1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need Information About Collage In Usa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by deepthivinayak1, Jan 29, 2020.

1. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Recently me and husband had a discussion about our kids collage education in USA. He said he like to save money and have debt free collage for our kids. I am home maker and he is asking me to go to work soon. His point is he like to save at least 200k before my elder go to collage(still 8 years are there for collage). Also he is saying, we have to take a decision to move to different state where collage fee is less( also said only if we move ,they give preference to state student than other state student) . His brother family moved to Texas, he want us to move too soon but we bought house just recently here in our place. He is saying Texas has more universities and our kid can join one of them very easily.
    I am confused. Any mom or dad who have collage going son or daughter? How do you planned for collage? What should I do for my kids?
    Anyone moved to different state just for collage?
    How do you saved for kids education?

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I am also in the process of gathering information to save money for my kids education(My kids are in elementary school )
    Please check my thread College Savings Plan -529, it will give some idea. This is very useful to save money for kids education like 401K for retirement. I came to know from one of my friend that her kids undergrad was fully covered by money from 529. Opening savings for them is another idea.
    I haven't seen any family moving to other states for education, kids only move out. For faculty members, there is tuition fee benefit if their kids go to the same university where they work. Other wise , the cost is determined by the course, location, university and availability of scholarships. But I think the kids should select what they want.

May be other Ilites can give more idea on this aspect.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Angela123 likes this.
  3. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Op

your husband is right about savings but u don’t have to move now. You can google u.s.a. Map with universities and u can see east coast has maximum universities. But usually kids apply all different universities and then decide depending on their requirements fees scholarships etc.

4. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Yes, I agree to DDream and ProudIndian above. When kids are in high school, you might not be able to tell them which college they want to go, unless you are so sure about the fees and the major your kid is going to choose. Since you just bought a house, moving right now might not be a good idea. Starting a 529 is a good way to get started on the savings.

5. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    We are not planned move immediately but may be in 5 years. I have to decide before that. We are in Central America, bored of cold staying here for long. Like to move to warm place and also place where there is good education and good universities. I am still confused.

6. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

If u r bored with cold weather then move before your oldest kid goes to high school. Once they are in 8th grade it’s very difficult to move. Texas is good for weather and quality of housing lifestyle etc. good universities are every where. Dont think too much about university or house equity. Tell your husband to search job in warm place. I saw lot of people got stuck due to house but those who sold in loss and moved to warm place are really happy now