1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My SIL--Please Help Me-UPDATES

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by IamLucky, Apr 7, 2015.

1. liberatedpearl

liberatedpearl Senior IL'ite

MIL and SIL stories... all are same with variety of spices.

you have already received right feedback :)

This Saree episode touched current burning string in me.... my mil is going to retire next month from her job. I promised her some time back that I'll buy her a good saree to wear on her retirement function (of her choice). We planned during weekend to go for it. I had a booking for mrng show movie for my DD. Before leaving, I told my mil that i'll be back before noon and then we'll go to shop a good saree of her choice from branded shop. Pls. note, I already took her to 2-3 very good and expensive showrooms to buy saree before this but she could not find anything worth! So, when I came back home around 11.30 am, home was locked and I got to know from my DH that they have gone to market for some shopping. I was like whaatsmiley
    Anyhow, I digested it and got involved in my day's pending tasks. Later in the day towards evening, I got a call from my MIL saying that she has selected a saree and msgd me the pics to get sort of approval (sheer formality). I saw the pics and told her its fine as far as she is liking it. To this she said, there are more shops and asked me to join her using public transport to commute. I was literally :bang The market place was good 20-25 kms away.
    Luckily my DH was listening to this and asked me why I cant say NO. I said its difficult for me to say NO to her for anything but then, I'll not go giving some excuse. He was also lill irritated to listen unreasonable demand.

Now my question is, Shall i give he a cheque for the amount of saree (15k) or just forget about it???

2. tarasharma

tarasharma Gold IL'ite

@liberatedpearl

I am assuming your husband paid for it so forget about it.

sindmani likes this.
  3. liberatedpearl

NO... its my hard earned money.
    I am working and I am going to pay for it, not my DH.

also the payment has been done for now by my mil, i m saying this because I promised her that this Saree would be a gift from me, so Ideally, I should pay her the Cheque.

4. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

saree for 15k??? better avoid cos she avoided u purposefully right.

5. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Just ignore..Dont think about paying.. IF she expects you to pay back and says something in a subtle way, just give a surprised expression asking if your DH didnt pay..And then give her the money..If not,leave it for now and gift her some other time..Because she has chosen to go without you, not you.

Ok reading your post and something to think positively is, maybe your MIL didnt want you to buy/spend for her. She would have felt rude to tell you not to buy. This is considering if your relationship with your MIL is good in other aspects. If this true, take this in a positive manner and just forget about the incident.

While there are inlaws who want to grab money from their DILS, there are also few people who think they can afford to get their own needs..
    JMO..

sindmani likes this.
  6. liberatedpearl

hi dear
    thanks for showing the positive side of this but i know her for last 10 good years now.
    I know very well she is expecting me to pay for it. She indirectly told me that her office ppl also will be gifting "something" and since now she has already bought a saree of her choice, so she will tell office staff to pay for it or if it will not work that way, then she will see what has to be done.

Her tone was indirect telling me that I am suppose to pay it.

I am some what stupid as well. I promised her that I'll buy her a decent silk saree and diamond earring at her farewell as her gift from us (as in me and DH).

Now I am in a fix thinking what will happen if she will go and buy diamond earring as well of her choice - she may end up buying it worth a lakh+ as well. I know her so very well.

She would be the last person to worry about my hard earned money. I keep on paying for her things often during shopping which she makes sure no one gets to know about... that I have spent anything on her or have bought her anything. She always keeps on flashing my gifted and bought items saying that this is what she chose and bought, her choice is great and flaunt it that way, hardly ever mentions that I have gifted her anything.