1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Privacy Battles

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PoojaShah, May 27, 2016.

1. PoojaShah

PoojaShah Gold IL'ite

I'm a great champion of privacy as you'll guess by the title. Not only that I'm a fastidious person who is very keen on cleanliness. But in our great country, words like privacy,personal space or personal hygiene are of no use. It would take a whole new composition to write about our people's hygiene standards! So let's talk about privacy.

Everyone has a right to privacy. But alas! In India it's an alien concept. If I talk about myself, my bathroom tops the list of my private places. But here in our country it's not considered as a private place. Once a lady came from our building whom I only know by face came just to see my bathroom...Now my bathroom is not jewelled or anything. I was bemused. It took me a while to recover from the shock! I politely refused as it would be violation of my private place. But she didn't think of it as a private place. For that matter, we don't consider anything as private. Nothing is beyond our reach. Be it bathroom, bedroom or somebody's closet. Yes, I have seen people rushing into one's bedroom opening the closet to see if they have bought any new clothes! These violators of privacy think what you have got to hide. Well, I have many things to hide, from fake eyelashes to stashed away chocolate-chip cookies.

There's no concept of personal space either.People just don't understand.. I am sure everyone must have had an experience in a lift when 10 people try to fit in a space made for 6 people. The same thing happens in a bus or train. With your every breath, you get to smell people around you.

As writing about this giving me creeps I am going to stop for now. Will write again when someone comes to see my bathroom again!

2. PoojaShah

PoojaShah Gold IL'ite

3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Very true no privacy indeed and you need to prove with a prima facie evidence/reason to prove u need privacy.

That lady belongs to the sanitary department, the one that barged into the wash room not on nature's call :)

PoojaShah likes this.
  4. PoojaShah

PoojaShah Gold IL'ite

Lol.. :)

GoogleGlass likes this.
  5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

In India, space comes at a premium price and only crorepatis can enjoy all the space they want to. I remember those times when a single toilet was shared by six tenants living in the same complex. With bathrooms getting attached to bedrooms, the guests have no other way, other than intruding our privacy. Enjoyed your snippet.

Agatha83

Anusuya and PoojaShah like this.
  6. PoojaShah

PoojaShah Gold IL'ite

Hmm.. What you said is true..But I still think we people don't care much about privacy.
    Thank you for liking the snippet. :)

7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Fun reading yours though it might not have been fun for you. Snooping around is ingrained isnt it? Many times our neighbors know a lot more happening in our house than our own selves. :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  8. PoojaShah

PoojaShah Gold IL'ite

Hahah...
    Thank you. :)

9. Pickle

Pickle Silver IL'ite

Your post 'bemuses' me as well. True, people don't understand. The only private space in my (joint) family is the bathroom of course. I'm thankful at least such space is there and grateful that its not being invaded, Yet. Being in a crowded bus or train or share autos, why expect privacy in public when even the family car for four carries a boatload and four people in a bike or scooter meant for two! We are over populated. No escape.

Anusuya likes this.
  10. PoojaShah

PoojaShah Gold IL'ite

Hii
    What I meant was that one's personal space should be maintained.

Lathasv likes this.