1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on Education

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by priyum, Nov 8, 2006.

1. priyum

priyum New IL'ite

Hi friends

I posted this message in GD in India forum.. No response:cry:

So posting here... probably a much appropriate forum.

I am from Delhi. My daughter is in XI Standard. Has taken science stream. She wants to pursue aeronautical engineering. Both me and my husband are from commerce background. So we do not have much knowledge in this field.

After 12 my daughter wants to do her engineering from US University. For this she has enquired that she has to clear SAT exam. She will be appearing for it in April. While browsing this site i found most of u have settled in US. Can anyone guide me as to what else my daughter has to do other than giving SAT exam to seek admission in a US University.

I looked for a forum for education... but could not find it.... so posting here.

Hope someone finds time to reply.

Bye

Priyum
    <!-- / message -->

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai Priyum,
    you have done a very wise thing. I too felt that our members could help in such matters. Many of them are abroad for a long time now. I hope some one gives you the correct info soon.

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Doing Under grad in the US

Hi Priyum,

Here is a little info from what i have gathered. Yes you have to do SAT. and also TOEFL.

From what i have gathered, doing undergrad here in the US cost about 30000 to 40000 US dollars per year( multiply by 4 years). The cost given above is for tuition and living expenses.This will depend on the University you go to and the cost of living there. Usually East coast and West cost are very expensive. Universities in the mid west and south regions are not that expensive. Also you will find it very difficult to get Scholarship or financial aid for Undergrad studies. For more information, you should go to the USEFI in your place ( usually it is located with the US consulate) . They will be able to help you out more and also they carry all the forms for the test( SATs and Toefl). Check out this link for more info:

http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/usefi_-_chennai.html

Hope this helps.

Vandhana

4. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

expenses

Hi Priyum

yes, doing study here in U.S. is very expensive but I know some persons who did their graduation (not under graduation)frm U.S. They told me that doing work for 4 hours is allowed for students and they can make their study expenses by their own.They did't take any money frm their parents.They did work not only for 4 hours but for more hours in indian shops without telling others(indian paid them cash ).

so,u can check whether its possible in case of undergraduation also.

best of luck

Sonia

5. priyum

priyum New IL'ite

Thanks Vandana and sonia for the information. I will surely check the site that u have suggested.

Hi Varloo, I am new here. Hope to join some interesting discussions going on here.

Bye.

Priyum