1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My tiny part in spreading awareness about eye donation!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Varloo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

I came out of the hospital after getting blood samples taken from me for testing.

It was 7.30 in the morning and even then the road was busy with people going to work, children going school and vendors starting their work.

As I had had nothing from 5 in the morning, I thought I would have something to drink before going home. I saw that a tender coconut vendor was getting ready to start his day.
    I went to him and asked him to give me one which had good amount of water in it.
    As he started to cut it, the sickle missed a little and he hurt his hand. It was not a very serious injury but as he was an old man and felt a little bad at his injury.

I asked him to be careful and then he told me that he could not see properly due to cataract formation and so only he was not able to do his work properly.

I then told him about the various eye hospitals in Chennai who operate the poor free of cost. I also gave him the phone number and address. I finished my drink, paid him and went home.

I completely forgot about this incident. After nearly 2 months, I happened to pass by that shop. He called out to me, I saw that he was wearing a pair of dark glasses. He thanked me first and told me that one of his eyes had been operated upon and he could see well thro that now. He was very thankful to me for directing him to such a service.

As we were talking, his son and his friends gathered around us and that man told everyone that I had only helped him regain sight. I told him then that he should also pledge to donate his eyes after death. That got all of them interested and I explained to them the importance of eye donation. They all assured me that they would pledge their eyes and also to spread this message to their friends and relatives.

I went away from those wonderful people happy that I could do my tiny bit in spreading awareness for eye donation.

sindmani likes this.

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

That is indeed a wonderful gesture. Kudos to you for the same. Yes your timely suggestion has helped a person. Eye donation too is a very important gesture by people. You can help someone see the world. I completely agree with you on that. Infact any opportunity that one can get for saving a life , or a part of life shouldn't be missed.
    My husband had organised a blood donation camp in Dubai. Whatever he has accomplshed in life ,he still considers that blood drive as his greatest accomplishment because eventually it saved many lives.!!

Regards,
    Devika

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Varloo,

A :bowdown:bowdown:clap:clap for a great job.

These small things,have a great dominoes effect. lot of people will benfit from this.

We need to do our vee bit. and the satisfaction and the happiness from all this beyond expression.

4. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

dear varloo..........

that was really a divine thought of yours to give informations on eye hospitals to that man...................such incidents in life gives us immense pleasure...............which we never forget throughout our life time.....................

love
    padma

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Varloo,
    That was so kind and thoughtful of you do so...:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

7. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

Keep up the good work.

Regards
    Roopa.

8. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Varloo,
    You made a great change in that vendor's life. I am sure he will be grateful to you all through his life for the compassion you showed on that old man. My kudos to you!

regards,

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Varloo,
    Bow:clap for your intentions to help people. I was really amazed to see that you have information at your fingertips..

sriniketan

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Varloo,

You did a very noble and a wonderful act.I too wish to donate every part of my body after i am no more.Why burn the body, when the parts can give a new lease of life to so many.God knows with the amount of meats and liquor that are inside, the parts will be useful, but if they are, i would love it.Give back to humanity what God has given u.

And as soon as i reach Jaipur, am going to search for the organization and pledge my parts.

Thanks for reminding me.God will always bless u, dear friend.Regards.kamal