1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice regarding DH's behaviour

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by 1sam, May 25, 2013.

1. 1sam

1sam New IL'ite

I live in a joint family with my MIL and FIL. Me and my DH fight a lot and every time we fight my in-laws always interferes in our fight and take their son's side. Hence there is no privacy between me and my DH. I ask my Dh as to why my MIL interfere in our fight as no one should come between a DH and a wife's relationship and to this my DH says that she (MIL) will interfere . My Dh says so as he gets their support and I am being left alone always. My MIL interferes in petty things like making decisions in the house to which me and my DH argues as to what to do.

My Dh is always being supported by his parents and my MIL keeps an eye on us as to when we are fighting so that she can take her son's side and I being left alone. Fight's always happen between every DH and a wife which is the universal truth but in my case my Dh enjoys when he has someone (MIL) to take his side and to proove him right.

Please help as to how to take MIL out of the fight between me and my DH.

2. poojachinoy

poojachinoy Gold IL'ite

why are you fighting infront of in laws??!!...or even close to them where they can hear you guyz!...thats the biggest mistake you are making...either discuss it out in your room at night or go out somewhere for coffee or something and talk it out...or discuss when they are not at home...

you need to lay down these rules with DH first though!

3 people like this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Simple solution, OP is to not fight with you DH. Never ever. Be sweet and act faultlessly; then turn him around gently to your side. (Reminds me of a line from My Big Fat Greek Wedding - "A man may be the head of the house. The woman is the neck. And she can turn the head whichever way she wants.")

The important thing is to present a unified front in front of your ILs. So, choose your battles. Since you are living with your ILs, you can't take them out of the equation. However, if you deal with disagreements with your DH tactfully, you can avoid fights and the whole drama.

The parents will always support their children (perhaps only the sons?) It is only by acting wisely we can gain foothold there. Don't let words fall. Don't raise your voice. You don't have to agree with everything your DH thinks. You don't have to make him agree with everything you think is right either. If he says the sky is red, you just say "Well, that's your opinion." and walk away instead of arguing about how the sky is actually blue...

Read up about tact online. There are lots of good resources. Good luck.

6 people like this.
  4. destinedfate

destinedfate Silver IL'ite

I have been in your situation.. there were constant fights.. whether I wanted them or not. We lived with inlaws and grandparents.. so someone was always home, and my ex husband used to make sure that everyone knew from his behavior that we did fight. It was so bad.. so bad where my mil used to instigate some more, or add in other details to escalate our fights.. at those times I used to just go quiet.

But take everyones advice.. and try not to fight. I know how hard it is.. trust me.. even the littlest subject can trigger a fight. If you are furious at your husband just vent it out here for all of us.. but in front of your MIL make it seem like everything is perfect.. who cares if it isnt.. just fake it. My mil used to get some kind of happiness by seeing us so miserable.. I dont want to put your mil in the same category.. but still I think you should just fake it to your inlaws that you guys are happy.. and not fighting. You didnt mention in detail what your fights are about.. but learn to let things go(easier said than done) especially the little things.. and maybe your understanding with your husband will become better.

I have learned this the hard way.. but many many people do not stick up for what is right and what is wrong.. they stick up for their blood. Especially most indian parents.. they will always stick up for their son no matter how wrong he is, and the DIL will always be an outsider.

4 people like this.
  5. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

It is a good movie, isn't it? OPA !!

1 person likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The next time you and your husband are having a strong discussion, and your MIL interferes, simply stop talking, look quietly at both of them, start to walk away, pause and turn around, look your husband straight in the eye, make sure MIL is not in your line of sight or peripheral vision, and say softly but clearly to your DH, "You and I will talk about this later." Then, walk away with your head high, no tears, calm gait, and coolly resume some task. Remain in common areas and do not retreat to your room. After five minutes or so, start to talk with DH and MIL as if nothing happened. If either brings up the "strong discussion topic" again, simply do what you did earlier - pause, look at DH, and calmly say, "DH and I will talk about it later" and move away from there.

Do this a few times. Do only this. Do not give lectures about how things should remain between husband and wife and you should present a united front to all.

20 people like this.
  7. 1sam

1sam New IL'ite

I think that is the best way to avoid MIL. In-laws are just like strangers and we have to pretend in front of them as we do outside our house at parties or other places.And if they are staying in the same house then there is very little privacy between a DH and wife. Their ears are always towards us to what we are talking and doing.
    My MIL is also in a habbit of entering our bedroom and sit between my DH and me to listen to the fight and take her son's side. My DH opens the door for her and let her in. She is always outside our room and when she hears our voices or see the opportunity then again she enters our room. There is no privacy!:bonk

8. 1sam

1sam New IL'ite

And one more thing is that my whenever my relatives visit my house and ask for some financial help then my DH never ever give a penny to them. I left my job recently due to some health issues. So I am left with no money and my DH doesn't give any money. My sister visited my house and wanted to go to purchase a mobile phone but I was with no money. When I ask my DH regarding the reason then he replied that I do not do anything for his family (my MIL) . To this I said the she (MIL) fights with me regarding my own life for which she does not have anything to do with.and to this my DH said that whatever MIL says to me that everything is correct. So thats why he is not spending money on my relatives. I had to cut a sorry figure in front of my relatives and felt very bad and cried to myself that I cannot spend even a penny on them and DH does give me any money.

My MIL enjoyed at this when her son took her side!

9. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

Your hubby not buying a mobile phone to your sister is an issue?? Is this even called financial assistance?? and your hubby "not financially assisting" your side of people is opression as per your definition?? and what is it with you cutting a sorry figure because you could not buy a mobile phone with your husband's money??

OP... something is seriously wrong with your definitions ... first get them right please...

Your MIL's interference is a secondary problem .... first get your equation with your husband right ...

2 people like this.
  10. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP, MIL interfering when u two fight is an issue of concern, but ur expectation from ur DH regarding financial assistance for ur family (including giving money to ur sis to buy mobile) will bring interference from ur in-laws. If that is an issue for u, then sorry to say, but fights will happen between u two and ur in-laws will have a say. Set ur priorities right OP, then u can tell ur DH to keep ur fights between u two.