1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Rendezvous with a Palanquin!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SARASVADIVU, May 20, 2011.

1. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

I always have this habit of imagining the weirdest of things..to simply put it, make a mountain out of a mole-hill!!

The people with whom I’m close to know this ‘exemplary quality’ of mine;-once it so happened that I had to gear up for a ‘macro-teaching’ session at the beginning of the Academic year.

There was this one more teacher chosen..and Oh my !she seemed to be oozing with truckloads of confidence; whereas me, on the other hand, needless to say..started having those luminous clouds above my head, ready to bombard me with questions;

All this, despite the fact that it was my favourite ‘area’ -Teaching of a classic Indian Poem-the duration allotted was about 15mins; the best part is that ‘my students’ would be none other than our Sr.Principal, Mr. Johnson and the teaching fraternity!

It was particularly the last one…that gave me jitters!Our Sr.Principal was a strict disciplinarian and also a bit conservative.

He always would criticize power-point presentations and go down to his good old days, “If I could still remember each and every line of “The Daffodils” (-only thing, whenever we would ask him to recite the lines…….he ‘would still be going down the memory-lane..never to have once turned up with anything beyond its title-‘The Daffodils’) -it’s because of the ‘chalk & talk method; Did we ever have your silly ppts those old days???”

Otherwise he was a good gentleman who would surprise us {the staff} with his sudden tea-parties! He was also quite friendly with the students..especially the Primary dept. kids would love to ‘play’ with his ‘Eternal Santa Claus’ belly!

Anyways when I was sort of having my fear of going before a learned gathering and also the Principal’s conservative attitude..our Vice-Principal mam, a picture of serenity, chipped in and almost threatened me that if I don’t go ahead she would call the whole programme off!

It was an absolute dilemma ..on one hand my fears as to the Principal’s reactions..on the other..the Vice-Principal who believed in me so much!

Finally I decided to give it a try:
    The poem I chose was “Palanquin Bearers” one of ‘The Nightingale’, Sarojini Naidu’s pearls!!

[​IMG]

I had kept a lovely surprise for all the entrants at the entrance to the venue:-
    A big model of a Palanquin thanks to the toil of my XI boys..I also managed to dress up one of the XI girls in a startling pink & green ghagra choli, complete with a silk Bhandni dupatta to cover her head… for that typical ‘bridal look’!!!!Thus the atmosphere was already sort of set.

Just in case for your information, this poem is all about the ancient custom of carrying royal brides in India in decorated palanquins to their husbands' home. Normally, the palanquin bearers take it as a great privilege to bear the royal princess to her destination safely.

The stern face of my Principal had brightened on seeing the model of the palanquin et el…but when he started seeing the arrangements for the ppt..his face bore a ‘wooden expression’.

I decided one thing –not to hereon look at my Principal’s face!!!

Now on to the power-point:
    The first few slides I had dedicated it to some unique information and images of the poetess.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the verses of the poem itself for the audience..

Finally I brought in the ‘live-wire ‘of the poem….the sizzling similes and the mesmerizing metaphors!!
    “She sways like a flower in the wind of our song;
    She skims like a bird on the foam of a stream,
    She floats like a laugh from the lips of a dream.
    We bear her along like a pearl on a string.”

-Taking one slide each for each of the similes I spiced it up with an apt image and paraphrasing..

The essence of the first stanza was driven to the audience..

*As the Palanquin Bearers walk , they feel that the princess is a delicate beauty as a flower ,who sways to the rhythm of their song .

*She glides smoothly as the froth that glides on the stream’s surface...

*Her laughter resonates with the thoughts centred on her new life that she is to lead!!

This way I finished the first stanza.

I then proceeded to the second..
    ..my glances were shuttling towards my colleagues and the Vice-Principal..mainly I wanted some morale-booster that’s why looked at my V.P.

By then I had finished the second too:

[​IMG]
    She’ was there seated in the form of the V.P…. giving a comforting smile....until I had heard thundering claps from everybody including my Principal.

“Good show there, you had excelled and I’m sure this poem would be better remembered by me than ‘The Daffodils’!!!

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Hello Teacher,

I have never rushed to the first show first day of any film - MGR films those days, Superstar's films later - But now you made me run to reserve a place for myself. The place of pride from which I can appreciate the beloved child of Saraswathi Ma Herself.

If Sarojini Naidu's lines were poetic your arrangement to present the poem were only even more so. I remember having that poem in our syllabus. In fact it was in the 'To be memorized' part. I remember having memorized it. But unfortunately I did not have a teacher like Saras who could conjure up a Palanquin, a bride and the paraphernalia to make the poem memorable.

You have made a fitting tribute to the great poem. That only shows that you are the Goddess' preferred child.

Well done, girl. I am very happy and proud to be writing alongside you.
    love,
    sridhar

3. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Saras,

You did an excellent job on presenting this to us. So at last you received the appreciation from your Sr. Principal is it? That should be a wonderful moment for you that time.

When an information is represented symbolically, it reaches the audiance better. I liked the way you made one of your students to dress like the bride. Very creative.

Like Sridhar uncle said, we never had a teacher like Saras when we did schooling :).

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

You are an excellent teacher dear saras !!!!!!! :thumbsup

Your students are really very fortunate and they will remember this presentation class of yours for their lifetime...!!!!!!!!!:cheers

5. SARASVADIVU

Dear Sir,
    You always leave me overwhelmed and choked with your fbs..this time it's gone and ended up in tears reading your profoundly touching comments:
    >The place of pride from which I can appreciate the beloved child of Saraswathi Ma Herself.
    >You have made a fitting tribute to the great poem. That only shows that you are the Goddess' preferred child.

>Well done, girl. I am very happy and proud to be writing alongside you.
    --This one is a bit too much ..to be rubbing shoulders with you,sir, as a co-blogger is in actuality my honour!!!!

Thanks for making my day dear sir...
    love,
    Saras.

love,

6. SARASVADIVU

Dear malar,
    You always give me a generous heap of praise and this time too you have made me almost blush with joy.

Very true da..especially for the kids of today as you said we have to give them something special..for them to remember.

Thanks thanks so much da for dropping by with rejuvenating comments as well!!

:cheers
    Saras.

7. SARASVADIVU

Dear mss,
    Thanks for being the typical caring friend who always steps in to encourage her friend.

Your comments make me tick..hey! where's your pics. yaar? missin them!!!

Saras.

8. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Very nice way of explaining things Saras. I remember my mom drawing in charts, taking lot of effort, for analogy to teach multiplication to I std pupils while she was 50+ then. Thanks for sharing. -rgs

9. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear Saras, Loved reading your blog!!!
    No doubt you would have impressed everyone in the audience :)
    Keep sharing dear!!!

10. SARASVADIVU

Hello rgs,
    Hey! so your mom was a teacher..that's great news..loved the way you shared the input about her:bowdown:bowdown

Thanks for dropping rgs!!

:cheers

Saras.