1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Sil Had A Talk About Periods With My Daughter

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by gamma50g, Jan 9, 2024.

1. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

Trust me @peartree I am....truly am...no point in telling anything to my sil because ours is not a close relationship and the damage done is done. But I am giving several pieces of my mind to my husband right now... :rage:

2. Divyasaravanan

Divyasaravanan Silver IL'ite

Sure your SIL over stepped her boundaries, she should ve first discussed with you before talking to your daughter. But am I the only one wondering 10 is too late to discuss about periods in this time and age? Only telling coz my own daughter, niece all got theirs when they were just 10 and 11. You never know, so its better to have a talk about this as soon as they are 8 or 9.

drdiva and anika987 like this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

In my opinion, your SIL needs to know that she crossed a real boundary!
    I am extremely outraged on your behalf and you cannot let her get away with this!

But, do calm down and write down what you will tell her and be clear and objective about it...
    Dont involve your husband in this conversation, dont ask permission to confront etc... but once you confront HER, do report what happened in the discussion to your Husband so that he can deal with fallouts if any!

She needs to know so that she doesnt repeat this with some other topic or with some other kid.

Focus the discussion on how wrong she was, and NOT how upset you were or how you wanted to be the one to share the info..
    She should have definitely asked you permission, she definitely NEEDS to know she committed a major faux pas!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    gamma50g likes this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Just to add (I know you already know) - be gentle with your daughter - dont let the upset caused by your SIL colour your discussions with your daughter

gamma50g likes this.
  5. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

Thanks @hrastro for the balanced advice. I will do that.

I have now moved away from knee jerk emotional reactions (that's why I did not immediately react when she mentioned this casually) to cooling down, thinking and responding. I only wish I knew how to talk coolly and objectively. Like you suggested I am going to write down, be as objective as possible and let her know that what she did is not correct and she took away a special event between a mother and her daughter.

And since half knowledge is dangerous I am taking my daughter to a preteen class about puberty conducted by a reputed local hospital so that she can get complete and correct information from a professional and also get her doubts cleared.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024