Need info on Jaipur

Discussion in 'Travel' started by meenaprakash, Jan 9, 2007.

1. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

I'm from south & I'll be travelling to Jaipur next month.
    Since its my first trip to Jaipur, I'd like to gather some info like,
    important landmarks in and around Jaipur,
    addresses for shopping / what to shop for????
    good, authentic jaipuri restaurants, etc. etc. etc.

I'd appreciate your help. thanks in advance.

Love & regards,

2. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Info to some extent

Dear Meena,
    I have lived in Jaipur many many years ago. If my memory serves me right this is what I would recommend. But do check before any bookings.

Tourism in Jaipur

Among the must visit tourism spots in Jaipur is the Hawa Mahal. This sandstone screen was originally built for the royal ladies to watch the proceedings on the road. City Palace is another landmark of Jaipur that depicts mix of Rajasthani and Mughal architecture. The royal family occupies a part of the palace and another is a museum. Jantar Mantar is another must visit spot that is essentially an observatory constructed by Jai Singh. In the outskirts is the Amber is an example of classic romantic Rajasthan fort-palace. Jaipur Museum, Albert Museum, Birla Mandir Planetarium, Sisodia Rani Park, Lakshmi Narain Temple, Kanak Vrindavan, The Rajmahal Palace, Rambagh Palace are some of the other important tourist spots in Jaipur

Shopping in Jaipur

There are a number of must buys in Jaipur including semi-precious stones, Miniatures, handicrafts, clothes, jewellery of silver .

I have had some friends who just visited Jaipur so will get back to you once I talk to them. That info may be more current.
    Wow what a pretty place to visit the Pink City brings back childhood memories. Enjoy your stay and have a good vacation.
    Love,

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  3. meenaprakash

thank you Sweetheart!!!

Dear Anjana,

thanks for your brief info on the diff tourist spots as well as shopping advises.
    It would be of immense help, If you could get more info on particular road or name of shopping centres / shops where I could visit for authentic jaipurian must buys.

As a localite, you would know a few places for clothes & jewellery & crafts, etc.
    I'm eagerly waiting to experience all the pink of the city. I shall wait for your reply.

thank you again, Anjana.

Love & regards,

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

A shop's name Meena !

I have visited Jaipore twice & on both occasions, went to a shop called Dharyamull. I hope the spelling is right !
    That shop has beautiful, good quality jewellery, knick knacks for gifts etc. Opposite that was a beautiful bangl shop as well.
    My two cents, Meena !
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Jaipur Info

HI Meena,

The mail which i had sent to you, i am posting in IL for everyones benefit.

Actually we had gone to Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur.We stayed in each of those places for a couple of days.These are the points i would like to highlight:

1) Jaipur is a hyped up city, dont have too much expectations from that place. Jodhpur and Udaipur were far too spectacular as compared to Jaipur.
    2) In Jaipur the not to be missed places are
    a) Choki Dhaani -it is a 'village' that has the whole culture of rajasthan -- music, dance , and most importantly good Rajasthani food. U know Meena, they make you sit on the floor(PLs dont go in for th buffet type), put round dried leaves, and serve AWESOME rajasthani food! We spent nearly 4 hours there!!! A must go
    b) Dont miss tiger fort. The view from there is spectacular
    c) Meena, i bought a Ruby stone from Jaipur . We checked the authenticity of the Ruby in Chennai by a Central Govt certified shop and he said the ruby was a very natural one , but since it was polished (for better looks), its worth was lesser than what its supposed to be. However we got justice for the money we paid. Precious stones are supposed to be best in Udaipur and Japiur is famous for semi precious stones. Also theres a shop called Jaipur Gems and Stones.Thats pretty good. Ensure that whatever u buy has a proper warranty.Please note that most of the small shops also give warranty, but that does not mean that they have greatest of gems.
    d) Other than that, there are few good restaurents, but since u wanted the real authentic rajasthani served on an authentic style, u can goto choki dhaani the food is awesome. I think amma sent to you the foto of me and my bro eating. That was in choki daane pune, CD in jaipur is bigger and better! :)
    e) Dresses and Kitchen items, jaipur is a strict Nono. They cheat both on the quality and the quantity of the product.
    f) Sarees-- yes, i bought a rubber silk saree from a Govt Shop in Jaipur. You can specify to ur guide to take you to the such shops where the quality is good and prices reasonable. the rubber silk saree(Rs 1500) that i bought is unbelievably soft.its so soft that the entire sareee passed through a finger ring! Buy such unique items that you can cherish when u are back
    g) Miniature paitings are good and worth buying.But if u have a chance to got to Udaipur, then NOTHING llike it. It is the best place for shopping and sight seeing.
    h) Items made out of camel bones are famous there, in fact u can buy paitings which are done on camel bones, but pls ensure u buy them from decently reputed shops.In Jaipur its very easy to cheat on quality. They can just show white hard plastic and say its camel bone !
    i) Also work done with meenakari in silver etc is very famous. I bout a silver meeakari elephant from there. Slightly expensive but look typically rajasthani.

Purnima

6. meenaprakash

thank you, Chitra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Chitra,

I shall check it out - don't worry...
    pls do go flashback & try to remember some more names..... would like to get more names of shops so it would be much easier.

Love,

7. meenaprakash

thanks & good idea

Dear Purni,

thanks for the detailed post on your trip. sure it'll help me in my planning.
    good idea to post it here - it would be of help to a lot more ladies when they plan any trip.

Love,