1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Need help to stop snoring

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by vivbass, Dec 23, 2006.

1. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hi all,
    i want a solution...my hubby is snoring too much,:) so iam unable to sleep...can anyone suggest me any remedies for this???

2. Kitchuppa

Kitchuppa New IL'ite

Stop Snoring!

Dear Viji,
    For stopping snoring of your hubby you need to do certain preparations.I am not a doctor, but I have practically succeeded to stop snoring by the following suggestions which I gave to some of my snoring friends.
    1. See whether sound is coming by breathing through nose or mouth.
    2. Incase through nose, check the height of the pillow; you should give him low level pillow and avoid bend at neck due to pillow height.
    3. If through mouth, check with doctor whether he has tonsiles or any growth in his nose. The cause may be due to block of his nose due to temporary reasons like cold etc.,
    4. Ask him to take only half stomach full of dinner that too atleast 2-1/2 hours before going to bed. Best way is to take more water just before taking dinner.
    5. If his BMI(body mass index) is obase, ask him to reduce weight slowly @2-3kg per month.
    I hope that some of the above points may help. BUT HE SHUOLD BE INTERESTED TO STOP SNORING!:-D
    Kitchuppa.
    Saudi Arabia.

3. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

thanx

hello,thanx for ur suggestion.sure i'll check it out & i believe henceforth i can sleep well:-D
    thanx yaar for ur suggestion.
    bye..

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hello Viji,
    You would be surprised to know that I snore very loudly. My husband and others complain that they cannot sleep due to this. Sometimes, I sleep in the hall, if it is too much.
    The problem is, I have sinus problem and that has made my throat muscles very bloated. When we sleep, the tongue drops back into the throat and thus causes blockage while breathing. So when the air is passed thro small opening, it causes snoring. My condition is called as Sleep Apneoa-moderate. This was diagonised with an ultra sound and also a sleep study, done at a ENT clinic.
    I am advised to undergo a surgery to stop this. But I heard that there may be problems later so am not going for that. I am trying to lose wight- am over weight. And when the nose gets blocked due to dust or cold, the snoring is loud and otherwise it is not there. Sometimes, even if I close my eyes and breath deepy, I snore and it wakes me up too. My throat gets parched and dry and I drool too in sleep. I am trying breathing exercises to help me.The main problem other than distubring others is less infusion of oxygen in the blood which caused headaches. I am aso thinking of using oxygen intake to come over this problem.
    So, if hubby's snore is too bad, ask him to get tested with an ENT first.
    This sleep apneoa can cause even death by stopping the breathing in between whilethe person is asleep. This is a caution only, I am not scaring you.

5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    If you are in US you can get BREATH RIGHT strips from drug stores or Walmart.
    It may help to reduce nasal congestion and snoring. The strip can be patched
    over the nose while sleeping. It can be used daily. You can try .

6. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi Vivbass, vidhyalakshmi,
    I too join u in suffering from sleep deprieval due to my husbands snoring...:exactly: .i pray god that my neighbour should not sue us ....:cry: .earlier stages of marriage , b4 he started sleeping , i used to have a good sleep just a few minutes earlier .but after a kid has come , there is the need of freq getting up at nights , thats all with his snoring , my sleep has said bye bye to me in the middle of nights.

i even asked him trying the BREATH RIGHT strips ,no use upto today .....but i've to ask him to go to ENT ...,he's slim and handsome --no obesity, and strict discipline in eating foods,and doing exercise regularly also.
    or else instead of nagging him , i should find a way to get my sleep back (???? the only my way of getting occupied in america is thinking a lot ....may be i'ld find a way out ...reserve a noble prize for me pls..)

regards,
    harini

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    I am finding it hard to sleep with out any one knowing, as soon as I close my eyes and take a deep breath, here comes the wrooooom sound and I myself get up from the sleep. In the night, it is hubby who gets the jittersof my snoring. this is the only thing that scares him from my side.
    I have to reduce weight to see if that will help, but there is another 3 weeks to go before I could start on the strict regime.
    Wish me luck!

8. healthonmove

healthonmove Gold IL'ite

If you suffer mild or occasional snoring, wake up feeling refreshed, and function well during the day may first try behavioral remedies, before consulting your doctor.

Avoiding sleeping pills before bedtime, establishing regular sleeping patterns and try sleeping on your side rather than your back can help you cope up with snoring.

Heavy drinker are the worst affected with snoring, avoid alcohol for at least four hours and heavy meals or snacks for three hours before retiring.

9. AndersThomsen

AndersThomsen New IL'ite

It can be due to excessive drinks, excessive smoking or overweight. Suggest him to do little exercise to loose some wight. If he snore regularly then it will create many health problems, so help him as fast as you can. There is also great product from Asonor, which is an snoring sprays that will certainly help him. I hope it help :)