1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

National Award-winning Assamese Film

Discussion in 'Movies' started by pihusangma, Oct 5, 2010.

1. pihusangma

pihusangma New IL'ite

I watched a National Award- winning film this weekend. The movie was Mon Jai by M. Maniram. This film has won a National Award last year. The chance to watch it has always eluded me somehow or the other.

I loved Mon Jai. The movie deals with youth unrest at present times. It focuses on an upsurge resulting from the ever-widening economic disparity in the society caused by favoritism. Zubeen Garg is not a regular actor, but he has emoted in the important role with absolute expertise. The movie revolves around four unemployed youths who tread the shortcut path of earning money. They act out of desperation and try unfair means of making some quick bucks.

2. Ashapatel

Ashapatel Junior IL'ite

It is a nice movie. I liked it.

3. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

Can I get a DVD with subtitles?

4. pihusangma

pihusangma New IL'ite

Dear Madhuja,

I think you can get a DVD with subtitles – the movie has won the Best Regional movie award in last year’s National Film Awards. The film has also made its entry into the esteemed Indian Panorama spread. It won critical acclaim when it was shown at the International Film Festival of India. M. Maniram won a Rajat Kamal for Mon Jai – it was a double bonanza for the young promising debutante director.

Another award-winning movie that I enjoyed of late was Aai Kot Nai by Manju Bora. The film portrays the misery of the people displaced by the clashes in the Assam- Nagaland border.

5. piyagupta

piyagupta Senior IL'ite

Dear Pihu,

I have watched Aai Kot Nai on television. I loved the sub-titled version. It is quite liked in this part of the country. This movie by the acclaimed Assamese director Manju Bora uses the rains to express the helplessness and despair of the people displaced by the border clashes. The rain heightens the mood of melancholy. The film poignantly portrays the agony of a mother separated from her suckling infant.
    Aai Kot Nai has deservingly won the Nargis Dutt Award for the Best Movie on National Integration.

Regional films in our country are rich in content and form. With a little amount of national exposure, these films can win the accolades and viewership that they deserve.
    :thumbsup