1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Vent-il Arrival-8days

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by BDivya, Oct 4, 2016.

1. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

My inlaws are coming tmrw for navarathiri and staying for 8 days, PILs and BIL, cosis with their kids.. A long stay which is a happy news for my son as he gets to stay at home and does not need to go to day care and also gets to play with those 2 kids.. On the other hand not a happy news for me.. so i will require all of you ILites to be with me and comfort myself because im expecting myself to grow angry/sad/frustrated/low/humiliated and what not..

I can anticipate few things that might arise during their stay here..
    1. They have arranged for a family temple visit on oct-14 which happens to be a friday..And many of you might know that in Aug i had taken 1 week vacation just to go to their house in hyderabad which is 20 hours from my city, due to ILs and H pressure and I had mentioned how i was denied my leaves approval by my manager and had to request him to approve..

so from that trip i understood that whatever i do is never going to please neither H nor ILs so that time only i decided to not take leave for oct-14th... ANd at the same time save my job by not taking any leaves..

So....tmrw wen they are coming they will surely ask me to come and I am planning to say 2 reasons for not going..But im sure what ever im going to say , they will surely manipulate H and highlight that im not coming for family temple... My H has already told that he is going to temple even if iam coming or not..

reason1: my monthly time is scheduled exactly that time...
    reason 2: in aug i took leave 1 week which badly affected my office n couldnt take any leave for even my son's fever..

2. They will start very smoothly and nicely that how we both r doing as a couple since they left us to stay in a nuclear family.. and they will try to snatch words from my mouth.. but im determined not to let out anything and just say-all is well! i hope not to give any hint to them which will form a base for a huge discussion for them and eventually lead to a fight between us...

3. my parents 60th marriage is coming on JAN 20 and since my parents dont have boy child they told me , being the elder daughter to distribute the wedding cards to all relatives along with H.. Which is the custom if no boy child is there... Now that inlaws know this wedding is happening, they will surely manipulate H n make sure that he doesnt do any duties as a elder son-in-law to my parents...

im frustrated thinking about:
    a) their visit
    b) all the above predicted-by-me probs
    c) other unexpected probs which may arise...

Just a NOTE : my H will behave very nicely to them and not even look at me when they are here and try to show his authority over me in front of them by shouting for small things at me, by showing me down, by telling that i dont cook or keep house clean, or whatever...

I hate to tell that Iam scared that they are coming tmrw...

please provide me your virtual-words-of-comfort ladies..

anika987 likes this.
  2. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Dear, have some confidence in you...on their arrival, behave confidently and politely....dont get so nervous...do for them whatever is possible....if there is something you dont want to do , then politely refuse and be firm on your stand. Like if you dnt want to go to visit for temple than politely tell them the reason for not going, if they keep on insisting , you keep on refusing...if at any time conversation is becoming unpleasant, try to change the topic, if its still going in bad direction,slowly get away from the place and busy yourself in some work.
    Dear, if your husband will shout on you or will show authority on you, than make sure at that time you wont do what he is ordering you to do...if he will say that you dont cook and clean the house, than politely and firmly contradict him and remind him what you cook daily...and who cleans the house. just say it once and leave it at that.

dont expect any praise from them and most importantly dont do anything to please them, do everything as your duty. 8 days are made up of time only , they will fly.
    Go girl...Make your inlaws petty with your confidence and elegance.

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Did not even read more than that!
    coz in USA,Inlaws comes and stays for six months a year literally..
    if you are a homemaker,you are doomed.imagine being controlled in your own home,not able to go out without their permission and do all the work like a maid when IL watch tv and ipad all day..

if you are a working women,you are again doomed as you have to literally have crazy extra work..

Problem is,some inlaws think they are a guest..for 10 days yes it is being a guest.for six months?unless,you have severe aging ailments people have to provide help and chip in as it is a FAMILY. Inlaws lament about their plight when they are in america calling it boring etc..can you imagine the plight of dil?we do not have any help here and its not like all husbands help us also.instead of claiming it to be boring,one can help and mingle with the family.If the son is your son,if the home is you home then why should dil's alone do the housework?Help in sense, atleast try to put the glasses in the sink,do not dirty your room too much,maybe watch our kids for movie night once in a blue moon. that's all we ask for!I seriously do not want any other help.but what we get?to go out with out husband means inlaws face will fall..then why on earth get your sons married if the dil is just an unpaid maid and all control should be in your hands?

They are coming as a guest to your home..compare it to our state and count your blessings dear..you will be fine.

coolmum, TedCruz and Lakshmi6197 like this.
  4. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Dear there is a saying- God helps those who help themselves. If your in-laws and husband dont help you around, then its your duty to minimize your work and doing only what you can do. So please dont expect help from anybody, help yourself and stop working like a maid....when chores will not be done , they have to move their ass.

5. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Dear OP - how about telling your H now only that he need not shout on you in presence of others. If he has any complains with you, he should tell you on one to one basis , I mean when no one else is around. Why on each visit of his parents he has to show his wife is under his control.

sindmani, Lakshmi6197 and yellowmango like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

1)You have a perfect excuse for not going to temple.Period.
    Use it .

2)If they ask how you are doing as a couple,smile and say fine.
    They are visiting after you people separated ...they will probably want to see that you are not doing so well,not able to cope.Don't give them the pleasure.Smile a lot .
    Give them your child...you will have extra time to do your work.

Try to talk to your husband and see if he can be normal this time instead of being the usual jerk.Tell him your child is growing up and he should not humiliate his child's mother like this
    Even after this if he chooses to be a jerk...just ignore him .He doesn't deserve your reaction.

Try not to raise any point that is an irritation at home usually. Just ignore the usual irritants for the time being both with husband and in laws.

If work is too much...ask husband to do chores that he is fine doing in front of his parents...like ,ask him to get sweets from a particular shop,do outside work.
    Tell him to take the child for a ride too.

Get some fun stuff for the kids to play with...like balloons,bubble making guns etc.
    Let them have fun in front of every one .That cheers up the room fast.
    Hug the visiting kids and take them out for(or send with husband)ice cream.

If you have the time...get a string of flowers ad hang them on the door like toran.
    Make a simple Rangoli before they come.

3)Regarding the invitations...leave it for now.Let them leave,then worry about that.
    Even if he doesn't accompany you,be prepared to do it alone.Your parents must know your husband by now .
    You can give the invitations personally to the elders and to the younger lot,you can post or whatsapp the invitations followed by a personal call.

Chill Op......relax,breathe ,smile.
    Things will work out.
    Best Wishes and a giant hug .

sindmani, Sparkle, chocolate and 5 others like this.
  7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

About husband being a jerk in front of parents, give a very curious look and sweetly say, "what's the matter with you? Why are you so tensed today, darling? There's no reason to be rude. Where's my sweetie pie gone?!" Blow a kiss! And if you need help, sweetly ask him for a hand.

8. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

I would say,reg oct-14 temple visit,tell them that you cannot accompany only on oct 12 or 13 night.Just make it look like you have tried your level best to get a leave and could not get this time.

For your parent's 60 marriage,open the topic with your husband in nov mid after your in laws leaves,so that he understands and does his duty.

coolgal123 likes this.
  9. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

First day :

They arrived at 6am and since then I started cooking, though MIL helped in few things.. Just after sometime they arrived MIL started the topic of temple visit to H.. She said indirectly like to confirm if iam coming or not - we dont need so much dosa batter as we are going to temple na on thu.. Then my H said- I dont know about her amma, but I will come for sure.. MIL - y she will not come?? I said - Amma, I have my P scheduled and I cant take any more leaves as i took 1 week off in aug for which itself i struggled so much and its not even a month and i cant ask once again.. MIL- if u say P as reason then its fine but u r saying no for koladeivam kovil (temple)visit which is wrong.. it will affect ur family only..it will affect ur son only..health wise..

Then I said- amma, i cant take because of the above said reason, i told her again... Amma u could have kept it on sat or sun right instead of friday.. then my H shouted- look u can u ll not come, but dont suggest to keep on some other day.. u cant say those things.. Then i said- it will be better if they keep on weekends, i even told this to amma on phone.. he was not ready to accept or stop.. he continued to shout and said - u can take leave for 2 days and go to chennai but not take 1 day leave to come to family temple?? (i took 2 days leave for my sis delivery..she delivered in june so i took 2 days off after her baby was born and visited her the next day...) and his mom also joined saying- u shud not say no to family temple..it will affect ur son..we shud always go as a family..

I already feel lost and crying...

I dunno how i will survive 8 days... I feel angry that H is like this.. but this is not new for me..H was always like this ever since i got married.. momas boy..that too we stayed in joint till last 4 months..so it was a hell period for me.. after they left us to stay as a nuclear family also no big difference in him.. he always used to complain about everything and always fight with me even for small things and always say that because of me only they went away...

PILs know that we are not happy and understanding as a couple..so they utilise too the core when talking on skype and wen we go there or they come here.. just like now..

As soon as she came she made him to shout and yell and bring in the topic that i took 2 days leave for my side of family and not his....

I dont like..i feel like crying... my heart is heavy now... still FIL is yet to come..he will come after 2 days..so once he comes again this topic will come and again H will yell at me and make it difficult for me to stay there....

Im scared now, as PILs will fill his ears nicely saying that i am not coming for tempple...so they will somehow feed to his mind that he should also never go to chennai ( my parents place) and im afraid if he will come for my parents 60th wedding..

10. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Divya,
    You could have stopped after telling the P dates, no other reasoning was required as you had expected your H's reaction about leaves . In laws always try to prove their point. Less you talk , better for you.
    Do your work as usual, keep the talk minimal, follow yes no alright kinda answers.
    If they advise you about somethig say will see , will think of this, may be next time.

If they say your are not talking much , say I am thinking something about office , not in mood.
    If you are husband shouts at you in front of them, say firmly but slowly "this is very small thing, I dont think any one would shout for this, if you tell normally also i will do.. If I am not doing you can do it by yourself, I do not think ship will sink if you do. What if I do shout at you for this silly think. Dont think I cannot do but I am just controlling" .

You have to say this in front of in laws, keep repeating few more times, then he will get a clue. If does not get a clue and behave the same, just ignore as if you did not listen. Do not take that to heart , be happy and don't keep long face!!

Don't get tensed yaar!! cheer up !!

blessings1010 and guesshoo like this.