1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Navratri Special - Sabudana - Sinhgada Drop Oil Bhajiyas

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by shivachoubey, Oct 11, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

One thing that I used to look forward during Navratri was sabudana - sinhgada bhajiya. Hot bhajiya dipped in cold curd tastes just awesome and mind blowing.

I loved them so much that I used to make them all the 3 times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The bhajiyas will be there for sure. I used to make the batter in bulk and there will always be oil in the kadai. All I had to do is just fry the lovely beauties, dip them in curd and put them in my mouth.

No wonder I was what I was.

This is a almost non fried version of these bhajiya and they still taste mind blowing when they are eaten with curd.

Ingredients :

1. 1 medium size potato finely chopped into square pieces.

2. 1 tsp cumin seeds.

3. 1/2 katori/bowl sinhgada aata/flour.

4. 1 katori/bowl sago seeds. They should be pre soaked overnight or for 2 - 3 hours.

5. 1 green chili finely chopped.

6. Little coriander leaves.

7. Salt to taste.

8. 1 and half tsp oil.

Procedure:

1. In a microwave safe bowl, put half tsp oil and then put the cumin seeds. Microwave for 30 seconds, keeping the bowl covered.

2. Add the potato, mix well, cover the bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Open the bowl and check if the potatoes are cooked or not. If not microwave again for 2 minutes.

[​IMG]

3. Now, add the sago seeds, sinhgada flour, green chilli, coriander leaves. For half katori flour you need 3/4 katori water. Add water slowly because we need a thick batter. Just incase, if the bater goes thin, you can add more flour or if the batter goes thick you can add water. Lastly, add the salt.

[​IMG]

4. Take a pan and rub 1 tsp oil on it. Rub it with your hands so that the pan is nicely coated.

5. Now switch on the gas, you need to put the oil drops on the place where you will put the bhajiya batter. So, start by putting the drop of ghee/oil and then putting 1 spoon of batter on that drop. Then, again put 1 drop oil/ghee on the batter and cover the pan. One side takes 2 -3 minutes to cook on medium heat. Once one side is grilled brown, flip over and again cover the pan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both the side should be crisp and brown.

The reason why we cover the pan is to cook the bhajiyas in steam, so the inside of the bhajiya is all soft where as the outside crust is crisp.

View attachment 130177

View attachment 130178

You need to adjust the heat between low and medium. If the pan gets too hot, switch to low flame and then one you put the batter and cover the pan switch to medium flame.

The drop which we put on the bhajiya batter will seep inside the batter and will cook the bhajiyas evenly from inside.

View attachment 130179

6. Take the bhajiyas out on a tissue towel, this will further drain any oil.

View attachment 130180

7. Serve hot with curd.

Enjoy!!!
    View attachment 130181

Quick Tips

1. Remember, these are pure carbs so you cannot eat endless amount. 7 - 8 bhajiyas are more than enough for a meal.

2. You can make the batter and keep in fridge.

3. The bhajiyas freeze beautifully.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

what is singada atta?

3. shivachoubey

Dear CoffeeLover,

This flour is used during fasts and is available in grocery stores/ Its flour made of water chestnut.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

4. nriindian

nriindian Bronze IL'ite

in what name is ths flour available in market in the gulf...is it easily available

5. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

is there any other alternative for that flour?

6. PavitraVenkat

PavitraVenkat Gold IL'ite

hi shiva...the bhajiyas look lovely..will sure give it a try...just had a doubt...dont the sabudanas need to be presoaked to make them a little soft??

7. shivachoubey

Its available in the same name in Indian stores.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

8. shivachoubey

I do not know any alternative for this flour. The typical taste comes from sinhgada four.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

9. shivachoubey

Thanks for liking the recipe. Yes the sabudana needs to be pre soaked.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

10. dharshiniusa

dharshiniusa Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shiva,
    i read ur weight loss journey..it is v inspiring..i was always fat in my life..
    vv lazy to workout..i feel hungry al the time..i have a toddler at home and winter is approaching.i doubt if i could go to gym..
    i am 167 pounds and height is 5.1 ...plz give me some tips to be regular
    thanks in advance