Need advice on higher studies

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Fortune1, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Fortune1

Fortune1 Senior IL'ite

Dear friends

I am 26 and married for almost 2 years.am currently residing in US and on H4.i have done my BE in India and have worked as a software engineer for 3 years back there.I have been decent at academics while at school and college(84% in 10th matric, 90% in 12th and 78% in college) now being on H4 am feeling really bored and low. As the days go, my confidence is getting a hit....I have always wanted to be career oriented.tried to get H1 sponsors but that too didnt work out.now am thinking of pursuing MS.we are also planning for a kid soon...although my Husband is very supportive of me for my studies, am afraid of taking the pursuit.am afraid if I will be able to study or not.is it really difficult to study MS in US or can any student make it? How hectic will the schedule be? Can an average student make it?please help me with your suggestions.

2. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

With your caliber, you will be able to do it. Everybody do not have to aim for stanford/harward. Do it from decent college u will be fine. Bachelor is hard here, not masters. Good luck, you can do it.
    Write GRE and TOFEL and it will boost yoru confidence

sindmani likes this.
  3. Fortune1

Fortune1 Senior IL'ite

Thank you Anamika for your encouraging words!

4. Vemala

Vemala Gold IL'ite

MS is easy than completing BE in India. So go ahead and get sponsorship and complete. Atleast utilize the resources since you are there. If you like, go for MBA instead of MS. You will have lot of opportunities.
    Best of luck.

5. whyamilikethis

whyamilikethis New IL'ite

Hello Fortune1,

Even I am planning for my masters. I just saw your post and wanted to know what have you decided. Did you give your GRE and TOEFL?

6. Imblessed

Imblessed Bronze IL'ite

Yes certainly you can do MS. If you want to start it in 2014 you need to start giving GRE, TOEFL now. There are some universities where you can start in Spring also. You will have to search it in your area. It is investment of time, money, effort but it will also help you in future. If you are planning to go on F-1 you can do internship, assistant ship also. It is manageable with husband's support and you can develop by practice.
    Doing MS here is quiet different from India. Yes, there is a lot of work, HWs, projects etc, but you get used to it, and this is all practical education not just theoretical so it helps. Once you are into it, you learn it. Try to find some students from your nearby school talk to profs, talk to students, develop some acquaintances in your field. Ask your questions, concerns to them. They will help you. Try to attend open house events for colleges, schools in your city. you will get an idea of what it would be like.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fortune1

Fortune1 Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I juz saw your reply...I am applying for 2 universities...They are waiving GRE...so am juz preparing my TOEFL...its next friday...hoping to start coming winter..How about you?

8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

first of all, u r in h4 which is a very valid reason.secondly, u can use this good time to study/pursur ur hobbies further can study if u really have the APTITUDE for that.one of my good friend studied and wrote her exams through her pregnancy.

first thing,study what u really want to have a career in and not for the heck of it.even if u do not go for a job,it will always help u if u need to.

secondly,just brush up your confidence.u can do it:)just tell urself that and give ur best.

9. catchjanani

catchjanani New IL'ite

Hi Ladies... Am a BE graduate n worked as S/W in India for 3 years... Even am planning to do higher studies... But am confused in 2 things.. I wud like to do online MBA as I have 7 months old baby gal.. I can't leave her in daycare this soon.. So, is online MBA valid here?? Then is it MBA or MS, which is preferable??

PS : Actually I badly wanted a job due to personal crisis..My hubby has to undergo some treatments here.. so, am willing to resume back my work)
    So am looking for a job oriented courses... Plz help...