Need Co-signer for student loan!!!

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by shadha, May 1, 2010.

1. shadha

shadha New IL'ite

Hi,

My SIL is doing her pharmacy in CA and this is her final year. for the first 2 years we got our relatives to co-sign but for the final year we do not know any one here in US who can co-sign. The criteria for the loan is, the co-signer should be a Green Card holder or a citizen in US. So, the people whom we know do not have those criteria.

Could any one help us on co-signing or any suggestions regarding this is welcome.

Thankyou for taking time to read!!

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

If your relatives has signed for the first 2 yrs why cant they sign for the third year also?? I didnt understand what happened there???

Also I guess you can try to take education loan from a bank in India and pay it up here in US for the fee for third year that way you would pay fee and also doesnt need a cosigner. I dont think any anonymous person would be interested in signing as a cosigner as it has lot of legal implications. Either it has to be your parents/relatives that can help you as cosigner ..

3. shadha

shadha New IL'ite

The relatives who signed for the last 2 years have obligations this time and could not co-sign.

I understand that we could take loan from india, but if we take the loan here the interest is very low compared to india and we can start paying the loan after graduating. But in india the interest is high and at the same time we need to start paying the interest immediately before we finish our education.

And the loan amount is $30,000 (actual amount is $60,000 but a friend of mine co-signed for $30,000.. now need co-signer for the remaining amount).

I know this is not the best way to find a co-signer, but just wanted to try. I didn't even think that someone would reply for this post, but YOU DID :):)

Thanks for replying srividhya. Will keep updating.