1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help...Mother-in-law wants sit always in front seat next to my husband

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by pandu1, Sep 3, 2014.

1. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

Why exactly your MIL sitting next to your husband irritates but not the FIL? If you have a normal relationship with MIL &FIL otherwise, hit a conversation with your FIL. I was comfortable having a conversation with my FIL than with my MIL. Actually, if my FIL was alive, this is the ideal situation for our house.

In a way it's better that she talks with her son than with you. I can't stand my MIL talk about her maternal family and silly jokes all the time.

Take a chill pill.

2. StrongLady

StrongLady Silver IL'ite

I understand your problem.
    No matter how much she miss her son, sometimes sitting infront seat with son makes sense but not all the time. If they stay for 6 months, so for 6 months you cant sit in front seat with your hubby, and then they will come every other year, so when ever they come its goin to repeat.
    MILS want to spend time with Son and have the DIL take care of FIL. thats so awkward i feel. my MIL tried to do similar way, but i always stayed completely away from my FIL.
    In my parents family DIL dont even come and sit with FIL. so i always expressed opnely that i wont even come infront of FIL. so i dont server him food etc.
    i cook and my MIL wanted me to go serve him food on dining table etc, i stayed completely away with all that.

so stop that habit now, but also you start talking to your MIL various topics. show positive attitude towards them and express you happy they came BUT they shoudl also make you happy with their visit.

my FIL used to sit infront seat, i infact complained to my husband all the time he sitting, so sometimes my husband calls my name to sit infront seat.

Tell your hubby that you miss sitting infront seat with him and you feel once his parents come, you start feeling distance is growing between you both which is not good. and this time you want to sit infront seat with him. next time when you go out, go and sit infront seat next to your husband. either to help him with directions or some reason.

tell you dont feel good at all sitting next to your FIL. tell your hubby he better make his dad sit infront seat and make his mom sit with you. tell him what will people think seeing this.
    tell this is unusual and everyone will think your mom is a dominating lady.
    she is dominating her husband and also DIL. this shows he gives more importance to mother than wife. he should treat both both mother and wife same.

if your husband doesnt agree with making you sit infront seat and ignores your statement that you feel distance is growing between you both. Start being very very dull and quiet. dont talk to your hubby and be sad. If he doesnt care, stop going with them next time. tell him you were so happy they came and you want to spend time talk etc, but your inlaws are ONLY INTERESTED IN SON not in DIL. Say this attitude is growing distance between you both.

tell him.
    1.You think your MIL is a very dominating lady, she makes her husband sit in back seat and sit with son. which shows how henpecked your FIL is. so he should also follow his father. he should let you dominate him too. you are going to repeat same with your kids when they grow big.

in my case - once my inlaws came and we went to a long drive trip, i only planned that trip and made arrangements.
    we were driving and my FIL and husband were both showing lot of attention to my MIL, when we went for dinner etc, they both were serving her food. i was silently observing,
    FIRST i stopped responding to my husband after a while. my husband could sense my mood is not good. he asked and i said no one cares abt me and my son. i told him he and his dad treating his mom like queen and no one cares abt me.

-First i made fun of my FIL to my hubby, i said i feel he is a very henpecked hubby and very week. i feel his mom is very dominating etc. my husband didnt feel good the kind of impression i was getting on his mom.
    - then in restaurant i told my MIL. you r lucky FIL is taking care of you and serving you WHERE AS YOUR SON DOESNT DO ANY WORK AT HOME and never served me food. i said son should start following the FIL. she was shocked and got scared that i will going forward demand her son to be like his dad. so she scolded my FIL dont serve me any food, i will do things on my own. so both my hubby and FIL stopped their drama and sat. she got food from buffet on her own.

at night we again stopped at a restaurant, i told them you 3 go to this restaurant but i will go2 another one with my son to eat pizza. and i left with my son. they understood i was extremely upset. they knew trip was my plan and didnt feel good when i was upset. so they came following me and showed all attention to me.

3. pandu1

pandu1 Senior IL'ite

Thanks ladies for all your suggestions. As Strong Lady mentioned mine is also same situation. My DH treats his mom as a queen and does every thing for her. Even they are in India , he calls her daily and talk to her for 30 min or so. Before they came here , we hardly have dinner together(me and my hubby) as I used to feed my son and he will start his dinner(doesn't wait for me) .. sometimes i finish feeding my son and join my hubby but he always prefer to watch movies in the laptop while eating(no talking with me), but when In-laws are present three of them eat together by discussing all the things and now he doesnt watch while eating with them.. and seems like my MIL doesn't like me sitting with them during dinner as other day we were changing the dining table location and she said we can just keep 3 chairs.

by the time my husband comes home from office, i will be in my bedroom with kids and my in-laws r in their room... i expect my hubby to come and see me and kids first..but he goes to their room and talk to his mom abt office things... if his mom is not at home when he comes from office(sometimes she go for a walk).. first thing he ask is where is mom..AM I NOT A HUMAN BEING TO TALK? When they are not here( i mean if they r in India) he talks to me and everything is ok.. but when his mom is here .. he always prefer to spend time with her .. i completely agree if they are visting us for a month or so .. i can tolerate these. But for complete 6 months.. i feel like very lonely and feels bad that wherever she is she has the 1st preference my hubby's heart.
    i told my husband that i expect you to come to me and kids first.. then other day he came first to us.. she waitied for 5 min or so and then she came to our bed room and started conversation with my hubby and they will continue to talk. I feel like she is very possessive over his son..

Atleast if i get time to spend with my hubby during the night time.. i would be OK but he works very late and i will be tired with 2 kids and most of the days i sleep even before he comes to the room.

4. pandu1

pandu1 Senior IL'ite

Regarding to your question,"Why exactly your MIL sitting next to your husband irritates but not the FIL?" because we came from a culture that males will sit in front seat and ladies in the back seat.. and that too i dont feel comfortable with sitting my FIL back seat.. when there is a need like if we r taking the long trips i can understand and no issues for me to in the back seat with him for a while.. but i hate that she thinks that front seat is reserved for her always even we go for 5 min drive.

5. sangeeta098

sangeeta098 Bronze IL'ite

I had the same issue with my MIL, she would always sit in the front as if it was her birth right, I started taking the driving seat and told my husband to take the back seat, he was happy to sit with the kids since he would hardly sit at the back, kids were happy sitting with father. we would even take 2 cars when my husband would feel like driving, MIL was irritated sometimes but I never sat at the back once I made my mind, you can try this too, it worked for me

3 people like this.
  6. pkm

pkm Bronze IL'ite

Dear pandu,

i can completely understand your situation because I was also a victim of a similar situation but I did not give up. I suggest you to occupy your seat first. It is your seat and only at your concession anybody can occupy it. Speak with your husband first, if that is in vain tell him if he is not going to speak up for you, you will speak for yourself and would want your dh to remain silent and don't come speaking for his parents later.

7. StrongLady

StrongLady Silver IL'ite

Yes after marriage , the seat beside husband is always reserved to wife. whether in a car or whereever.

8. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

Rreally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!whaatsmiley Sitting in the front seat is an issue? I feel it is a storm in a tea cup. My son always sits in the front with my hub and i sit in the back, so what?. Relax after all how long can a drive be 30 min, 1 or 2 hrs. chill

9. pandu1

pandu1 Senior IL'ite

Aaral.. here the situation is not only MIL sits in front seat..she is possessive over her son.. In your case, i guess your son just likes to sit in the front seat .. not necessarily be next to your husband..

In my case, she could have sit with me in the front seat in my car, while my hubby and FIL goes in a different car. But why i should go with my FIL in a different car while my husband and MIL goes together.. that too i dont feel comfortable always to sit with my FIL either in the back seat or in a different car...

It makes sense once in a while if she wants to sit in front.. but it should not be the case always.

10. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

Pairing you with FIL is what is irritating you more than front seat issue. Seems every one is getting along. You might let yout DH know about it, or just back off yourselves from trips.