1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Naming my son

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by VandhenaKrish, Dec 4, 2015.

1. VandhenaKrish

VandhenaKrish Silver IL'ite

Hi ,

I need urgent advice from u ppl .. I delivered a boy baby on Nov 28 and v both r dng great .. MIL n mom r taking care of us n mil s gud too .. Coming Sunday s d naming ceremony n I decided long back his name as Aadhvik Krishna n my hubby was like its nice n vl name him like that only .. Now nly v told mil n she s extremely against d name n says she ll not allow ..

I m very upset coz I fixed it for him n even frendz n cousins started Wats ap group with d name :-/ Hubby s n pathetic condition can't support either of us .. Mil s like at least give me 3 names y standing on one that too she says it's like harpic when v say aadhvik :-(

She s suggesting a name called Varun Krishnan n I like it too .. But how can I remove aadhvik from my mind ?? Very confused .. Pl reply immediately ..

2. Keet

Keet Silver IL'ite

Varun Aadhvik Krishnan

or

Aadhvik Varun Krishnan

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on the new arrival.

Friends and cousins know the selected name and even started whatsapp group with the name, while MIL gets to know only now. That is a bit odd, more so given that she is helping out with care of baby and all.

If you are looking for a reason to get Aadhvik K out of your mind - then here is a lukewarm one - first name ending with same syllable as last name starting syllable - makes it sound like one name, and harder to distinguish them as two.

Also, be a little careful sharing so much online, such as date of birth and proposed names. The problem can be shared even without those details.

4. VandhenaKrish

Thank u for ur replies .. Needing more help pl

5. Durga12

Durga12 New IL'ite

Hi Vandhana,
    I understand how much attached you are with the name aadhvik.

If your mil doesn't like it, I think u should respect her dislikes as well. She is not suggesting she will be the one to choose your son's name, but has just mentioned that she doesn't like it and she will be happy to choose from given options. This is far better as she is not adamant on one name.

After all it's a name. Everyone should be happy hearing(close family members who matter to us) that name. A person is known by his/her name and shouldn't be associated with any bad memories. If you listen to your mil, she will be very happy and will shower ur son with loads of blessings. Would you feel good if you against your mil and make her unhappy ? Can you see her unhappy ? After all it's your son, and you have the right to choose his name. But think are you ready to do it at the cost of unhappiness. May be choose something which you like and your mil likes too. Win win situation would be good.

This is the beginning of your son's life. Let it not begin on bad note. You be the one to choose it, but with consent of the ones who matter to u.

Sorry if I have hurted your feelings. This is just my opinion.

6. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Well, kids whose names start with "Aa" are usually first in the roll no. order in their class in India. They usually have their oral tests or viva first, so they have no clue what the examiner is like or is going to ask. I always used to feel sorry for students whose names start with "Aa". By the time, my name came (towards the end of the alphabet, just like Varun), I would know all the examiner's questions, and be fully prepared, and get great marks!!

So, one more (tiny) reason. :)

7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

You child- you and your husband should finalize a name. Those who don't like it now will adjust to it later. As a parent it is your right so don't let anyone guilt you into otherwise.

8. Maniya

Maniya Senior IL'ite

[FONT=open_sansregular]Aadhvik IS beautiful to hear, but still a bit uneasy on the tongue.

Compromise with your mil. have two worded name. one word you keep (aadhvik, if you can't get over this obsession) and the second word, let your mil name. problem solved
    [/FONT]

9. VandhenaKrish

Thx a lot all .. Yesterday was d naming ceremony .. Day before yesterday I told my husband to keep varun Krishna as official name n aadhvik for those who are close to him.. So mil was happy n in d function they wrote varun Krishna as his name n we were not allowed to write d second name but my hubby conveyed the other name aadhvik to all . .

While he was asked to tell name on my baby's ear he said aadhvik , varun Krishna .. I felt really lucky to get him . but to maximum of d ppl he s known as varun only .. I m really worried or kinda mixed feel I get .. I shud have stood stubborn on aadhvik itself or something s making me to feel sad n lost ..

10. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

abhiram krishna

u can keep that name.