1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Sister's marriage - Advice please

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Tugga, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

Dear ASG,

You spoke my heart. This is what I am thinking right now:)

You know my story very well. Me and DH had great careers with attractive salaries, but what was the use... Zero happiness inside. Now, both have resigned and moved back to our home. DH has found a reasonable job, and I am at home as a home-maker. You can not see the level of happiness that I am feeling right now. I really enjoy this life.

Career can come and go... Money too, but the life and happiness is totally upto what is INSIDE the person.. and ofcourse his family.

The Soudi guy looks polite, understanding and so his parents. This is what I am attracted to them.

But my parents, and everyone else think no matter what the sister complains, the bank guy is the better as he is settled. :bonk

My sister is really confusing, as she knows the bad part of ILs interference after seeing my life, at the same time, she is worried about the finanical part too. Because she doesn't want to work, hence she really worries about her would be DH's career. The Soudi guy seems more into business and not into any professional jobs, though he is working as a manager in Soudi - This is what bothering us.

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Well, there's nothing wrong with business. Business can be lucrative too.

I can't speak for your sister, but personally, I would rather have a less settled guy who I gel with and who has a kind family, than a very settled guy who's family is questionable and who's attitude is not like mine.

Money is important. No doubt. Lot of fights happen because of lack of money and financial strain. But from my own experience, I have found the heart ache of emotional problems from husband or his family are WAY worse than any type of financial struggle. I guess it's because, financial problems can be solved. But it's pretty rare for a hostile family to suddenly become welcoming to the dil, or for a cold husband to suddenly become buddy buddy with his wife.

And just imagine, money problems can happen to anybody. What happens if you pick a guy based on his job, and character wise he's not that great, and then he loses his job! Then you're stuck with a jobless guy you never really liked to begin with!

I feel in the long run, a good solid character trumps a job anyday. And I'm sure the Saudi guy would not let his financial situation ever get to the point where he is living in the street. I mean, if he has managed his life up until now, I'm sure he is sensible enough to know how to provide for himself (and a wife too).

I don't know the Saudi or the Bank guy, so I'm not trying to say anything negative about Banker man. I'm just saying look beyond the dollar signs. Compatability is key. If your sister ends up miserable with her husband's attitude or her inlaws taunting, no amount of necklace sets or fancy vacations will make her feel better. So whichever guy you chose, make sure he is the TOTAL package, and not just a paycheck. Here's another question to think of.... if money weren't an issue, which guy would you pick? :)

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Well said ASG,Could not agree more:thumbsup.

Tugga,
    I also think your sister needs to go with compatibilty . I really would not want to say whether A is better or the other way. If there is a chance, then let her meet both of them. In the meanwhile, the families could also meet. Whatver suits her,let her decide.
    Good Luck to your family.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

If your sister is not prepared to live in a different city in her life, then she may not yet understand reality and marriage.

Pls. let her understand these things before she goes for marriage.

There is no guarantee DH will not find a new appealing career prospect 2-4 years later in another city or country!

5. Induvadana

Induvadana New IL'ite

If it is Gamble then go with gut feelings. Mine is choice marriage. What mattered most for me is not the facts that I gathered in conversations but how I felt while conversing. As someone suggested , let your sis talk to both and decide.

Depending on ones attitude isolating herself can be seen as a problem or as an opportunity for her to grow independent. IMO, still more than security or compatibility with spouse, her reluctance to take responsibility for her life is the biggest problem for her marriage.

I wouldn't have married my DH even after falling in love if he wanted us to live so close to his family. I wouldn't have liked to be so close to my family either(BTW, I always stayed with my parents before marriage and love them a lot and I have no major probs with my ILs ). Couple being left independent gives best chance to a marriage. I understand your father built the house specifically for her as per her likes with love. But should that decide so much of her life? Shouldn't the house a couple live in or build be according to the likes of both spouses? Isn't one thing(The house)narrowing all her choices? However wonderful the house and the sentiment of it is. Making so many important decisions based on that? I am sure You know, You didn't let even your religion decide who you will marry(many marry within religion).

6. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

@ Spiderman,

Please read this thread. http://www.indusladies.com/forums/married-life/91544-how-feel-like-you-belong.html How the OP is suffering, and one poster mentioned that she lives like she did in her hostel time. How sad it could be.

Some girls are being treated like a second citizens at their homes, hence they can somehow adjust and cope with the new home without any complaints.

Some girls are really independant by nature, hence they can manage whatever the uncomfortabilities.

A few girls like my sister, being pampered by their parents like angels are become dependant now. They can not simply adjust with new people and new places so easily. It takes time.. So we should give them some time to deal with it.

If that is a love marriage, nothing to worry as the girl is comfortable with her spose. If there is any uncomfortability at the new place, she can at least comfortably discuss them with her husband.
    But if that is an arranged marriage, the spouses are not comfortable with each other at the first place, then how can a girl (specially girls are dependant and weak compared to guys) bring up her uncomfortability with her new DH.

We parents/siblings can help somehow to make their life easy by providing such basic comfortables at least they find themself comfortable with their spouses, then it is all upto them.

It is true... But after 2-4 years of marriage life, any couple will reach their comfort zones. And they will obviously start loving each other. No wife will stay happy in her banglow without her DH. She will obviously miss him, feel lonely and hence follow him leaving all her house and sentiments - That is something called love.

But before even meet your partner, before falling in love with him, how someone can leave her luxary home and loving relatives to a new place to live with your partner. I mean, if there is no option, or if you really want a different life, then its ok, but if you have an option, why not to take it up.

@ Induvadana

It is all ok if that is a love marriage... In love marriages we do not think about religion, caste, family issues, education, etc...etc... but the focus is LOVE and LOVE ONLY.
    In arranged marriages, there is no love before we fix the marriage.. Hence we see religion, background, education and all sort of matches to give a comfortable life to our loved ones (sister).
    Also, we think our sister will be happy and comfortable if she could stay in the house which is built by our dad for her. She too thinks in the same line... Because she simply see no reason to lose her comfort levels for someone whom she hasn't met yet. Rather she thinks why can't we find someone who can be benefitted from her house and shares a life with her.. It is called WIN-WIN negoitiation in Management.

There are so many boys who love to settle in the metro due to professional reasons, but they do not afford to buy a house here.
    There are some boys, whose families also live in the same town, yet they still need a nuclear family also nearby their parents (Like my DH). They too can be benefitted from this already buit home as they do not need to spend again for a home, at the same time they can continue to live in the same city where their parents too live.

After sometimes, the couples can decide what best suit for them and move on accordingly.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  7. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

If your sister prefers the bank manager over the saudi guy, then go for the bank manager. Otherwise, in the future, even a small misunderstanding can result in her leashing back at you with, "this is all your fault because you picked a bad guy for me" attitude.

Let her decide who she wants to marry. It's her life. Lay everything out on the table and allow her to chose. Her refusal to chose is just her way of creating a scape goat incase something should not go as she planned.

8. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

Dear Manaswini

Not only in marriage matters, but in each and everything of her life, we just give her the options with information. The decision is hers, and hers only.

She is not capable of analysing things and checking the pros and cons. So, she easily pass the ball on to us saying you people find the best guy for me.

Me, my mom and brother are analysing each and every points of both the guys and their families.. Potential future issues, goods and bads... and will let her know in detail.

Also she is going to discuss with these guys in personal. That point will be also analysed.

The final decision should be hers, not ours.

No interference, no dominance, and we will not take her dependace for granted. We just give her all the options with full information, as she is not keen on it.. Not ready to give too much work to her brain:( so why we help her.

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Good, and make sure she feels that way too (ie. she is the one taking the final choice). Thats the only way the marriage can have a chance to succeed.

10. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

No offense intended but is this woman really ready for such a serious business as marriage? Who is going to do all the information processing and decision making for her after she gets married? How long can you avoid "giving too much work to her brain"???? She needs to grow up first and get ready to take charge of her life.

Even if you get her married to a man who is a gem (as in he defers to her all the time), no self-respecting man will tolerate his in-laws being involved in each and every decision that needs to be made in their marriage. He may even see your FOO's involvement in her marriage as domination and disrespectful of him simply because he is living in your sister's house. Eventually, this will only lead to disaster and he may decide to vacate the house and move far away in order to force his wife to become independent!!! Or he may retaliate by involving his parents and siblings in every single decision and you cannot even protest because your sister is doing the same thing!

IMO, this issue of not wanting to leave her comfort zone, wanting to live close to her FOO, wanting to avoid in-laws etc cannot simply be justified as 'dependence' and 'that is how she is'. All these signify a serious inability and an unwillingness to be mature and independent. Marriage is for adults, not for overgrown children. What if she ends up with someone who is equally dependent on HIS FOO for every single thing? This will not be evident until after they are married, so their marriage will be between the two FOOs rather than the two individuals! I think she is dependent simply because she is ALLOWED to be dependent by you. You are actively enabling her dependency and unwittingly encouraging her lack of interest in growing up and taking responsibility for herself. As long as you are all willing and able to do her work for her, there is no incentive for her to grow up. Unfortunately, after marriage, her husband may not relish a childish wife who does not want to act responsibly or take decisions independently. Just like you have a problem with your husband's emotional dependency on his father, your sister's future husband may have a problem with your sister's dependency on your FOO. Then, there will be clashes between husband and wife - esp. if you people step in on her behalf - and everything will go downhill from there.

Tugga, your sister is not ready for marriage. Other posters have already told you this. You cannot protect her for life, make her decisions for life or shelter her for life. As you said in another thread, she should limit her expectations from her marriage and life to only herself and her husband. An extended family member such as a mother, sister and brother, cannot be there all the time for her, help her in all of her decision making, do all her brain-work for her and act as per her needs and wants all the time. She should understand this first before she gets married. IMO, and honestly, no offense intended, your sister is just not ready for marriage.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010