My Spice Rack

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Ashna, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Ashna

Ashna Bronze IL'ite

My Spice & Ingredients Rack
    In this thread I am putting together popular spices - the soul of Indian cuisine. Ideally, whole spices are best - they may be used whole as a natural spice sachet and removed when having the meal. They can be ground in powder form as you need. Most spices quickly lose their flavor exceptions are chili powder, asafetida, turmeric, ginger powder and mango powder. Spices are best stored in airtight containers and kept in a cool dark place, preferably a wood cabinet.
    Adrak ( Ginger ) - A very popular ingredient used in Indian cooking. It has a tan skin and a flesh that ranges in color from pale greenish yellow to ivory. The flavor is peppery and slightly sweet, while the aroma is pungent and spicy. If you are caught with cold having a fresh piece of ginger in a hot cup of Indian tea usually does the trick. Fresh unpeeled ginger root, tightly wrapped, can be refrigerated for up to 3 weeks and frozen for up to 6 months.

Aamchur Powder ( Raw Mango powder ) - This is raw, dried, ground mango. This has a tangy and sour taste. in a pinch, lemon can be substituted.

Aata ( Wheat Flour ) - The heart of north Indian Meal is Roti, Puri Paranthas. Whole wheat flour is commonly used to make chapatis, paranthas and other Indian breads.

Ajwain ( Carom Seeds ) -Very tiny brown seeds with strong peppery-thyme flavor. This poppy seed like plant comes from the lovage plant. It is very popular in North Indian cooking and used in preparing many vegetables and pulses. In Indian cuisine, ajwain is almost never used raw, but either dry-roasted or fried in ghee. This develops a much more subtle and complex aroma, somewhat similar to caraway but "brighter".It can reduce the gassy effect of beans when the two are cooked together. One suggestion is to use it along with cumin, whenever cumin is used.

Anar ( Pomegranate ) Anardana ( Pomegranate seeds ) -A sweet and sour delicious fruit. Cut the fruit into half. Peel the dry skin. The interior of the pomegranate fruit is composed of many white seeds covered with a red or pink pulp-like tissue which has a fresh sweet and sour pleasant taste. You can eat the seeds and pulp as a fruit. Use the seeds in a fruit salad. Dried Seeds are used as whole or grounded in many north Indian delicacies like Chana of Chole Bhature.

Arrowroot - A thickening agent for sauces, fruit pie fillings and glazes, and puddings. Should be stored in cool, dark, dry places. Mix Arrowroot with cool liquids before adding hot liquids, then cook until mixture thickens. Two teaspoons of Arrowroot can be substituted for 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. One teaspoon of Arrowroot can be substituted for 1 tablespoon of flour. Arrowroot makes clear, shimmering fruit gels and prevents ice crystals from forming in homemade ice cream.

Continued...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Ashna,

Its so thoughtful of you to compile this and post it here. Good to know the benefits of those spice that we use.
    By the way, where is the remaining part ?Or am I missing something. Let me find out.