Need Information on PMP certification

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Sumeru, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Hi Folks,

I'm planning with some colleagues to take the PMP certification (Project Management Professional). Anyone who has relevant info on the same, the best training courses, resources, websites, training material, PMP discussion groups, etc, please keep us posted.

(We have looked up at the relevant sites, etc to kickoff, but I would like to gather as much info as possible on this.)

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Sumeru,
    Please join Satyam Yahoo groups and browse the previous threads/posts...
    You will get all the information needed.

Good luck.

3. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Hi Sumeru,

My husband is PMP certified, and he has been asking me to get certified too. He got me the PMBOK guide by Rita Mulcahy and also the PMBOK book, but I somehow never find the time to read. I will ask him to write some notes and post in the forum.

In the meanwhile, maybe we could do some "joint study" kinda thing over IL.

Regards
    Vidya

4. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Hi Punitha,

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll try this out and get back to you.

5. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

Thats a good idea. We could plan out something to study together. Do keep me posted on updates from your end.

6. kswati

kswati New IL'ite

Hey what is this PMP all about? Can u give me the details of who can do it, how to do it and how does it benefit ones career prospects. I am Engineering graduate working in Kuwait and want to boost my CV and career prospects, can u help me?
    Thanks

Swati

7. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hi Sumeru,

2 years back I took this exam when I was almost due to deliver my daughter:) I would say read PMBOK book and Rita Mulcahy...that helped me a lot. Also I had joined course to get the required training hours at a local university and the study material from there helped me a lot. Especially the mock tests. I feel, the more sample tests you take, the better prepared you will be.

Also try PMStudy.com website and see if you find any course useful there.

I used this site to finish my 6Sigma ceritifcation recently.

Regards,
    Sihi

8. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Hi Sihi,

Thanks for the feedback and info. Will check these out for sure.

PMBOK book can be obtained only from PMI website, that too only if you pay to be a memeber on PMI, right ? Or is it downloadable for free ?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  9. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Hi Swati,

PMP is a certification that proves your proficiency in project managment. Please visit the link of PMI below for more details. I've provided below a gist of the PMP details from PMI website.

Link - PMI - PMP Certification Details

The Project Management Professional (PMP®) Credential

Individuals who hold PMI’s PMP credential demonstrate a proficient level of project management leadership skills, and as a result are able to command salaries that exceed those of their non-credentialed counterparts.
    To be eligible for a PMP credential, you must meet specific guidelines that objectively measure experience, education and professional knowledge. You also must agree to adhere to the [​IMG]PMI Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct and pass a rigorous multiple-choice examination that assesses your abilities in project management.
    Eligibility
    • Applicants must have 35 hours of specific project management education. • With a Bachelor’s Degree (or the global equivalent): Applicants must have a minimum three years’ professional project management experience, during which 4,500 hours are spent leading and directing project tasks, up to eight years from the time of application.
    • Without a Bachelor’s Degree (or the global equivalent): Applicants must have a minimum five years’ professional project management experience, during which at least 7,500 hours are spent leading and directing project tasks, up to eight years from the time of application.
    The PMP Credential Examination
    This four-hour examination composed of 200 multiple-choice questions measures your ability to apply knowledge, skills and techniques used in project management. The examination is developed by groups of individuals from around the globe who hold the PMP credential and is routinely reviewed and revised to ensure the best and consistently objective assessment.
    Examination preparation tips:
    1. Review the [​IMG]PMP credential handbook, the PMP Examination Specification and the [​IMG]PMP Sample Questions document (not for commercial use). • Study the PMBOK® Guide—Third Edition and other texts that discuss the management of communications, cost, human resources, integration, procurement, quality, risk, scope and time, as well as a project manager's social and professional responsibilities.
    2. • Enroll in formal study courses.
    For more information, see:
    Steps to Obtaining a PMP Credential:
    1. 1. Complete an online application or download an application and submit via mail (faxes not accepted). 2. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will receive an e-mail explaining how to schedule the exam.
    2. 3. Individuals who attain a credential from PMI will be added to PMI's Online Credential Registry and may immediately use the credential designation after their name.
    Hope this helps to get you started. Good Luck !

10. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Yes PMBOK book (hardcopy) will be sent to your home address and also downloadable from PMI.org once you become a member. Anyway you have to be a member to write the exam. Also check with your company HR, they might expense the membership fees for you. Thats what my company does....every year I renew membership and expense it.
    In the courses I attended, the thumb rule to pass the exam was to read PMBOK book atleast 3 times and Rita Mulcahy once and then attempt all the mock tests...you should be fine and pass the exam in one attempt.
    And thats exactly what I did...although I was nervous and dint want to fail in the first attempt...as I was approaching my due date for baby's delivery and then at that time the syllabus was also changing...meaning that I had to read a new book if I fail!!! And with baby coming I didnt want that to happen:)

Good luck with the preparations and let me know if you have any further questions.
    Sihi