1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Guidance In Parenting

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sakthi27, Jul 11, 2022.

1. sakthi27

sakthi27 New IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I reside in Florida,USA. My 10 years old daughter attained puberty today. I am having a mixed feelings and emotions. I have spoken to her about puberty earlier but did not expect this so soon.

Asking for help who has this experience earlier for advice and suggestions. I shared her my sanitary napkin and she says she feels uncomfortable.
    1. Any recommendations for sanitary napkins brand and panty style? Where to get it?
    2. Any recommendations for books to talk to her?
    3. how to talk about personal hygiene/monthly cycle without scaring her. As of now, she stays cool.
    4. Food recommendations.

Anything that comes in your mind/your experience that you think would help this first timer. Really appreciate. Thanks in advance.

PS - Plz help how to post a thread in Parenting form and Indians in USA forum. It says I have insufficient previliges to post there. how to edit the post title so it gets visibility.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    KashmirFlower likes this.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@sakthi27
    This post is shifted here for better responses at the suggestion of @Laks09

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Laks09 likes this.
  3. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Hi, nothing to worry 10yrs is normal now a days due to lifestyle changes and habits.
    Nowadays you get whisper period pants which are like diapers to be worn like panty. You can search for them if available in US.
    They would be easy for her to adjust to.
    Other options are kotex teen pads, whisper ultra choice and stayfree cotton comfort.
    Since its 1st time she might be uncomfortable so just assure her that she will get used to it and explain her using example of new shoes how initially it will be uncomfortable but later she gets used to it.

She might have so many questions and apprehension about the bleeding and pain.
    Please be patient and answer all her doubts and repeatedly give her assurance that this is normal and nothing to be ashamed of.

First few cycles maybe irregular and accompany symptoms like headache, severe stomach pain, nausea or vomiting. Explain all are normal and you are there to help her and support her.

Give her hot water bag to keep on her tummy if pain is more.
    Teach her proper menstrual hygeine i.e. how to use pads and how to safely dispose them.
    And also how to keep her privates clean.
    Encourage her to be physically active during periods too unless she is uncomfortable and in too much pain.
    Give her more fruits, veggies and good protein diet. If she feels better, give her a piece of chocolate or make her hot chocolate drink to soothe herself.

Few books you can buy for her :
    1. I am a girl, my changing body by shelly metten.
    2. Celebrate Your Feelings: The Positive Mindset Puberty Book For Girls by Lauren river

3. I'm a Girl: Hormones! By Shelley metten
    4. Chill Out & Stop Making This Weird: A Girl's Survival Guide Extraordinaire by kelly olson.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Laks09, Cheeniya and Madhurima21 like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@sakthi27 - Welcome to IL. After you post more than ten or so responses in other threads you will get the thread starting privilege.
    Regarding your daughter, it’s an expected change so don’t feel upset about it. Kids grow up too fast!

If she is cool and chilled out about her first period then you have done a commendable job of preparing her for it. Congrats on the same.

Try various brands of pads and see what she likes to wear. It’s a personal preference and she may like certain brands better. Also try various types of underwear to see what she likes better during her period. A lot of period panties are available in the market. You may want to look into it for night time wear for her until she gets used to wearing a pad at night.

Talk to her when she initiates conversations about her period and reassure her. They hear all sorts of stuff from their friends so it’s better we give them the right information.

Give her a well balanced diet. Other than that, there is no special diet to be followed.

The care and keeping of you is the book I was recommended for mine. It’s a good book. You may want to look into it.

Good luck!