1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nalangu

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by rajmiarun, Apr 18, 2007.

1. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

This is the most lovable event in all of the South Indian Brahmin marriages according to me. It gives a chance for the bride and the grooms family to interact with each other. Allowing the bride and groom to move freely.(Generally this is time when the family members take sides with the opposite person). Singing, playing and slight ragging all gives colour to the entire marriage.

Just give me your opinion about this

2. Vishana

Vishana New IL'ite

Hi Rajmiarun,

Tell me about this, when does it occur etc?

Thanks,
    Vish xx

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

nalangu nna nalungu
    deivalogathil deivame
    vilayaadum aattam
    u must see it in
    the telugu film
    annamacharya..
    suman and bhanupriya
    as perumal and thayar...
    wow great .....

nammudaya nalangu appadi
    illay enraalum
    kalakalappum
    sirippum
    maranthe pogum
    yaar yaar pakkamendru
    konjaneramaavathu

sathya

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

this game is played after the wedding is over, and lunch also over, both side people gather together, it is also an introduction to each other, with giving them the coconut to roll while they sit opposite to each other, here they notice whether the girl will adjust in life, will she allow her husband to take the coconut because he will try to pull it out while she holds it,in the north they put a ring inside a big kodam kind of stuff where the vessel is narrow on the top and when they put their hand inside to search they will play with each other where none can see, men r very chalu here...then they will tell the girl to comb the boys hair, with grt reluctance and shyness she will do, apply thilak and the boy should keep the flowers for her, it should not fall and so on, then both go on to break pappad on each others head, now there is a lot of variations from old times, virtually getting the first touch and feelings of sharing, and breaking of inhibitions and so on, but fun for the lot...they enjoy at the cost of the pair....regards sunkan

5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Sunkan has given a good description of what Nalangu is. I am remembered of all the Nalangus where we made all sorts of fun and frolic taking the sides of the opposite party and teasing either our sis or our bro. In fact I still remember in one of my cousin bro's marriage where my SIL came to invite him for Nalangu along with her friend and a cousin, when my father and uncle butted in saying our son will not come unless and untill you call him by waking him from sleep as he is sleeping tiredly(he was acting though). They know each other for quite sometime after their engagement but still she felt so shy to go near him and wake him up. But as people were insisting she had to and wake him up by touching him. WOW, the blush in her cheeks and the sweat on her face was quite a sight and till date we make fun of them whenever we see them.

But in the recent marriage of my maternal uncle's daughter, where they too know each other for close to 6 months the Nalangu was not much of fun. Generally when the girl have to keep thilak or put chandan the boy will do all sorts of fuss and will not show his hand and turn his head, and infact he will be advised to do so by the elders of his family, and the girl had to pull his hand to put chandan and hold his chin to keep tilak. But lo nothing happened as the boy readily gave his hand and showed his face and the vice versa too.

Waiting to enjoy it in another marriage which is falling the next month. Then will try to update you with photos if possible

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,
    Would love to share this with you.
    For my daughter's nalangu, my SIL's relatives & friends locked him up in a room, telling my daughter that unless she sings the most appropriate songs, the door will not open.
    My daughter, proficient in music, burst out
    Poongathavae thaaz thiravaay
    & went on to
    Enna solli azaithal varuvayo
    Eliyen enthanai inithu aatkolla.
    My SIL opened the door & came rushing out !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs. Chitra,
    That was very apt of your daughter, infact I am really longing to see one such nalangu, it has been a very long time. My husband didnot like the entire episode at all, but as my grandparents insisted it was arranged suddenly and it all happened in a very urgent manner so I dont really remember much of my Nalangu itself. As it was arranged suddenly no photos taken and no videos taken, though my BIL captured it in his handycam. Yet to (10 years have gone by) take a copy of it from him. Ha Ha Ha.

8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

My mom would say that such things they keep in our marriages not only to enjoy at that moment, even, in future, when you are upset with something or someone, can go thro those photos and forget our worries or anything which upsets us!!!

Not only that, in olden days, the marriages held at very young age; so, being kids, they needed some games to involve them and that was the reason, they have started all these entertainments.

9. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi rajmiarun,
    nice thread that u have started!!!
    nalangu is the best part of the weddin for all of us we get to pull the guy and the girls leg!!!
    there are various kinds of games like vethala madichu tharadhu, thengai uruttal aparam arisi tha paruppu tharen......and lots n lots more.
    chith that was nice incident that u shared with us......
    luv
    pavi