1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need some perspective. after 5 years of marriage..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by madeinindia, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

MadeinIndia,

I see echos of my own marriage in yours. I am the control freak and my hubby the calm, quiet and laid-back type. But that is exactly what I love about him. Were I married to someone like myself we would have driven each other nuts!

From my perspective, what I see in your marriage is a difference of personality types. You are a type A personality - high achieving, outgoing, social and with a compulsive need to be in control. Your hubby, as you describe him, seems to be a more laid back, easy-going, even a little apathetic and disengaged person. In spite of these inherently different traits you seem to have a mostly happy marriage and that is no small thing. I know it bothers you but this sort of personality clash is fairly common in arranged marriages. For that matter, not all partners in a love marriage are always perfectly matched either.

Realistically, your husband will probably never turn into the go-getter you wish he was, but that doesn't mean that you have to live with the status quo. Most of the quirks in his personality can be worked on and with a lot of patience you can help him change to a certain extent. Maybe not completely, but at least to a level that you can live comfortably with. You seem to have a good understanding of both his flaws and your own failings. So use that knowledge to make tangible changes. Some of things of the top of my head are,

1. Stop nagging/complaining - you admit that these things lead to arguments and are ruining your otherwise happy married life. Understand that your complaints will not help him change. They will only make him defensive and resistant to anything you say.

2. Stop being a control freak - you don't have to get on his case every time you need him to accomplish a task. A better approach would be to start by giving him small, less important responsibilities and letting him know how important it is to you that he fulfill them. After that leave him to his devices. If necessary make a priority list and email it to him or add it to his calendar or post it on the refrigerator or just do all three. Then remove yourself from the picture. If you see him failing to do it then discretely volunteer to do it with him. Say if he needs to go to the bank then go with him but let him do the job. Keep doing it until it becomes a habit.

3. Don't point out his shortcomings or flaws to him. Constructive criticism rarely ever works. No one likes it! Criticism is a bitter pill to swallow no matter how much you sugar coat it. Instead, appreciate him for the smallest things he does right. You list so many of his positives in your post. Most women would be grateful for such a husband. Have you ever let him know that you appreciate him for those qualities of his? You have said so many good things about your hubby in your post, yet you gloss over them and keep harping on just one aspect of his personality - his lack of initiative.

Try to put yourself in his shoes and feel the way he feels. A successful competitive wife can be intimidating for the most accomplished of men. If, as you say, he is struggling with his own professional relationships, your success must make his failures all the more piquant. Your pointing them out and being rude about it will hardly improve matters.

As others here have said try to look at the brighter side of things. He is good to you, very good in fact. A lot of his traits that annoy you are, in fact, a blessing in disguise. Just imagine if he were exactly like you! Pointing out your flaws, feeling superior to you and generally being dissatisfied with you! All the charm of a take-charge, in-control type of a hubby would have been out of window in a day or two. Maybe his quiet demeanor and low maintenance attitude is what makes him love you in spite of your controlling nature and perhaps that is exactly what makes him right for you. Maybe, knowing your nature, he willingly takes the back seat to let you have the upper hand. For all you know his unambitious nature and ability to be content with little will make him a much more understanding, accepting and loving parent than you. Take a good hard look at your marriage. The glass looks more than half full to me!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
    Visu2k likes this.
  2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear MadeinIndia,

Each and everyone lives their life differently. You have a different take on life and so does your husband. Would you like it if it was other way around??? Like you husband asking you to quit socializing or asking you not to be proactive. No you won't like it, because this is your basic nature. You will agree to make some adjustments but after a while you will want to live your life the way you want to.

From your post it is clear that your DH is a nice guy and he does care for you. There is nothing wrong in you being the proactive partner. Go out with him and socialize and have your fun.

You can once in a while give him friendly suggestions like how to make more friends but honestly if he does not have it in him, it will be bit difficult for him to open up.

As for work related issues, give advise only when he discuss with you. He is an adult and he has listen to you before about how he should be at the work place but still he did not change. Let him deal with his work place issues himself.

You can make this relationship beautiful if you accept him the way he is and stop trying to change him (I know you have tried this). You will reach your inner peace and so will he. Once the pressure to constantly perform is off from his head he might try to look at the thing from a different angle and start making changes himself.

My dear friend, we all have an idea how others should live their life but that might not be the way others think.

For few days try finding something nice to say to him. You say he is nice so it means there must few good things you guys shared, for a break just stop asking him to change.

All the best.

regards

3. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Wow, Gauri it is again :bowdown Excellent post.

It is very difficult for quite a few Indian men to accept type-A girls and that causes a lot of conflicts which hasnt happened in madeinindia's marriage, thats a big positive - and Gauri has said it very well.

4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

All said and done - I wont say it is the 'hunky dory' 'all roses' great marriage. The truth may be that madeinindia can have found a better compatible partner...perhaps, but thats all hypothetical now.

Here this is what they chose, and now just go on to find a way to make a living that is reasonably happy. That essentially boils down to dont "force change" people, it wont work.

5. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Hi madeinindia,

I have read many posts where DW say that they are treated like slaves or maids and I feel very sorry for them...
    But after reading your post I am happy that you are the manager or advisor:) and its really great being that compared to slave or maid...
    Isnt it? Try to be contented and happy with what you have rather than imposing your expectation on him...
    He is your partner and you need to accept him(because you committed unless you dont want a divorce) the way he is till he thinks that he should change his personality because his wife doesnt like the manager post..
    What if he thinks or expects you to be just opposite of what you are??Will you be able to change it for him???I believe its difficult to change ones traits...JMO

6. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Look at the brighter side, you have a say in all the important things of your family life. Not everyone is so fortunate having a say about things that dictate their personal lives, finances, children, career and so on.

I believe, careers and work should be separated from personal lives. Neither me nor my wife bother even if there are some messy issues going on at our work place - unless we actively seek each others' opinion. This works wonderfully for us and there is no reason why it should not work for you.

Lastly each one of us is different. We carry both good and bad qualities in us. Some of us agree on our shortcomings and try to work on them and some of us don't feel the need to change. Since you already explained your perspective to your husband regarding being proactive, socializing and taking lead, you should not overdo it. It is very important that we should not make other person feel stifled and constrained. We can only tell what we feel and may insist that others comply but beyond that there is no point in pushing any further.

Also there are always better ways to get things done other than using blunt force. I would suggest, you list down all the good qualities that you see in him and appreciate him for that. Stop criticizing him altogether and always try to see the positives in him for some months, till he begins to feel positive about himself. Once he starts to feel positive and confident, you can slowly express what is bothering you (one at a time) and I am sure most males (including me) would like to listen (and apply) when their wives are nice to them.

7. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Spidy letting off steam with a stranger means various ways of getting comfortable with your partner... either physical or emotional or buying time before commitment. In arranged marriages first commitment is made and then a process to get comfortable and open up.

Context for this topic is... there was a mention that these days people speak a lot of truth about themselves to their perspective partner in DEKHO ceremonies... I will say they were simply lucky:coffee... and one can find all the answers in such meeting even before a commitment is made. Even if you go for a supermarket and have not eaten enough Kellogs :crazy(brain mein iron ki kami nahin hai) then you will miss an item without a list.. and will need a revisit.

How many arranged setups allow revisits to explore and or a person sitting with list.. to finalise on a commitment. Hence in order to get every little perfection on your partner one needs to be growing up in a society where a commmitment can be done only after getting comfortable with a person.
    Eg: if a bride expects with a get-goer quality of a husband......... a groom might be looking for a best mate in the bed... so should this particular steam be let off before a commitment for marriage? What exploration is primary importance to a man and a woman is their choice.

There was a reason to say YES or commit to an arranged marriage on minimal questions.. reason being overall picture looked good.... one should revisit their decision to find an answer to themselves.

8. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Shilpa, I believe people have started revisiting the commitments after engagement and before wedding that there are several broken engagements.

9. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Gauri, yours is one charming and nicely drafter post. I am very much pleased to see how mature, positive, optimistic and balanced your posts are and I am planning to read all your posts this weekend. Keep helping others, your perspective is like a whiff of fresh air :thumbsup

10. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

yes CW, all patterns are existing in all society from time immemorial.... what matters is do you as an individual have the energy and clarity to sort out everything in the first go itself? Those who are very clear on what they want they dont let situations go out of control..... arranged marriages are like giving control of your life to others to take decisions for you (partially/ fully).

Sometimes only later you realise the mess and either attain strength and clarity to fix issues or accept destiny. Certain people will agree that even though they got the hints of whats in store they were simply being tagged as judgemental types cos a lot was already at stake... or they were clouded with silver linings of the current proposal... or their current priority.