1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mysterious Adventures of po-j in po-land: Scene Defying Numbers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

I was keeping a low profile for the last two days or so. Partly on account of the fact that I was catching up with work that I brought over with me all the way to Chennai. Last night I finished the first instalment after remaining busy for the previous two days.

But there was yet another reason why I was keeping quiet. I was not my usual garrulous self because I was preparing myself to behave with civility when the need would arise. I knew that it was about to arise and today was the day.
    Well how shall I introduce you to this experience I was looking forward to? An analogy is the best instrument I have at hand. Many of you might remember Conan Doyle’s story The Greek Interpreter. If I am not hopelessly wrong, this is the story in which Watson was surprised to discover that Sherlock Holmes had an elder brother, Mycroft Holmes. And then Sherlock introduces Watson to his brother at the latter’s club, where Watson discovers that Mycroft was endowed with qualities pretty similar to Sherlock’s. Except for the fact that Mycroft had less of physical dynamism in him. But his brain worked with the same speed as his younger brother’s. If not more.

Well here is Mycroft Cheeniya for you. Known to others as T.V. Vekataraman.

DSC01306_edited_brother.jpg

An immensely learned man, a person who had served in the Civil Service rising up to the rank of a Secretary. He has turned to philosophy now, producing a book every year while attending camps specially organized in Kerala. A polite person possessing knowledge as vast as the Himalayas. But he doesn’t lack humour. He described to us how he had to drag a young reluctant Cheeniya to school. Cheeniya was not only averse to attending school, but was also somewhat heavy compared to his big brother. The brother therefore had to struggle to make sure that Cheeniya attended his classes. Mycroft made sure though that despite his own frail constitution, he passed on a chunk of his super active brain to his sibling. And you can see the final result now.

DSC01307.JPG

Mycroft Cheeniya told me a lot about his interests and work and finally ended up asking me what I did. I felt stupid, so stupid indeed that I forgot what occupies me nowadays. I think I muttered something or the other, basically monosyllables and then waited for him to introduce me even more to his vast storehouse of knowledge. Finally, we captured the four most important people present for the occasion in a photograph and shot off to Woodlands where Cheeniya treated us to a sumptuous lunch.

DSC01310.JPG

And back home, I am celebrating the occasion now in my own way. A saxophone cum violin concert Cheeniya took us to the other day.

[video=youtube;L_zpV3Zhs08]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_zpV3Zhs08[/video]​

6 people like this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

Man that was great, nice to see Cheeniya's elder brother. And glad to see u havign a great time out there, and i am sure u will go more often to chennai now.

keep posting OJ feels good.Give my loves to yr wife and to cheeniaya and his wife from me and harsha.And jopeing to see u in jaipur next, it is not a bad place at all eh

REgards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Oj da,

thank you for sharing those lovely pictures, especially of Cheeniya sir's brother. I have heard of him from Cheeniya sir and everything you say about him is what Cheeniya sir says. It must have been a delightful visit.

Continue the fun Oj-da and regards to everyone.

1 person likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

So lovely to see pics of Cheeniya sir's older sib about whom I have heard from Cheeniya sir. You are indeed privileged to get to know the entire family and to spend so much time with the. Glad to see you are having a great time satisfying your cultural appetite as much as the gastronomic one. :-D

1 person likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear OJ sir,

It is great to see Cheeniya sir's brother Sri Venkataraman,though we read about him in Cheeniya sir's threads. But that was the perspective of an affectionate younger brother....his childhood memories and even now how he cares for him . But you have brought the scholar and his literary greatness to us. Our respects to him. There is saying in Telugu which means " If mother grooms the elder son other siblings follow him." So, there is no wonder that his younger brother has inherited his qualities. Great to have two sons in the family as great scholars. Hats off to the mother who groomed them!

We are jealous of you for having a great time with Cheeniya sir and his family and at the same time thank you for sharing with us.
    You are introduced to the cultural, literary, typical South Indian food and music also. Enjoy your trip and continue sharing with us.

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Dada,

I see the expedition to Chennai is going just fine. I did wonder about the little pause and now know the reason for it. Not that you Must give us day to day account of your stay in Chennai. But then, you have spoilt us with your very interesting and informative posts that one misses them when not available!

I think it is very kind of you to include all of us ILites in your trip. But it is also very kind and sweet of Cheeniyasir to let you share with us all about his dear family. They say you have to test just on grain of rice to know the whole pot is cooked well or not. Similarly, just by reading and inter acting with Cheeniya, we can tell the heritage of his family. So I am not surprised that Cheeniyasir's brother will be another such gentleman. My pranams to him.

Thanks for keeping us entertained with pictures and videos. The Saxo concert will be a treat especially to my hubby who is a saxophone enthusiast!

L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  7. ojaantrik

Dear Kamal,

Yes good friend, it's an experience worth going through. In every society, everywhere in the world, you have what is called the creamy layer. Knowing Cheeniya's family as I do now, amounts to being acquainted with the creamiest of the creamy. This is one instance in real life, perhaps the only one I have come across so far, where the virtual does not misrepresent concrete. Cheeniya is exactly what he appears to be as you interact with him on the IL site. And his family supports this finding. A super sophisticated family, and at the same time, a family that refrains from (or perhaps is incapable of) showing off the shine of its culture. They are truly good people.

In my cynical worst, I sometimes tend to believe that such people have ceased to exist. But then you come across pleasant surprises. There is hope, as in HOPE, for humanity if a few families, such as this one, continue to exist.

It is a family that represents the quintessence of Indian culture. Knowing them makes you feel proud to be an Indian. Thank God I made this journey. I feel fulfilled as a human being.

oj

8. ojaantrik

Sure enough Savitha. I am enjoying myself and feeling happy to realize that in the midst of all the darkness that surrounds us, LIGHT survives.

Love.

oj-da

9. ojaantrik

True enough Satchi. Cheeniya and his family carry about them the magic touch you read about in fairy tales. It's wonderful to have friends like these.

oj-da

1 person likes this.
  10. ojaantrik

Dear Syamala,

All that you say is absolutely true. Even Cheeniya told me that if there was one person responsible for creating this lovely family it was his mother. Ultimately so much depends on the way a woman runs her family! Cheeniya's family is a living example.

And knowing Cheeniya's wife, Indira, is another fascinating experience. As I told him, there is little doubt that they have made each other truly happy. And the two together have made this trip so enjoyable for us.

oj