1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need a solution

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by cheerful, Oct 20, 2010.

1. cheerful

cheerful Bronze IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Friends,
    I am hoping that will be able to help me in this matter.

I would like to know how I can make best out of the following situation.

[JUSTIFY]My husband is usually doesn't communicate anything. He talks general things like if we need to buy groceries, or if we need to take our son to Dr.or pay any bill. That means no other casual talks...such as about movies or music or people or family r friends nothing. He. It has been like that since beginning. So if we had to go for a long trip say 5 hrs., thee only thing he talks would be to check on if we should take a break at the rest area, or eat something. I have tried my best and always initiate to communicate, but no use. Similarly no initiatives from his side to do anything in our life..that means having kids, or visiting friends or parents, buying gifts for anyone. Basically there is no attachment between us. If he wants food he would just go to kitchen and eat whatever he wants. He won't ask for any help. Also he won't help me also. But takes care of son when needed. The life is as if I lives with somebody who only has a head, but no heart. He won't be able to say any single supporting word even when you are suffering so much physically or mentally. So I have nobody now to communicate. If I say anything he will get very angry. Extremely angry. I do have very close friends. Due to family and work and distance between us, whenever we talk I don't say my issues to them. This place is a very remote place with only 2-3 indian familes altogether in the city. So meeting people is difficult. Still I have some local friends and sometimes we meet...I can not work now although I have been working for several years. [/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]I tried to occupy myself doing lot of things...and I have different hobbies and activities..but i got bored with all that...and I am 7 months pregnant...I need someone to talk or do something together..my husband won't even smile at me or look at me..Previously Soaring Spirit had helped me a lot. Now I don't see her here anymore. I have told my husband abot my loneliness and depression. He said he can't do anything about it and also told me don't expect any consoling words and supporting behavior. (For eg. If I like any particular food, he tells me 'you can go and eat it. If at all he comes he doesn't eat anything there.) So he won't change. Now I know that. But my nature is different and it is hard me to be in a state of solitude all the time, so always I take initiative and talk or do anything to make it lively at home. But seeing the anger in response makes it difficulty day by day. Now the winter is almost here. I have no idea how to survive the winter, it's more depressing.[/JUSTIFY]

[JUSTIFY]So what's the best way to keep me focused in something fruitful ( no more trying to have a happy married life..:) ). My education and career background are good. Due to the circumstances I can't work now and I left the job initially for my husband and child. I am not regretting, i have a super cheerful and happy little boy. I need a long term solution..I keep myself happy for a week and then I fall back to depressing mode..by my always unhappy , no feelings, no talking husband. In that mode, no hobbies, no library, no reading , no meditation, sometimes no bath..taking care of myself and personal grooming all is absolutely not necessary as my husband doesn't care and I have lost interests.[/JUSTIFY]

I can understand the concept that just love everyone with no expectation. But it makes me wonder then why do we need husbands if can't even talk to them ?
    [/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010

2. Mom2499

Mom2499 Senior IL'ite

Hi Cheerful,

I can understand where you are coming from reading your post. Things can look very dim at times but just hope for the best in your dh and don't give up your hopes for a better married life. Happiness begins with us. Your baby in your womb needs you to be joyful during this time. Talk to your baby, go for a good evening walk. Don't rely on your dh to do or start things. You be a joyful person regardless of what his part is in your life. Let me tell you that a joyful person can be contagious. Your dh will start to notice and will want to spend more time with you. Being prego you can definitely have mood swings. Read a good book, take a luxurious bath, read good books to your son, purchase fun to watch family movies and play it when your dh is home and make it a habit of trying to involve your dh in something and even if it does not take too much effort. Sing to your baby, sit in your backyard with a glass of lemonade and say to yourself that you are one of the fornutate women in this world to be able to do something like that with peace and contentment. Kick the depression out. Don't let it linger too long.

You mentioned that soaring spirits used to be your friend here. I know I have had a busy season also and could not visit IL, may be she is also in a busy phase in her life. In the meantime, I can be your friend. Just take it easy. Life is precious. :)

By the way, I like your username. It is very promising:thumbsup

3. nishatw

nishatw Senior IL'ite

Yes cheerful, i understand ur situation. i also had such a marriage before and in my case the husband was abusive and a fraud who married me just to squeeze money out of my parents.and his parents also were the same. He never used to talk to me when he is in senses, when he's drunk he talked too much that too abuses and insults. Finally after one year i decided to end it. Because i also didn't love him or rather i hated him. I couldn't spend my life with him since i was just 24 yrs old. I didn't have a single penny with me still i contacted a family friend who was staying in the same place and booked tickets to my native place with the support of my parents. On the day of my flight i left all my belongings apart from very essential things and left without telling anyone. After i reached my home which is more than 3000 miles away i called him and told i have come to my parents and won't return.
    I took divorce and after that i met a wonderful guy who proposed to me knowing my past and now we share a wonderful relationship with me pregnant in the 6th month now. Now let's see ur case, in ur case abuse is not there. But i find ur husband selfish and that seems like an inborn nature.And since it cannot be changed, try to concentrate more on ur baby. If u were not pregnant i would have suggested u to break off the relationship and live ur life in ur own way. But anyhow at any point of time if u feel like doing so i advise u should do that. People say because of their kids they are trying to adjust. i think it's utter non-sense, kids will grow into better human beings when they are in a happy environment not where always tension and fights are there. If u r not working u can take up a job, engage urself in hobbies, talk to ur baby from now itself and create a bond. How are ur in-laws? if they are good then u can try talking to ur problems to them. May be they can put sense to ur husband. How's he outside home, that means to his friends and colleagues? I hope u have atleast the freedom to do whatever u like, i hope he doesn't restrict u from mingling with people or doing things ur own way. Anyways i think once the baby comes u will find ur life more meaningful. But don't stop talking to ur baby and playing with him. Create an emotional bond from childhood so that he/she will become ur best friend in life.

Hope i could give some comfort to u thru my words.
    Cheers!
    Nisha

4. cheerful

cheerful Bronze IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Thank you Mom2499. My husband have always been like this. He is never a happy person. It's hard for him to be in happy state of mind. I have been trying all that you said as I like to read and watch movies. But although we enjoy such at times we need a companion other than books, movies, friends. My husband jst don't get it.Like you said, SS is busy too.
    >>say to yourself that you are one of the fornutate women in this world to be able to do something like that with peace and contentment
    You are absolutely right. That is true. I wish if I could remeber it all the tme.
    [/JUSTIFY]I would n't be compalining if at least we had an open conservsation at least once...or even a smily
    Thanks again for understanding and for your motivating wrods Mom2499.
    Nisha,
    [JUSTIFY]You did go through a lot at a very young age and you are a brave girl. I am happy to hear that you got a wonderful husband and congratulations on your pregnancy. May God bless you with healthy and happy baby.

[JUSTIFY]Thank you so much for relying me. I do have hobbies and I always share a wonderful time with my kid. But that's not helping me enough to get rid of my prooblems. I lack a good company at home, an adult human being.
    My husand is not abusive of any kind. He is not interfering nor controlling. He is not going to listen to my in-laws about the issues. It's a communication issue, which I am not capable to solve.[/JUSTIFY]

5. sita2223

sita2223 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Cheerful, nice profile name

The only long term solution for you is to build compatibility, that will mean putting effort from both sides. It won't happen over-night, it takes time. Don't give up. Though it is frustrating to try to initiate conversations all the time when you don't get proper responses, sometimes perseverance pays.

The key is perseverance, not giving up. Change your approach. Show your anger and displeasure in a cute way. If he is not talking to you, don't behave like a 'disappointed woman/wife':rant, instead behave like an 'upset teenage girl' :roll: and keep nagging him to talk in a childish way. If you deal with him as a matured woman, he will react in a serious tone. Instead bring out the child in you. Just like your son puts up sad puppy faces and plays tantrums for chocolates, you have to show your anger in a cute way. Stare at him with a sad puppy face :frown: and he will definitely double back to look at you and your sad puppy face might even put a smile on his face and he might approach you. Try it out!

Something like this -
    (my DH is a sucker for this face and I can get anything done with this face)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Sita,
    It may not be that simple.

Some people are more serious in nature, and they will only get annoyed by the puppy face, or they may simply ignore it.

I'm telling that based on a few experiences I have witnessed, specifically with the puppy face/upset-teenager type attention grabbing. If your spouse is a sucker for it, it may work, else if they are the type that will be annoyed by it, it will backfire and make things worse.

7. sita2223

sita2223 Bronze IL'ite

Yes, the serious type people won't be moved or change right away. That is why I said, it won't happen overnight, it takes time. Anyways, it is always a good idea to keep the child in us alive irrespective of our age.

She can atleast try this, instead of giving up on her H as a bad job and trying to distance herself by keeping busy with hobbies, right? Books and hobbies can distract us but can not comfort us. There is no harm in trying out a new approach... who knows, it might work. ;-)

8. samba500

samba500 Senior IL'ite

I second that. Even if it worked a few times, it will stop working eventually and when it does, the emotional overdrive from past can take it's toll :)

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I sometimes tell the same to Naksh when he provides some advice along that cutey/sentimental-cute line to someone else :)

It can work - the thing is for it to work, the other person must be a bit of a sucker (if not a big sucker) for that.

For some people, it will really rub them the wrong way and backfire.

We can always keep our childlike bubbliness. I am a big fan of that. But just be cautious if the other person will be annoyed and move further away since they may not be a fan of that. Some people are VERY serious by nature. You want to be careful about your approach with those types.

10. cheerful

cheerful Bronze IL'ite

Sita,...you made me smile...:)...I like that idea. ..it never worked for me..Whnever i showed that face..my dude replied...I thought " you were matured"..

Just for you, I will try that and ill let you know the result..First of all he has to look at my face to see that expression....The only place he looks is his laptop and tv hile at home....otherwise if I should do some mistakes..he is good at finding faults..that is the only time he responds..

Like spiderman said, he is too serious.....at least he pretends..it's hard for him even to smile ....he gets annoyed by it....I have never heard him laughing loud..even if an entire crowd does:rotfl.....but he is much better than before...The odd things is he likes excatly the things that I lke..music,movie..tv channels etc..So we just watch the programs sitting in same room without looking or touching each other....If i make any comment or anything about the program..no use..don't t expect a healthy conversation.he will get offended..

But when I think about my life..otherwise God has blessed me with everything else..may be it's God's lan for me to seek HIM than him.

b/w ..one of friend used to make that face..thinking about it brings smile on my face...coincidently my lil one and I had planned earlier this evening to do "make faces" game after dinner..