1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Name Change After Marriage Will It Affect ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by harinivijay, Feb 23, 2007.

1. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

HI IL,
    I'VE A PECULIAR ISSUE, COULD U PLEASE HELP ME OUT TO RESOLVE ?

1. MY name before marriage is HARINI RukRam.
    2. all my certificates including engineering degree certificate is in this name(in tamilnadu , we used to have intials to specify the surname ) .
    3. even passport is in this name .
    4. i got married in FEB2003,in tamilnadu. in my marriage certificate , there is no column or anything to specify the name after marriage.
    issue starts now.:idontgetit:
    1. i got myself enrolled in a MBA program at pune on may 2003, but in the name as HARINI VIJAY,by the officials ,and my husband (he signed proudly as a guardian/husband) and myself signed it( at that time i was newly married ,so confused ..... not in my own mind ):-D. i didn't even think that would be a problem that time .
    2. my degree certificate has been processed last year(2006 )as Harini vijay.
    3. when i go for a job with this new qualification , will it possess any problem in travel to abroad,due to working reasons,or any problem anywhere?i got this issue from one of my friend ( if i'm in own mind and nerves that time ,i wouldn't have changed my name ....thats funny ,she's not understanding).
    4. if it so, what shall i do? i want to stick with my maiden name (name before marriage )( after lost one's eye sight,that fellow has gone for surya namaskar---proverb)
    5. i even tried with the university where i got my MBA DEGREE to change my name to my previous maiden name , but they said no,since the degree has been processed .
    6. is my new name in the MBA certificate ,valid in eyes of law in india ?(common yeah, i 've put so much of hard work with studies inspite of my pregnancy , travel to a new place alone with an infant to write the exams and so.... oh god !!it should be worth of it )
    7. how could i make a note to all , in terms of law , that my maiden sur name and my marriage surname belongs to me (harini).....(:eek:mg:after all it's my name , my identity i lived with it so far !!!)
    please ladies , help me out ???
    regards,
    harini(i'll stick with this ...:rolleyes:).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007

2. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

helo harini
    this is a common problem which every married lady faces
    whn i went to register my name for voting for mlc candidate in our area which is normally for degree holders to vote i wrote my intial after my marriage where as all my certificates had my initial prior to marriage the lady at the registration who is a govt official said we need to take a gazeted notification or something like tht where in we can change our name
    my pan card my bank accts everything has my name after marriage
    i think govt shd do something wht this prob or WE ourselves shd stick to our original initials rather than changing them after marriage

3. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

gazetted notification is the method to change from maiden to married name in india.

but if you pursue your career outside the country you can choose whichever one you want to keep & in you cv you can mention both names
    harini vijay (nee rukram) which means was born was rukram
    that way you can show publications, transcripts, etc in either name.

L.

4. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi lavanya , RV,
    thank u very much for ur information:goodidea:. lavanya , am i right if i write in my cV as

harini vijay(alias rukram), i could n't get what have u written there ? please clarify me...
    regards,
    harini

5. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

I would still put it as "nee rukram" not alias. Most often "alias" is used for different 1st names. But I don't think it matters which way though.

L.

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai Harini,
    I made the same mistake nearly. My hubby gave my name as R.Varalekshmy where as I am M.Varalekshmy. All my certificates and official name has the initial M. The bank did not bother because in TamilNadu it is the practice to have thubby's name as initial after marriage.
    Then, I found it hard to remember to sign as R.Varalekshmy and told my hubby that I shall have my maiden name only. It was settled after much grumbling. Now the bank does not change the initial back to M, they say it is best that I have R as initial to avoid any problem. I use M only now . But as I am not working now or need to have anything to do with bank account, it is not a problem.
    But the end result is- I do not have a bank account with M. I am yet to open one (I do not know why I need an account with no finance to manage).
    best option for you is- get it clarified with a lawyer.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

HI
    harini,

I think you can have your name change be affidavited. even you can get it changed in your passport. I think you need to advertised the change of name in two leading newspapers, get it published in the gazette.

If you are in india, i think it can be done easily, with the help of a lawyer, a person who is qualified to help you.

love,
    shanthi.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  8. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi VARELAKSHMI, SHANTHI , LAVANYA,

Grt ladies ! for your valuable suggestions .It's definitely useful to me .:goodidea: .thank u very much.
    njoy ,
    harini

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear harini

This is my experience. Hope you will get some more info.

After marriage I changed my maiden name as I applied for the passport after my registration . The passport officer suggested that it would be wise for the convenience of bank accounts/visas etc rather than holding on to my initials.
    But all my professional as well as registration certificates have my father's name in them.

After coming to Singapore I am totally using my Hubby's name (as surname) only. I got the job, new passport, permanent residency in Singapore, without any problems. But here We need to attach the marriage certificate for almost all the above applications. 2 years back applied for my Masters with only my education certificates here and they didn't query about the name at all. Now in my masters degree cerificate I have my hubby's name as surname.

I hope in India also there wouldn't be much difficulty. One of my friends says that you can get an affidavit from notary public/gazetted officer using your marriage registration certificate stating that you are the person holding both the names and the new name/initials by marriage.

Hope i am clear.

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

10. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi vIjee,
    thank you very much for ur reply with good informatiion. sorry for my delayed response.
    i appreciate all the efforts of answering my query to varelakshmi, lavanya, shanvy and viji.
    i'm relieved now out with this tension.
    regards,
    harini