Nausea and Vomitting during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by simi, Jun 13, 2005.

1. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

Re: Vomiting Sensation

hi,
    just to reassure ladies suffering from morning sickness and wondering how their babies are faring?
    i also had severe morning sickness infact for me it was evening sickness..
    for upto 4 months..and i infact lost around 3 kgs during the time.. and then in the next 2 trimester i gained only 10 kgs.. so in all i added only 7-8 kgs during pregnancy.
    and everyone was frightening me that the baby will be small..i need to take second opinion etc.. but my gunaec reassured me that everything is fine..and baby will take wat is needed for him or her.

infact my son was weighing 3.5kgs..on birth..

so dont worry abt the baby..have a peaceful and healthy pregnancy.. and dont go on a eating binge for the sake of babies.. infact some of my friends gained 20kgs during pregnancy which they are unable to lose now also..

take care
    Prabha

2. Rishi_new

Rishi_new New IL'ite

Re: Vomiting Sensation

Hi Tanuja,
    Thanks for the reply.It soothens me that many people are there in my condition.Hope mine will get over too.Tanuja thanks for your time in replying me.

Easy,
    You are senior thanks for your kindly suggestions.

My words to all ladies here please post ur ra sound results boy/girl

and also ur prgnency experience.It would benefit others and fun to know genders for the babies also.

I hope u all do that

Rishi

3. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Feeling very weak and restless and frequent vomitting during 7th Week

Hi Gals,

I am 7 weeks pregnant , feeling very weak and restless.frequent vomitting even after drinking water.Donno how to handle this.Can I travel to india at this stage, am feeling very lonely and depressed .

Past 1 week I dindnt had food properly will it affect my baby health.Please suggest me how can I tackle this.I dont have any energy to stand and walk.plese help gals.

Regards
    Vasuma

4. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

re: Feeling very weak and restless and frequent vomitting during 7th Week

hi Vasuma09,

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I am 9 weeks pregnant and when I was 7 weeks and before I was also continuosly vomitting even water. couldnt eat any food. As soon as I had any food I would vommit. Doc told me that is normal. I am planning to travel in 3 weeks time and all my friends and relatives were concerned about me travelling. My midwife and Gyneac have told me its ok. I think you consult your GP since according to your body and symptoms she will be able to tell you about travelling.

Dont feel restless, I was also. But after getting help and support from our beloved indusladies, I have diverted my attention by listening to Garbharakshakambikai songs and chanting mantras. Try to listen to good music and always think about baby. I always look at the baby scan photo when ever I am restless or tensed. Drink lots of liquid if food doesnt suit you. I have water and fruit juices. I was told to take pomegranate and Cranberry juice since it washes off any toxins in the body.

Relax and go for a walk. I am telling you what IL have told me and that which I am following. I am also worried about my travel and next scan but I am taking it as it comes.

Take Good care!

Regards
    S

Last edited: May 1, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  5. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Hi S,

Thanks for your support.I met my GP last Wednesday and she referred me to St.Georges Hospital, Tooting.I think I have to wait for another 1 month to get my turn for first scan.I inquired abt my India trip to GP she told me its safe to travel before 7 months, but waiting to get second opinion after my scan.

Is it good to get juices from shops or we should prepare it freshly .I dont have any stamina to prepare fresh juice by myself.Absolutely zero energy.Will try to get pomegranate and cranberry today itself..Once again thanks for your support and valuable suggestion.

6. prettywomen123

prettywomen123 Senior IL'ite

Hi Vasuma09,

I also got my scan done from st georges hospital , tooting last week since I stay closer,. My gp told me I am 13 weeks but my scan showed 9 weeks +2 days.At st.georges when you get your scan done and when you do a blood test, there will be a midwife. She will tell you if its ok to travel if you ask. I think you must be going in to lanesborugh wing, FMU unit?

I have a friend who is a nurse and since I had urnial infection she asked me to take cranberry and pomegranate juice which I buy from Sainsbury's. Just see to that its pure and not lots of concentrated one.I dont make juice at home either. I buy fresh fruits from sainsbury's and eat them.

I am just waiting to go abroad in a couple of weeks time when my mum would make all fresh juices for me and yummy foood :)

Regards
    S

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  7. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Hi S,

Thanks for your reply, am waiting for my appointment confirmation letter, I think I will get that only by end of may :(.Nowadays am not able to have fruits also,severe nausea and vomiting:spin.

Have a safe trip to India.:)

Regards
    Vasuma

8. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Hi vasuma.

Firstly congrats on your pregnancy.

I want to tell you a couple of things from my own experience.

In my first preg, i too had nausea till 3-4 months and then later subsided. In my 2nd preg too i had this, but i think i was a bit matured by then to handle it. I somehow figured out it was due to my pre-natal vitamins. It may not be due to that in your reason but just try to stop PNV for a day or two(with your doc's consent ofcourse) and then see the difference.

Secondly, it takes a lot of positive attitude to handle pregnancy especially when we are away from parents. The more you tell yourself and feel that you dont have energy, you will definitely not have it. Try to read some good books,talk to good friends ( and not those who will let you down!) and chant some slokas.

Everyday morning as soon as you get up from the bed, tell yourself that you are going to have a bright day ahead. Its in your own hands to make your day a stress-free one. Eat food in portions if you cannot eat at a time. During weekends, try to get a lot of help from your DH like cutting veggies, making dosa batter, chapati dough, pre-made powders, curry mixes etc which will make your life easy throughout the week.

Dont try to sleep in the afternoon especially. This will make you more weak. I know its easy to say but try to have some occupation like taking a walk around your apartment complex or visiting a nearby store etc, whichever is convenient to you. This will help you to sleep throughout the night and be fresh the next morning. Also try to eat early dinner which helps in quick digestion.
    Hope this helps,
    vani

9. Triza

Triza New IL'ite

Hi Vasuma,

Congrats on your pregnancy.

Let me share my experience, I've two kids and I am a person who experienced severe nausea for both the pregnancies from the start of pregnancy till the end. You will not believe, I used to vomit 20-24 times a day and that is for nine months till the day of labor.There are medicines available to check nausea , but personally i preferred to vomit than to take medicines. Here are some practical suggestions:

1. In the morning, before u get up from bed, eat something and be in bed for another 15- 20 minutes and then only start your day. ( What I did was around 3'o clock in the morning I used to eat 1 or 2 pieces of rusks then again at 5'o clock some snacks. Eventhough this sounds silly this helped me very much.)

2. Take small amount of food in short intervels instead of having full meals with long breaks in between. Never keep the stomach empty, even if u do not feel like eating, or even if u vomit, have something which u like, it may be fruits, or biscuits. Take particular care in not to get dehydrated if u are vomitting severely.

3. If u have any chance to go to India, go. Change of atmosphere seems to be of help.

4. The golden rule is keep yourself engaged in something, if u simply lie down, it will be a tough time.

Hope this will help you.

Triza.

10. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Hi Vasuma,
    Congrats and i totally understand what u are going through. i am also going through the same thing. for my first preg i had very severe vomitting and nausea, lost more than 10 lbs in first few weeks and doc gave me medicines to help with vomitting. i had side effects like headache and constipation after the medicines, maynot be in ur case.but u can ask the doc abt it if u are loosing too much wt. i used to take the medicine only sometimes but then finally after 5th month i felt better.
    now again the same issue but atleast i am not loosing more wt, just few lbs. but managing without medicines as i am in 4th month,hoping that i would get better by june.
    try to eat bland foods,like sandwiches. try different varieties of food. i found that i can handle sandwiches better than any other food. potato chips with indian food also helps me. i feel hungry but i cannot eat the food. if i cook the food then i cannot eat it.
    i amnot even able to eat outside indian food.
    so for now managing with egg sandwiches, chicken and veggies sandwiches got for good resturants. it is ok to drink juices bought from a good place, just make sure it is natural juice and not the just the syrup.
    doc suggested we can take juices in first trimester and then later on reduce it and eat more fruits due to sugar content.

Morning sickness linked to smart kids - Canada - Canoe.ca
    everytime i throw up i think of this article and the baby and makes me feel better. just check this link, abt a research linking morning sickness with smart babies.