1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

need help with selecting schools and apts in santa clara.

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Bay Area' started by ranjinimv, Aug 30, 2010.

1. ranjinimv

ranjinimv New IL'ite

we are relocating to Santa Clara from india in october. I have 2nd grade going twins. pla can anyone let me know if i can get my kids admitted to public schools at this time of the year.which school is considered best for indians in this area.and also pls let me know abt the apartments near the schools.I'm very much worried about the kids adjusting to the schools there. help plzz...

2. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Target the Laurelwood School in Santa Clara Unified School Dist. Its a very good school.
    You can check its ratings online, pretty good school I personally know.
    Also if you can get into any reasonable school in the Cupertino Unified School Dist, its good but the house rents would be pretty high in Cupertino Unified.
    Mods: Please allow the poster to contact me directly, I can help her in more details to find an apartment and school since I had gone through the same situation(though mine is a kinder student). I cant post those details (names and personal details of the apartment/manager etc ) on this forum. I can CC the mods in our private mail, if required.

3. Sharongpl

Sharongpl Senior IL'ite

A lot of Indians stay in Cupertino because of good schools, the best would be Shadow Oaks Apartment in Cupertino as many Indians with school kids there and school is very near and the apartment is not that expensive

4. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

There is a little trick here.. Laurelwood School is one of the best school but not in the Cupertino School District. So, if you get a good apartment(relatively cheaper to Cupertino district apartments) in Laurelwood school area, you get good school for less price :)

5. renuga

renuga Senior IL'ite

Hi Sreesri,
    We are also planning to move to laurelwood school area.I have a doubt that if we apply for laurelwood school can we apply for millikin school also_One of my friend told we can't apply for 2 schools.I think u can clear my doubts.

Thanks in advance
    Renuga

6. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Hi Renuga,
    You need some clarification in this.
    As you know, in US, for every residential address, there will be a HOME SCHOOL which is responsible to provide the schooling for the students in that residential address. Laurelwood is such a school for a particular geographical area in the Santa Clara Unified School District.

In every school districts, there will be some specialty schools which wont fall under any geographical address's home school area, rather they will be at the entire school district level. Such school is Milikan's school.

Now coming to your question, First you must apply for your home school for your kids.(means you MUST apply for the Laurelwood school first). After that you must apply for Milikans school for TRANSFER from your home school to the Milikan's school. If milikans gives a seat(usually they will take a lottery draw for all such applicants) , your student will be transferred to Milikan's school. Milikan NEVER accepts a DIRECT admission.
    For example, Faria and Portal schools are such schools in Cupertino School District.

So, the answer for your question is "you CANT apply for Milikan as a Fresh admission, you MUST apply for the Laurelwood first"

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  7. renuga

renuga Senior IL'ite

Hi
    i am looking for apartment in laurelwood school area Can anyone help me.If some one is in that area let me know.

renuga

8. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

9. chulbuli

chulbuli New IL'ite

pls pls i need to send you private messages :) need your expertise on the santa clara school district schools and housing

10. indianinbayarea

indianinbayarea New IL'ite

You cannot send private message unless you finish 10 posts