1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son to Day care

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vijiarasan, Apr 7, 2010.

1. vijiarasan

vijiarasan Junior IL'ite

My son is 6 months old and I have to send him to a day care. I feel so guilty sometimes that at this very young age I have to send him out. It is really tough for me taking this decision. But I cant afford to leave my job.

Would really love to listen to moms experiences sending their kids to day care at this young age.

2. jayanaresh

jayanaresh Bronze IL'ite

Dear viji

I left my baby boy at babysitter at 31st day onwards.
    No other option for me
    I need the job. Like you i felt guilty and self angry and depressed.....
    But the babysitter is nice and my kid likes her a lot and that puts my mind in rest...
    He learnt to share things ( unlike my elder son , who never share things with his brother also). He learnt malayalam ( babysitter is Malayali) + english + tamil ( Iam Tamil) + hindi.

His manners are very disciplined. If he sees a bit of paper or waste, he picks it up and throw in dustbin from the age of 1.

He sits nicely in dinning table and uses spoons and forks...
    Lots of good habits i can see.. compare to my elder son ( I resigned my job for my elder son and took care of him till he started school). We pamper the kids and spoil them. But in daycare, they were not pampered and they pick up a lot of good habits.
    SO don;t feel guilty and depressed.

They are in good hands......( If the baby sitter is good and attentive)....
    Regards
    Mrs.N

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Viji, mommy-guilt is a tough one. I would think all moms feel some kind of guilt at some time or the other, even moms who stay at home cannot be with kids 24/7, right? Finding a good care arrangement that you can trust and feel comfortable with goes a long way in helping with this. At the end of the day spend some time with the baby's provider, talk to them, appreciate them. Beng in good terms with the baby's care provider and working in concert with her really helps me.Also one you are home put away your work and spend some time with baby. You can make everyday tasks like bathing, diapering and even chores like cooking cleaning and laundry fun by involving your little one.

My son (younger one) has been going to daycare since he was 4 months old.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  4. hieeeanu

hieeeanu New IL'ite

Hii Viji,
    I am a working mom of a son who is 1.5 year old now. I am a CPA, I staretd sending my son to daycare sicne he was 4 months old.
    I heard a lot form people about sending him at that young age,b ut I was clear about my plan and what I wanted.
    I used the pump to pump breatmilk and did so till he was a year old.
    It is hard but I see so many advantages of being in daycare.
    He eats on his own, he talks many many words now, he is so clean about thigns, putting his toys away, washing his hands etc.
    He also now kows his friends name and cannot wait to see them.
    I know it is hard but in the long run it is more useful. My hsuband helps me out a lot at home. We both spend a lot of time with him during weekends and by now it is a well established routine.
    Even when grandparents come now I still send him to day care 2-3 days a wek just so he doesnt lose touch.
    He is a very happy and contended baby!
    Anu

5. hieeeanu

hieeeanu New IL'ite

Hii Viji,
    I forgot to add, make sure you are very comfortbale about the daycare. I jad a nice feeling from the beginning. My son has many food allergies and they are very accomodating about it all.
    Thanks

6. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Viji,
    I left mine at 11th mnth, however I saw other babies as young as 3-4 mnth.
    Pls dont feel guilty about it as this will help you in future when you shall be thankful for your decision and not blame anyone else in the marriage that if X, Y had opted to babysit, then your career wouldn't have suffered.

Same as Jaya mentioned there are quite a few plus points of mannerism, sharing, low pampering, exposing to reality, friends to play with, schedule & learning.
    It also comes at times with nappy rashes, unplanned illness (which finally builds the immune system), minor scratches.

First day was v v heavy with me, slowly once I was assured that things are going Ok I was OK... all the best ...

7. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi Viji,

I left my first one when he was 3 months old. The first month is going be dreadful. Just keep reminding youself that you are doing this for all of you and not for selfish reasons.
    If you are still nursing him read about pumping and storing BM ( if you are not already doing that). Call the daycare during the day to check on him and don't hesitate to change the daycare if you are not fully comfortable with them.
    As Jaya and Shilpama mentioned there are going to be ups and downs but I guess that's going to be the case even when you are SAHM, though of different kinds.

All the best.