1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Of Formalities In Marriage Life

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sanarthi, Aug 4, 2016.

1. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to know the a general opinion of formalities in marriages. I am from down south, where marriage formalities are more for girl's side than boy's. For example
    1. post marriage for 3 diwali and harvest festival girl's family has to present silk sarees and dress for both bride and groom.
    2. All delivery's should be taken care of girl's side parents ( both cost & physical). What is the role of husband ? At least second delivery cost could be taken? why is this formality set?
    3. After child birth for tonsure function gold gift for baby from girl's side. even parents who cannot spare are forced to do?
    4. Apart from these for local festivals, girls when visit their parents house, they should not return to inlaws house with bare hands. they should carry some form of gift from their parents house.
    5. The worst of all is no formalities for boy's side. They can either do or can leave .
    6. Every where it is seen that girls side bears 75% cost and only remaining 25% is for boy's side, and that too it is optional for them . but for girl's parents it is mandatory.

I have lived with it for years, but at times i feel that in the name of boy's family these people rip girl's parents.

These formalities make marriage a business. In this business how can a DIL can develop affection towards inlaws families. how a DIL see MIL as a mother or adjust with her when at every stage she has to pay to live with them.

I really dont have a open fight with my MIL, but i have a inner hatred towards her because of all these formalities posed on us.

Just wanted to know your opinion/ideas behind these formalities. why are these created to rip girl's side or is there any good intentions behind these formalitites as this formalities were created long time back.

Caide, kcb, vrikshakadali and 2 others like this.

2. amruth123

amruth123 New IL'ite

I went through what you are going through presently
    Itseems My grand mom use to say to boys side , if they ask anything
    We don't have those customs - sorry
    Just ignore , don't pay attention
    Don't take it to heart,
    If your husband don't support you ,
    Start giving your MIL
    Witty back answers and be extra nice to them in front of your husband
    Play dumb when your Mil talks about any
    Customs that you need to follow
    Trust me things will get better

vrikshakadali likes this.
  3. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Actually the bitter truth is, even if the boy's parents are quite without asking for any gifts, their relatives keep asking them as to what the DIL has brought home. This leads to expectations even from genuine parents because it becomes a status problem.
    Only time can change these. With more demand for brides and girls being educated and working these days, slowly the custom should diminish. But I doubt if there will be complete removal of these customs.

But as you say, it is difficult to develop bonding with the in-laws family when we know they are demanding. The only solution for all these is to develop a strong bond with the husband.

sindmani likes this.
  4. SimplelLife

SimplelLife Silver IL'ite

I agree with you these incidents makes us bitter in long run.. In my side also there are customs for sending sweets to every festival to grooms family before and after wedding... In my family if they follow ..it's ok if not no one ask for sending it to my Sil's family but my mil used to ask my parents to send them money for ritual since they are far away from their home and even after getting money she never distribute in relatives. She ask me to ask my parents to send money for my udyapan of some fast.. I never seen this in my family .. If I am doing fasting for your son why should my parents pay for udyapan. Initially my relation with pil's were good and cordial but constant these things make them unpleasant to me. Every time I got to know such things from my family I was so shameful.my husband is earning well and these people behaves in this manner. For them there is no such rule .. I always went back my home empty handed .. Mil can not send some sweets too. So some time back I ask my family to ask me before sending them anything. Now when I am pregnant mil called my parents and asked to send stuff for me and baby which my family don't follow .. So they told that we dont follow such custom.. I am relieved after years.. This thing made her furious I got clue from DH. The thing is that she don't even inform us before askinhg something at my family... When she told DH that they said no to send anything he got furious over her and asked her follow herself her ritual... I was happy.

5. SimplelLife

SimplelLife Silver IL'ite

If I tell something very normal to mil everything keep coming to DH with some extra masala in it .. A very simple example she complained me to not calling her and I knew that DH talked to her recently 2-3 days back so I told her DH had been talking to you so you are getting our well being anyways for this thing she told DH that I told her that DH called her from office daily... This is a very small example about general reply to her for something .. It's hard to deal with in laws anyway.

6. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Thanks a lot for you inputs. Out of frustration i posted here to understand am i thinking / doing the wrong way.

I have people in my thoughts too.

In my husband's family ( Girls from Sivakasi) happily accept this as a status. they come home asking that their MIL asked such things and they dont feel the shame. Girls see me very differently when i tell i feel ashamed to ask these to my parents.

At times i feel my husband will also think the same way. it happened , once i got a small earring for my daughter around 4 gms. His argument was, during ear piercing ceremony ( happened when my baby was 9 months, now she is 4 yrs) your parents gifted only 2 grm earring ( 2 nos) . had they given some earring for 4 gms, we would have one good earring for my daughter. i was taken back. this guy working in MNC, well educated, good earning i could not digest he too thinks the same way as his mother.

my parents got 2 gms earring as it will be easy for both piercer & baby, and the needle t0 pierce will be of small width.

And that too my parents will get a material only for that function. Apart from that for usual activities we as a parents should get things. i really could not digest this.

These people will reap what they sow.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  7. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Character, Attitude, Values. These are different from degree, work position and salary.
    He makes good money but the former is lacking.

8. vrikshakadali

vrikshakadali Silver IL'ite

Dear @sanarthi , your in-laws are greedy people, custom or no custom ! In different parts of India we have similar customs i.e. daughter and son-in-law visiting brides place for major festivals and being sent back with gifts.

9. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

This is where the self respect, pride and the character of H should come. Being a man is completely different, it's irrespective of education, financial situation or job.

I do not blame MIL or relatives here, because they are from a generation back. It is 100% H's fault. He should behave like a man and oppose these customs of looting his wife's parents. If he is a real man -

Can't he bear his own child's expenses, it is his child, he should be proud to pay the delivery cost of his own child. Why his wife's parents has to gift gold chain or ear rings etc. Can't he buy a gold chain/ear rings for his own child? If grand parents are giving those gifts out of love, that's a different thing, but they should not be forced in the name of customs. He produces kids and the wife's parents become victims for this.

I don't think these customs are for good. These are completely useless and made by selfish people.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  10. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

@sanarthi, Are you from Sivakasi???....

I know a girl who got married to a sivakasi boy. MIL was so rude that she left parents of the girl in guilty on the first day itself asking for 'seethanam'.

Similarly, the got all her gold and locked it. During seemantham, she was waiting till last minute of the function to wear her ornaments. After seemantham, she was taken to parents place and her DH came along with MIL to get the gold back though the day was auspicious.