1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with choosing vessels please

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunitha, Mar 31, 2007.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear all

I am thinking of getting some good pans/skillets/cookware for my kitchen.Please help me with this.

1. To cook rice,vegetables etc in the microwave,what will be good..something ceramic,pls suggest some brandnames.

2. To make chapathis/dosas..dosas I am thinking of non-stick skillet or cast-iron ...which will be better?

3. For deep frying...are flat-bottomed kadais available? If yes,where can I find those since I have electric stove,I need all flat-bottomed vessels.

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Ok,so now that nobody has responded,I just went ahead and purchased a set of Corelle/Corningware bakeware for my first query.So,that is taken care of.

I am still thinking regarding my 2nd and 3rd queries.Have been doing a lot of research on the net for this and have come to a decision that cast-iron is the best for both...what do you all think?

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunitha,

I seem to have missed this post, else would have reponded sooner.

1. Corelle is good for microwave cooking, but for making rice in the microwave, please buy a microwave rice cooker. You get this in Walmart or Target for around 20 bucks. That is the best. I have never cooked rice in the corelle one. so not sure how it will come out.
    2. Cast iron is really good, but the cast iron pans you get here, you have to season them for a long time, before youstart. I have always used non stick. You can buy the really long lasting Analon/calphalon( anodised cookware) which is not teflon coated and use it for dosai chappati. I have one for dosai and one for rotis. They are a little expensive, but worth it. On my last trip to India, i purchased the Prestige Omni tava, which is like calphalon and it is great. I think farberware makes the anodised cooware too. you might want to check.
    3. About the kadai, the best would be the Le crueset ones, but oh my they are soooooooo expensive. But I have seen the stainless steel flat bottom woks available. not sure of the brand name. Am sure farberware will have it.
    Your best bet will be to go to the Folsom outlets and check out the stuff. You should get some good deals there. happy shopping.

Vandhana

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sunitha,

Even I have missed this post of yours. Vandhana has given some excellent suggestions.

Back in the days when I had electric stove, I just used a heavy flat bottomed saucepan for deep frying. It works. But there are flat bottomed woks available here. I have a stainless steel one, but have no idea of the brand name. You should look around and I am sure you will find one quite easily.

I have often cook rice in corelle dishes and it works like a dream. Just don't cover the pan while cooking and cover with the lid after the cooking process.

L, Kamla

5. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,

1)corningware&Pirexware:I use these bowls for cooking rice,boiling milk,cooking vegetables.

2).Correlle i have dinnerset.I mostly use the cereal cups of the set as serving ware for curries on daily basis at home.Since they are microwavable,i store my curries for 1 or 2 days in them and reheat when needed.

3).Its a good idea to have a microwave rice cooker.But since i have 3 prestige pressure cookers which i carried from india,one electric rice cooker in usa,i didnt want to spend on microwave rice cooker.Instead if i want to cook rice in microwave ,i cook 2cups of rice in corningware bowl for 28minutes.

4).And about the skillets,i always suggest u to go for calphalon set (hard-anodised).But since they are expensive,u will have to look for deals and invest on it.There are many other good brands like farberware,tfal etc solve the purpose of cooking but they are not durable whose life time would be only for 1 to 2years maximum.So calphalon is the best.

5).For roti u can buy the cast iron skillet.And for Dosas,pancakes etc, u get the nonstick skillet from calphalon.If u are buying it as a set then see that this skillet is included.

Hope this helps u,
    Vaishu

6. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sunitha

I love corelle corningware for baking too. Vandhana has already mentioned some very good ideas for all these.
    I use a prestige dosai tava that I bought on one of my trips to India. I really love that. For chappathis I have a cast iron indian dosai kal. I have not tried the cast iron pans here. The calphalon brand non stick vessels are all very good. Little expensive but very good and long lasting.
    Check these websites out. The calphalon kadai looks very good. But 125$ for a kadai, are they kidding. The other one Nirlep looks ok too. Hope this helps.

Love,
    Jothi.

About.com: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku7590664/index.cfm?bnrid=3100117&cm_ven=WS&cm_cat=General&cm_pla=SiteMap&cm_ite=Products&CM_REF=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.au%2Fsearch%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dindian%2Bwok%26meta%3D

Williams-Sonoma | Catalog
    About.com: http://www.indiaplaza.com/appliances/pd.aspx?sku=207178

For more deals visit: indiaplaza deals

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Wow, I am overwhelmed...so many responses!

Vandhana,I have already cooked rice and steamed vegetables in the corelle one and it is great like Kamla and VVL said.

I have been looking around for flat-bottomed woks and till date I have not found one.Last weekend,we went to the Vacaville premium outlets and that is where I got the Corelle dishes.Like you said ,Vandhana,I think I should try the Folsom outlets too(Both Vacaville and Folsom are about 30 minutes from my place:-D )

Did not think of Calphalon at all..maybe I should try that.I too have a Prestige non-stick dosa kal and I try my best to maintain it.Still ,grease molds form around the edges and when you scrape that,the non-stick coating goes along with it.That is the reason I want to move away from non-stick.

Also, can we use any heavy-bottomed deep flat vessel as a deep-fryer? I don't do much deep-frying,only once in 2-3 months.The kadai that I have has a slight flat bottomed,but with the electric stove,it takes ages to heat up the oil for frying.

8. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,

I checked the farberware website and they do have stainless steel flat bottom woks. So see if the folsom outlets has a farberware store and try there. Other wise, i think any flat bottom skillet with about 4inch high sides should work fine for deep frying. Make sure you get either stainless steel or the anodised one.
    If nothing else works, go in for an electric deep fryer!!:-D

Vandhana

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Vandhana,tell me,for the deep frying that I do,once in a blue moon,do I really need an electric one:wink: ...hubby will throw me out of the house:mrgreen:

10. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,
    Saw your post (and the good rsponse) only today. I am sure you know that it is better to avoid nonstick cookware as they are not good for health. As you have mentioned it really is difficult to maintain the nonstick dosa tawa. So I have changed over to good old cast iron dosai kal, long ago. I am sure you can get one when you make the trip to India. This is more healthier and once the tawa is made usable, you can make dosa without oil and crisp dosa with less oil. The taste itself is different and so good!

:yes:no cookware can beat corning or corelleware for m.wave cooking - easy to use and wash and store in the fridge. Latest research says plasticware , whatever best brand it could be, are not suitable to reheat or cook in the m.wave. Here again the correlle comes in handy - the dessert bowls are good for storing leftovers so that reheating is easy. The mineral water bottles are also a health hazard; they should be thrown in the garbage after use.
    :wave Savideva