dil.

for food, mil and i eat last and she will just keep 1 roti or little rice which is not enough. how to deal with it? i have told dh to help me becos i cannot starve.
    they will only pack our suitcases just to see what all we bought and we are taking to US.
    she will always comment about the gifts we bought only infront of me and not with dh. whatever gifts we take for her relatives she will not give to them, which i realized only after 10 yrs.

I need some tips, ideas on how to deal mil and dh . becos with all her drama i become emotional vent out to dh and he gets annoyed. so i keep telling myself i need to be calm, but easier said than done.

Thanks!

2. Janki75

Janki75 Bronze IL'ite

Try to maybe not be alone with MIL? Always have DH or another relative with you as much as possible.
    Don't take gifts- if you know she is not going to give them, don't take anything or take very minimal- why spend money on items MIL is going to STEAL.
    Maybe try saying about going shopping to another relative infront of her- " Let's go to "store"" so MIL can't ruin plan. Make the plans concrete that day
    Hope this helps
    I am dealing with evil horrible MIL also for almost 10 years and am seriously thinking of leaving DH just so I never have to see that lady again (DH and MIL are both driving me insane right now)

3. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

Just be yourself and ignore her......Avoid her company and keep some snacks with urself always. Go out with your husband, most of the evenings and have some wonderful dinner outside.....Show ur MIL that u r very much happy and pampered and u don't bother to have the little rice and roti that she has left for u.

4. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thanks Janki and sorry about ur situation. i hope it gets better.
    i hope dh talks something this trip. he is also upset with his mom but will never talk anything to her.neither support me. i have made plans so far, hoping dh will not ruin it.
    hoping he will not tell my plans to mil, if she knows her mission is to ruin my plans. lets see. just the whole trip make me nervous.

5. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thankyou mimi.
    Last trip took snacks only for kids, now have to take double for my self too :)
    dh wouldn't even go out with me alone when we r there, he will be behind his momma. grrrr!
    the few days we will be in village will be difficult as can't go out to eat and or pack lots of snacks.
    when we come back to city then i am hoping to eat out often and she can eat all that she cooked.
    she would cook too spicy which dh wont eat and then make a fuss. dh is annoyed with her behaviour becos they all know dh can't handle spicy food. but still she cooks and dh would be quiet.
    i just have to be happy and show her that too. thanks!

6. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Have you been taking this for 10yrs? By now you should have been in the position to advise us :bonk Some suggestions from my side... chota muh, badi baat (trying to talk wiser than my age) Sirji

2 people like this.
  7. pkm

pkm Bronze IL'ite

Dear charaal,

I understand that u wil be in good contact with the relatives hence u buy gifts for them.
    My suggestion is that whenever u speak with those relatives enquire them whether they like ur gifts.
    So that they understand who the culprit is....
    When ever she books tickets for movies, tell ur dh u are not well at the last minute and stay back .....
    Also reply back if she insults you or ur family in private and act good in front of others... In short use The same technique as ur mil law uses....
    For the color discrimination she does tell her that I was the same color when u came to see me for the first time..

Hope this can help you ...
    Have a safe journey dear ...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Shreya:
    >>>Either don't react to any her comments or make a humorous/sarcastic counter comment. (eg: "Yes, it is very important to be fair. So many universities have reserved seats for fair people. Jobs have the the basic requirement that the candidate should be fair." or something like this. )<<<

Thats a good one! never thought of it. the problem is never had any such situations in my life until i got married.and dont know how to give such comments. very poor in that.
    after marriage immediatly we came to US. then next trip i went alone and it was SHOCK! came to know her true colors. next we went after 1st kid and lots of drama that time too. that time dh was not cooperative. so this trip hoping i have the courage to face it all.
    thanks for all the tips. i just have to remember how to act smart and not get nervous and scared.

for food, the few days we are in her house she will try to cook either spicy or get food from outside (becos outside food doesn't suit me and dh, she gets it from local stores and not good hotel) i ate fruits, milk etc. when we r in native village with relatives she will make sure i eat last when most of the food is over.i did tell once that a fav dish was over and couldn't taste. she will smile and go. dh also ignores. atleast he can take care right, that is also very annoying.then he complained that i am fussy. dh says for few days in india adjust.
    mil would comment sweetly saying that i am too thin and i dont eat a lot, so she miscalculated the servings. she is sooo smart and handles it very cleverly. i am no match for her.even dh cannot talk to her as they manipulate very well. no other relatives will get doubt.
    we are in usa and not much contact with other relatives, so she says what she wants. i dont care what she says but just her behaviour and the way she treats me.
    for the past 10 yrs my mom was also saying adjust and go. but i guess i can't anymore. if not mil would go and make a scene with my side relatives and mom will be upset. thats why had to adjust past years, but even after adjusting still she comments to my side relatives.which my mom is upset and she thinks i didn't adjust. so double sided sword.

1 person likes this.
  9. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

I dont like to waste money, no matter whose it is, so mil uses that very well. she knew we wont waste the movie ticket. dh also doesn't waste money. but none of these ideas strike, i was stressed out.

i didn't know that mil will not give gifts to her relatives. i realized during my second trip only that she kept all the gifts and at that time dh told dont ask and dont bring up all the old issues.mil will be upset and rest of our stay will be spoiled. so kept quiet.
    for this trip dh itself saying no need to take gifts for any relatives, only for inlaws and sil.
    so i am just wondering what to do. but planning to call all relatives and visit all of them. last time mil didn't let us visit relatives. i am sure she would have put the blame on us.the other problem is dh is not close with any relatives, becos of all this drama he ignores all. he prefers to stay in US and avoid all. when we visit he is sweet to all and forgets after we come back. i cannot be like that. :(

10. Shineystar

Shineystar Silver IL'ite

When I read this this reminds of my MIL ....I am in same boat as yours.I just want to give only 2options

At first I tried to avoid being lonely with her but later I felt I should be strong and paid deaf ear to her...I just started acting as though I m no listening to her and doing some work....though I tried all these some times it work but some times I feel like I should try to avoid being lonely with her and one more advice that my DH gave to me ...never complain husbands about his mom .because she may be bad/good but they love them because they are born and brought up in her lap and complaining about her create bad impression on wife. ofcourse though he said that but still sometimes I complain about her(i just give outline about her and leave it there and change the topic butI do not wait for his response because if I go deep into the topic and wait for response there will be argument between us)

let me tell about my MIL.when lonely she comments me lot about my infertility even his son also has fault and we already told it to her she don't care that and always blames me for that.she almost comments about everything.
    And she always checks my suite case and asks me what did I get to,my mother ...she will be rather interested in that first.my husband adviced to hand over all the stuff I mean entire suit case to her and tell her what to give to whom and rest it is her wish to give it or not.i usually don't get anything to my mom but will buy some toys to my sister kids ...and she will discuss this with my co sis(who is in US) and my cosis will make mess more than my MIL.here I can say I have 2 MILs one is MIL in India and other co-sis(acting like MIL in US)..If i start talking about my cosis i can write pages and pages about her equally wicked to MIL.always wonder how did the cos-sis kept MIL in grip and found that her husband (MILs elder son) is henpecked husband.

Anway i suggest you to just ignore her and act as though you are busy working or run being lonely form her.Along with you I am waiting for other ILs advice.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013