Need Information on PMP certification

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Sumeru, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Hi Sihi,

The fact that you passed PMP during you pregnancy adds more weight to it ! Congrats for the same. Looks like you are into the 'Process' thing ! PMP and 6sigma certifications, Wow !

Also, could you pl mention the name of the book by Rita Mulcahy, I saw a couple books by her, which book are you refering to ?

Yup, I heard that that the company does bear the costs of PMP, provided I get through it !

Also, I read on PMI, that once you'r certified, you need to provide your career/work details to PMI to keep your certification alive, every 3 yrs. Do you have any details on this requirement ? Does the work always have to be in a specific field like software, etc (I assume thats not the case).

2. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sumeru. Yeah actually I took it as a challenge at that time...They say right 'kid learns from womb to tomb':) and also what example do I set for her if I fail:) Everyone in my office used to tease me that I am in the process of 'making' a project manager in my womb itself:)

The Rita Mulcahy book I am talking about is Amazon.com: PMP Exam Prep, Fifth Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam: Rita Mulcahy: Books. Check it out. It will have practice tests too.

Yes once we pass the exam...within 3 years of passing we have to collect 60 PDU's to maintain the PMP certification alive for the next 3 years. Its not just work details, we have to take additional courses or do some teaching and stuff to gain PDU's. If we fail to do that, then we have to take the exam all over again. So right now I am in the process of collecting PDU's as my third year will end this year. Have to collect 14 more PDU's thats all:)

Also note that Project management is not for just software, it can be any field.

I feel the course at pmstudy.com is the cheapest..the one I had joined in the local university costed more. But my company paid for it once I passed the exam though.

Good luck reading!
    Sihi

3. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Dear Sihi, Thanks a lot for the info. I will revert back to you when I have some clarifications. Over to my prep now !

4. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Sihi,
    that was quite a deal of info.But could you pls explain more on how it impacts the career...who generally take up those...I mean which field people..(I'm asking these details for my sis)

5. kswati

kswati New IL'ite

Hi Sumeru!!
    Thanks a ton!! for this valuable information i was unaware of any such course. I shall surely go thru the links u have forwarded andgive a try. Any such information, courses online keep me updated. And thanks again.

Swati

6. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Hi Folks,

I came across an ad on PMI website. If offers various packages for PMP training - 35 hrs online program and a certificate for the same. It has many other PMP packages (silve, gold, platinum). It claims to be PMI approved also.

The 35 hrs basic program costs $195 and is accessible for 90 days 24/7, once registered.

Anyone has any idea how authentic & good is the basic 35 hrs contact program for PMP from this website ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014