Navratri celebration -october

Discussion in 'Festivals & Special Days' started by padmaiyangar, Sep 16, 2007.

1. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

dear IL member,

I wish to share some details of celebretion of Navaratri festivals which is to be celebrated in october
    in various parts of the our country.

.According to the Hindu calendar Navratri celebration begins from the first day of the bright fortnight of Ashwin.This festival is fully dedicated to the worship of Durga Mata and her nine forms.Navaratri are divided & devoted for the worship of Trinity of God in a female form - three days for Durga (Goddess of Energy) three days for Lakshmi (Goddess of Wealth) and three days for Sarswati (Goddess of Knowledge). On the fifth day, it is traditional to worship Sarswati Mata to invoke our sprit and knowledge. The eighth and ninth day, it is traditional to perform Yagna (sacrifice offered to the fire) to honor Durga Mata and bid her farewell. The 10th day, on which the goddess kills Mahishasura, is celebrated as Dusshera or Vijayadashami as the victory of good over evil.
    On tenth day, the Vijayadasmi day, colossal effigies of Ravana, his brother Kumbhkarna and son Meghnadh are placed in vast open spaces. Rama, accompanied by his consort Sita and his brother Lakshmana, arrive and shoot arrows of fire at these effigies, which are stuffed with explosive material. It is significant that the Lord invoked the blessings of the divine mother, Goddess Durga, before actually going out to battle. In burning the effigies the people are asked to burn the evil within them, and thus follow the path of virtue and goodness, bearing in mind the instance of Ravana, who despite all his might and majesty was destroyed for his evil ways. .
    The most famous Navaratri celebrations are held on the western states of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> (<st1:place>Gujarat</st1:place> and <st1:place>Maharashtra</st1:place>) in the form of Dandiya and Garba dances. In the time of dancing the dancers are moving around in a circle, with different steps around a lamp, which represent the Eternal Light of the Durga Mata. Generally Gujarati women dance around the circles by clapping their hands or decorated sticks to the rhythm of the devotional songs. After worshipping and 'Aarti', 'Dandiya raas' is performed all through the night.

In West-Bengal, Navaratri is the real lyrics of the Bengali life. This festival is essentially religious in nature. It is celebrated with true devotion. In the time of Durga Puja huge idols of the Mata Durga posed as killing the demon Mahishasura are worshipped in everywhere of the state. Huge'pandals' are set up every where to worship Durga Mata (Goddess Durga). The tenth day is devoted to the worship of goddess Durga.. Beautiful idols of the Mother Goddess are worshipped in elaborate pandals for nine days, and on the ninth day, these are carried out in procession for immersion (visarjan) in a river or pond.
    In <st1:place>Maharashtra</st1:place>, navaratri celebration is slightly different than other states. Here Navratri are dedicated to Goddess Durga while the Vijayadashami is dedicated to Saraswati, the goddessof knowledge. This day is considered auspicious to begin education, buy new homes, start new ventures, and weddings
    .The Dasara of Mysore is also quite famous where caparisoned elephants lead a colourful procession through the gaily-dressed streets of the city. During Navaratri Chamundi, the royal deity of the <st1:City><st1:place>Mysore</st1:place></st1:City> royalty is worshipped with pomp and pageantry
    In the Kulu valley in Himachal Pradesh, the hill- folk celebrate Dasara with a grand mass ceremony wherein village deities are taken out in elaborate processions. In <st1:place>Punjab</st1:place>, Navaratri is taken as a period of fasting.
    In Tamil Nadu, the first three days are dedicated to the worship of Lakshmi, Goddess of wealth and prosperity, wherein they perform puja, every night and regular cleaning is maintained all throughout because it is believed that Lakshmi would not enter if the place is filthy. The next three days to Saraswati, Goddess of learning and arts and the last three days to Shakti (Durga).
    In Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, women arrange 'Bommai Kolu', a special placing of dolls in various costumes decorated with flowers and ornaments on specially prepared steps. Nine young 'kanyas' or virgins are offered new clothes and sweets as the goddesses and married women share flowers, kumkum and snacks among themselves.
    Navratri is a festival that combines spiritual ,cultural and frivolous activities for almost a fortnight

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007

2. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Nice info ,Padma.Thank you.I still remember that was a time we used to look forward to.We used have an elaborate kolu at time.Make different prasadams .Wear exquisite clothes and visit people.We used to enjoy those house visits.As we were small we all used to count the number of coconut bags and savour those delicious sundals!!!!!!!!!!.Istill try to instil the same feeling in daughter.I feel the festival is slowly losing its touch.Creating parks and themes has its own fervour.
    Thank you ,Padma for that nice info well ahead..

3. We usually do not keep golu as per my in laws custom..
    But we do pooja and pray.
    Wish every member of indusladies forum a happy
    NAVARATHRI POOJA

4. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

Dasara celebration in Mysore

Mydear dear IL .

October being the month of celebration Dasara I though it is appropriate tell something about the dasara at palace city Mysore.
    The history of Dasara celebration in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Mysore</st1:place></st1:City> dates back to the days of Raja Wodeyar in the year 1610. Before that, it was celebrated in Vijayanagar dynasty, which was founded by Hakka and Bukka. Raja Wodeyar came out of Vijayanagar Empire and declared himself as an independent ruler. The Vijayanagar viceroy Srirangaraya gave him the golden throne, which embellishes the turquoise blue- painted Amba Vilas of the <st1:City><st1:place>Mysore</st1:place></st1:City> palace during Dasara.

Raja Wodeyar ascended this throne in 1610 with all pomp and pageantry at Srirangapatna, and inaugurated the Dasara festivities.

The throne is said to have belonged to Yudhishtira of Mahabharata. He brought it from Hastinapura to Anegondi or Hampi, the erstwhile capital of Vijayanagar Empire.

According to historical records, in A D 1327, Kampiliraya fought a fierce battle with Muhammed-bin- Tuglak, and died. However, Tughlak was not able to find the throne. Saint Vidyaranya Tirtha, who was also the pontiff of Sringeri Sharada Peetha, aided him in hiding the throne from the Muslim invaders. It was then given to Harihara (1337-57) of Vijayanagar, who salvaged it.

The throne was in the possession of the Vijayanagar rulers for nearly one-and-a-half centuries, and on the decline of Vijayanagar Empire, its Viceroy brought it to Srirangapatna. It was with Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan from 1761 to 1799 AD and was restored to Krishnaraja Wodeyar III in 1799, after the demise of Tipu.

On the first day of Navarathri, the golden throne is placed in the Amba Vilas. After worshipping the throne, the king circumambulates the throne thrice; bows to the Goddess of the throne, and ascends it amidst Vedic hymns and to the accompaniment of gunfire. The king and the queen observe total austerity for 10 days.

On the 10th day, Vijayadasami, which symbolises the triumph of the righteous over evil forces, the venue for festivities shifts from Amba Vilas to Kalyana Mantap in the morning and in the evening to the palace ground and Bannimantap (Garden stage).

Just below the panel carrying the mural painting of Ayudha puja, weapons like the swords, bayonets and guns are placed against the wall, which is covered with a velvet curtain, and decorated with garlands. The king, seating himself on a sliver chair, performs the puja.

In the courtyard overlooking the Kalyana Mantap on the Northern side, a wrestling combat takes place. Then the king led by his retinue gets into the silver chariot for the procession to Trinayaneswarar temple near the Northern gate of the palace.

In the vanguard of the procession are the golden palanquin carrying the weapons worshipped in Ayudha Puja, caparisoned and decorated elephants, camels and music party comprising 'nadaswaram' and band. After worship in the temple, the procession returns to the palace.

In the afternoon, the procession begins from the Southern gate of the palace and ends at Bannimantap late in the evening. The highlight of the procession is the carrying of icon of Chamundeshwari, the family deity of Wodeyars, in the golden howdah on a caparisoned tusker.

Finally, as the procession peters out, 'Nandi Dhwaja Puja' is performed to Goddess Chamundeshwari in the 'ambari' (howdah), which would be carried by the elephant

Attached Files:

5. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Hi padma,

In telangana region of Andhra Pradesh navaratri has a local flavor in the Bathukamma celebrations. I had started a thread here http://www.indusladies.com/forums/141278-post1.html

This was the festival most looked forward for by me since we get to go to our maternal grandparents house in the village which is a few kilometers away from hyderabad.

6. surgunj

surgunj Guest

Hello,
    I am a new member and have just joined this club.

I have been regularly attending the annual Laksharchanai during Navrathri in my city where they have been conducting certain poojas viz. Dampathi pooja, Suhasini pooja and Kanya pooja.

However i find that a lot of people including myself do not know the significance of these poojas.

So i would like to have some information on the significance of certain poojas viz. Dampathi pooja, Suhasini pooja and Kanya pooja.

Looking forward to some detailed information on these poojas

regards

Suresh Iyer

7. sudhabatni

sudhabatni Bronze IL'ite

Hello Sureshji,

First I would like to congratulate of being a member in this IL site. You were asked info reg significance of pujas .
    I got a little information regarding kanya puja during Navarathri festival.

In every State all the festivals will be performed but the way of doing it is in different way. Navaratri, called as Durga Navratri is observed twice a year, once in Chaitra(April) and Aswayuja month(Sep-Oct). It lasts for 9 days. During Navaratri devotees observe fast for the protection of health and prosperity.

Navaratri commence on the first day and ends on the 10th day of Aswayuja masa. From the first day till tenth day puja will be performed to Durga mata in different ways with different Avataras and last day(10th day) is Vijaya Dashimi. The day it is also called Dasara, means the cutting of 10 heads of Ravana by the goddess Durga mata i.e. removing bad things (passion,pride,anger,greed,infatuation,lust, hatred,jealousy and selfishness)

On Vijay Dashimi day, there is Kanya Puja also .Nine girls below age 10 are worshipped as the embodiment of divine mother. They are fed sumptuously and amongst other things, presented with new clothes.

If I get any other new information reg other pujas I will post it to u at the earliest. If u get any other info pl be posted.

With Regards
    Sudha Batni.......

8. dearladies,
    i will be grateful to one who gives me a brief idea to
    wat to be brought for the newly married couple for navarathri..
    my daughter got married recently and becos her in lawshave the custom of golu..
    i would also like to what has to be pushased for thalai diwali..
    though my relatives have given many ideas i would like to do according
    to sastram..
    in advance thanks