1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need serious advice, want to start afresh

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by NewLife, Jul 24, 2015.

1. NewLife

NewLife New IL'ite

Hi All,

I have been married for last 6 years and have a cute and vibrant 2 year old.
    I work full-time.Currently my in-laws are here. A brief intro about my in-laws - They are typical in laws who don't like their son to do any household work(my husband doesn't help me with any household chore). My in laws take care of my son during the day and I cook lunch before leaving for office. Also 2-3 times on weekdays I do some prep for breakfast and my MIL prepares for my DH and FIL after I leave. On weekends, I make the breakfast. After coming back home in the evening, I make tea and then start making dinner. His Dad keeps complaining that he is getting bored even when he is engaged with our son throughout the day. His Mom wants everything that I own in the kitchen. Her motive is to take all the small tools or storage boxes that I have to India. She is very spendthrift and my DH is the same, very very spendthrift.

What my in laws do - MIL prepares roti for lunch box, their rice for lunch and again roti for dinner. She also folds laundry. FIL throws the trash.

My DH is loving but he doesn't do anything because he was never taught to do anything at home. HE throws the clothes after coming from office, he doesn't keep his shoes in the shoe rack after coming from gym. In short he doesn't help in daily chores and also increases my work. This really irritates me.

I had a love marriage but we have been fighting a lot. Recently 2 days back also we fought and every time we fight my husband says we should take divorce since we are not compatible.Everytime we fight, he says we should take divorce. According to him the serious fights in marriage happen only during initial 2-3 years and then the couple gets used to each other's fault.But in our case we are still fighting. We have also fought on karwachauth day and I had to do puja alone at home. no Food after that.

According to him, I should never correct him or say anything to him in front of his parents or our friends. For e.g. we were planning for our son's birthday and he found out that the whole day booking for a picnic shelter in a park is $175 and I said that it is expensive in front of his parents. I am not too sure about my tone but definitely I was not angry. This hurt him.
    We are going to India for Diwali and I told him that I am doing booking for going to my parents house on the next day of Diwali(we are going to India for diwali) and my sister is reaching my parents house on the day on Diwali(she is especially coming to meet us and will be there for only 4 days). He doesn't want me to go the next day because we might get late on the night of diwali since his family plays cards on the night of diwali. I told him there is no need for me and my son to be awake on the night of diwali since I am not interested in playing and I can go to my parents place the next day.Also I will be with my sister for only 1 day if I go after 1 day or Diwali. This made him angry that I don't give my 100% to his family and am all bothered about is going to my parents place the next day. This triggered the fight between us. He said he refrains from talking to me because it makes him angry.He has very very less patience for me. HE starts shouting on me and starts insulting like saying " jaa naa , bhag naa , aayi badi " etc etc. According to him I can go to my parents house the next day we reach India because we have stayed with his parents for 5 months but since I am having dual standards and I want to look good in front of his parents, I am somehow staying back till Diwali. Going to my parents house the next day we reach India is acceptable to him but going the next day of Diwali is not since it will be hectic for everyone.

Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to give an idea of what kind of relationship we have. Also do all of you who are married for more than 2-3 years, do you still fight seriously, like not talking to each other for a couple of days? Also he thinks that I don't make his parents feel at home. Personally I don't talk much and whenever I reach home, I make it a point to talk to them while having tea as to how was the day. His dad's behavior is always very cold towards me. For anything he will indirectly tell his wife. I really hate this. These things irritate me to the core.

Could you also tell me that how do you behave with your husband in front of your in laws and friends? Do you ever correct him?(Recently he was telling a story to our friend which he has told almost 5 times before, then I told him very politely, mind you very politely jokingly that you are repeating this story. This also made him angry. He didn't say anything that time but during our fight he said that I should never correct him in front of his parents and friends and should hear whatever he is saying even when he is repeating for 100th time).

Also regarding behavior with in-laws. How much do you talk to them when they are visiting? Also when you and your MIL is in the kitchen, do you keep talking constantly or there is silence also in between?

I know I am asking all stupid things but these answers can make my life.

Thanks in advance

2. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Hello,

Well, you could say I'm like your husband. Not that I don't like being corrected, but being corrected IN FRONT OF others, is a big no-no to me. Whatever you have to tell me, please tell me in private. Not in front of maid, or friends, or IL's and specially not in front of my parents. And sadly, when the woman publicly corrects the man, it becomes more of an ego issue. That's where the "badi aayi" comment comes.

The same repetitive joke, I would laugh at it in public for the 100th time. In our bedroom, I would jokingly tell him,"Oh god, I even know the exact words you are going to say next by now!"

To your question as to whether couples married long still fight. Yes, they do. But not about the same things.

I have been married more than a decade, and in these years, I know what to expect, and what is changeable, what has to be accepted lifelong and what is newly irritating to me. So I pick my battles. And of course, there are a few topics which are sacred to him, and I have the completely opposite view. We agree to disagree, and don't air our own opinions too strongly. Neither is right or wrong.

Hope you find peace.

1 person likes this.
  3. NewLife

NewLife New IL'ite

@dimhere - Thanks a lot for your post!! I will keep in mind what to do in public from next time but correcting him is not very often from my side but when I ever do it, it makes me angry. I understand your point, it might hurt his ego.

But don't I have the right to give my opinion, like the birthday planning expenditure ?

Also when you say you fight, does your every fight result into breaking of relationship, like my husband always says we should divorce each other.

Also what is your suggestion on my questions related to in-laws?

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I'm sorry I have no advice for your husband's not helping at home or your India travel plans.
    Here's my take on a few points:
    1) FIL getting bored: this is very common for parents,especially men.They feel constricted as they cannot move freely or go about their routine. Childcare is not enough to take care of this. Even though it is stressful with work, try to take them out once a week and on weekends. Your husband should do this.
    2) MIL: my mom loves all the small kitchen tools, utensils and vessels here whether she will actually use them or not. As long as it's not breaking the bank don't begrudge her these. My mom would pick stuff out on Amazon, and loved getting packages.
    3) DH: unless it is something egregious or a safety situation do not correct him in front of either his parents or his friends, even as a joke.People are sensitive about how others see them. You can talk about it in private later.
    We have been married for well over a decade. My MIL does not visit often, but she and I maintain a polite distance during her time here. She usually takes over the kitchen to cook for her son, and they can spend hours talking. I let it be. When my parents come it is much less awkward for my husband as they all get along very well.
    Try to pick and choose your battles and not sweat the small stuff. It is easier said than done, but letting a few things slide will make your life easier.

3 people like this.
  5. NewLife

NewLife New IL'ite

@MalStrom
    1) We take our in laws out every weekend, whether it is weekend outing, shopping or visiting friends. Still there is complaints. I don't like the fact when my FIL hints on me since I am from nuclear family setup that " a person who has not loved in joint family won't understand how people in joint family are attached".

2) Will try not to bother about the buying thing but what irritates me she never gets me anything until I ask for. She never brings any gifts for me.
    But whenever she comes here, she has a list to buy gifts for everyone back home. She buys not only for the close family but for the extended family too. Only in my case it never occurs to her to get something. I think I should not have any expectations from her. In the last 6 years she has got something only once for me when my son was born. Otherwise not a single thing she bought for me on her own.

3) thanks for your suggestion. I will be more tolerant in the future.

My husband talks to his parents for hours on weekend nights and I never complain. I don't participate much because they talk about their long lost relatives whom I don't know at all.
    My MIL is a good cook but time around it seems she has come for a vacation since she doesn't do any major cooking. Also I have to make few things separately since she doesn't eat onion and garlic. Whatever I do she never praises me, or my cooking

I know I will have to adjust to a lot of things and it is easier said than done. But will try my best.

Some how I loose patience when the things repeat and it gets accumulated till I get too irritated.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

@newlife,
    Looks like you are doing all the right things. Try to take some time for yourself when it gets too much-maybe a nice lunch at work or a little gift for yourself. This too shall pass.

1 person likes this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

As long as you are pulling your Husband's heart strings, In-Laws don't matter. Consider them as management. If they have half a brain they will eventually see your value. We all behave like idiots (myself included)

If chores are too overbearing can you politely and gently ask Husband for help. If he says "no", don't argue. Just gently persist over a period of time (adjust according to your environment)

Are in near Indian community. Perhaps he can engage with people his generation, and gossip about daughter-in-laws with other cranky, I mean seasoned people.

She considers her son's house to be her house. Can you hide some things? Can you use this as an excuse to buy new things?

Gently ask for help. Start small

Tell him not to say "divorce" even in joke. God may give him this terrible thing and he will be more unhappy.

Ok either there is more to this story or your husband is immature because he's been pampered his whole life.

Same for him. Correct each other in private.

Only raise voice if your life or well-being is in danger. He sounds like a real child.

Gently tell him with a smile you are visiting you parents as planned. He'll get over it.

I had arranged marriage to someone worse than the devil (at least the devil has a freaking brain, this guy was an idiot).

Well, give it some time. You feel certain way about them, they feel certain way about you.

But wait!

Doesn't your MIL feel at home, as she is taking your kitchen supplies?

But I know what you mean, there is tensions.

OK he will come around. I mean people are people we all act like idiots and fools, then we realize our mistake, we repent, and we forgive each other.

I'd correct him in private after giving him an erotic massage. Seriously.

Ok, I don't have the honor of having in-laws who give a hoot, but here is how I am patching things up with a toxic mother (see other posts).

This took nearly a year.

Sit with them silently when watching serials (oh Gosh, but I hope it's not those abusive serials, see my other posts), or anything else. Let them turn towards you slowly slowly like flowers (yes, imagine your in-laws as delicate flowers) turn towards the brilliant, life-giving Sun

Just appreciate what you have, and the things you want start to increase.

3 people like this.
  8. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]What goes in your household is quite common and i don't think you have big issue.

In-laws could be worse,don't think yours are as bad as i have seen or even mine. Same goes for for your hubby.Let me give you comparison of your family and life with mine , may be it will make you feel better that you are not alone.

1> FIL getting bored is quite common, my PILs when cam last time only stayed for 1 n half months even after my hubby's constant request of staying longer.They said they didn't like it and were bored.They travelled 7 countries in Europe that time, we used to take them out of town every weekend and even in evening after work to near around tourist area.But they were always complaining about being bored. My FIL didnt come this time as he said he will be bored , so MIL came alone.
    2>We have been married for 10 yrs , we used to fight once a month , still do. So you are not alone there too.
    3>In spite of requesting for last 10 yrs , he still throws his clothes to floor after work,shoes never on shoe rack etc etc. I used to get irritated , not anymore as he will never change, so i have learn of not complaining abt small things n do what i see myself.
    4>you said your hubby is loving , mine never is ..he is practical, he thinks love , romance happens only in movie.
    5>ja bhaag and shouting for small thing he doesn't like is quite common . IF i question or argue back , it converts into big fight .so i go in mute mode when he starts shouting these days for my own peace of mind.
    6>MIL not buying for DIL is quite common in most household i think , same is mine. DIL are supposed to give to ILs, never expect other way round , i have seen in my household.
    7>my hubby also used to say Divorce every time we fought. HE said that openly in front of his parents and family too. Man use that word to threaten too.

so your situation is not worse than mine. Life is all about compromise,may be learn to let go of small things. Things were so bad for me but i still m in this relation hoping effort from my side may change things for good. Things are lil better but i have learnt to compromise big time. But if things go out of control , i'm prepared to leave too.

Yours isnt too bad, you could still work on this. there are few things you definitely could have done differently like
    1>no-one likes to be corrected in public,even me. Man specially feel it hurts their male ego if wife corrects than in public, in front of parents is big NO.so anything you want to correct him on , tell him in private. My hubby would have fought back right away saying who are you to correct me in front of all, see how humiliating that would have been ?
    2>dont wry about FIL , MIL , they are their for short time. Tolerate them for your own peace and peace of family as they will go soon.I count days when my ILs are here.you do same but not act on their stupidity or anything you don't like.
    3>Unless its big amount , let them spend. why stress yourselves on something which you cant control.

Make peace with yourselves, let go of small things , don't expect anything from anyone. find things to keep you happy and busy.

good luck dear.

[/FONT]

2 people like this.
  9. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

1) Stop doing things for your husband like picking up his shoes/ dirty clothes. Let it be where he left for sometime.
    2) Do not tolerate cuss/ insulting word from anyone. Let him know you are not entitled to such stuff.
    3) In-laws visit will get over.. try to mend your relation. Also, try to be happy with yourself. Like time with kid, some hobby, some friends time. Do not give much importance to people who think of divorce every now & then..!!

1 person likes this.
  10. NewLife

NewLife New IL'ite

My FIL is introvert when he goes out. HE doesn't make friends easily. He has habits of a lady sitting at home and gossiping. He also compares me with his daughters indirectly which irritates me a lot.

I can't hide now since she has seen everything. Yesterday she saw my appe pan and now she wants that too whaatsmiley. She is very lazy to cook stuff in India but she wants all gadgets.

I have told him before also don't take the word "divorce" every time we fight but it doesn't matter to him. He is still the same and sometimes I think he wants to separate since every time how can he say same thing.

He is pampered a lot since childhood being the only son and also youngest after 2 elder sisters. His parents have spoilt him a lot.

Will keep this in mind.

HE said if you already took decision then book your tickets and then let me know. Don't ask me. He said I am playing safe by getting his approval and I do mind games since I wanted to go and want his approval too. This really pissed me.

How much wait?? Its been 6 years and still their behavior is same towards me. They talk about me to their relatives when they go back. I have never ever raised my voice even once on them in last 6 years. They like to give each details to the relatives like I ate very plain food like bottlegourd and ridgegourd for 1st 6 months after my son was born. This was toooo much for me. How can they give these stupid details to the relatives??

We do watch TV in weekends sometimes. Weekdays we don't watch TV because my son will be glued to TV if we switch on the TV.