1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Past Vs The Present...

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Jun 23, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My kid started playing with some community kids.She was getting very bored and so I thought it was okay.Initial few days she was very very happy and a day back she came home wailing! I asked her what happened and she said there was a fight with other kids and even though she apologized,they did not want to play with her..

I told her calmly “It is good you apologized for your mistake but if they don’t want to play it’s okay! You can play by yourself and when things cool down,you can all play together “.

My child screamed “You have no idea how it hurts!..I feel terrible!I have no one to play with! I am going to run out and apologize again!”

NOW..my body tensed up and all of now past insecurities as a child rose up.I don’t know how it hurts?One mistake I did when young was that I used to apologize and a lot just like my daughter used to do,and I ended up doing that even for no mistake of mine until few years ago.It was one of the most humiliating thing I could do to myself.

I controlled myself and told her” You already said sorry.Let it go dear”..

My DD cried” NO! I can’t! I feel very hurt and they don’t want to play with me and I want to say sorry again until they will!”..

I WAS GETTING SLIGHTLY FURIOUS..
    I still controlled myself and said” it’s okay dear.You need to be calm and we can talk about this later.let me play with you for sometime”..

She cried a lot and started running out of the house to meet them and that’s when I lost it.I screamed “NOW! Get inside the house!.you already said sorry and that’s it.If they don’t want to play,so be it.You are not going to beg anyone for anything no matter what!”..

Hubby came downstairs hearing my voice and he started lecturing me on how I should not let my insecurities stand in the way of parenting and the child should not be given relationship advice like an adult.

For me..I will sacrifice anything in the world to raise my child a strong person and not be a victim of bullying like me.I don’t want to see another me.

If those kids don’t care and walk away,why should my child beg? I understand a child won’t comprehend certain things but I want to nip it in the bud.

Today morning my child started again saying she wants to meet those friends and I told my husband to deal with that..How should I have dealt with this?

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Anika, you should let her fight her own fights instead of telling her what to do. Did the other kids bully her? If it was something she did that offended other kids and she want to make it right, I think you should let her.
    You already told your side to her and even if she is a small kid, she needs to learn some things on her own. But assure her, you are there for her if she wants to talk and need support or even just to sit with her. Let her choose to do what she wants to do with her friends, but keep an eye out when she needs help, so she will know to fall back on you if needed, tell her, "holler if you need me, I will come and help" or "come back to me if you friends are bothering you". Let her make the judgments on her friendships, sometimes they get it right some times they don't, that's how they will learn. I think that will make her stronger. When you think her judgement was not a good one, ask her what she thinks about it. If you yell, some kids tend to clam up and won't communicate or connect, that how DD is. You know your kid better. But this is my approach with DD. one other thing to look out is that she is playing with her age group, they understand each other better, otherwise you have more work of explaining why other kids are like the way they behave. be there for her and support her instead for telling her what to do when playing, whether we like it or not, kids love freedom.

anika987 likes this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

The kids are mostly her age group.
    They had a fight and words were exchanged.My kid then apologized to them but they were not in a mood to play with her.

My problem is not her saying sorry,infact I encourage that but even after saying sorry and crying to them,the kids walked away.

So she wanted to go check and say sorry again,convinced me and that triggered me.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  4. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

How old is your kid? If she understand enough, ask her if she thinks her friends respected her apology?may if you talk with her a little more elaborate and calm, she will understand what you are trying to say. Tell her you think her friends do not respect her. She wants to try let her try. But tell her not to do it too many times set a limit, say this once and stop it. Sometimes kids have to do it for the their peace, just like us.

anika987 likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hmm..yes Angela but this apology thing again and again is actually quite a habit.

I used to do this as a kid and then kids calmed down.Later what happened was they knew,no matter what happened to keep my peace,I will go and say sorry to them and I was taken for granted.That actually lead me to be a doormat..

As I said..apologizing is a good habit when you make a mistake but not again and again until the other side calms down.

I don’t want my DD to cultivate that habit..

6. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@anika987 Sit down and explain to her, why you are stopping her. It's our responsibility to teach them self respect and you are on the right path. In this lockdown, she must be bored, try to get another friend to come on zoom to talk to her.
    Let this situation go for right now, engage her in different things that she doesn't want to go out to be with friends.
    But keep saying that saying sorry once is all that's needed. No need to repeat it over and over again. Nip it in the bud. Let her not continue this behavior. Your husband is partly right, our children are part of us, they carry a similar mindset. We can recognize these characteristics better and correct them.

My kid is a kiss ass to his best friend. If his bestie says no, my kid loses it. When there is no "NO" from bestie they are like best friends- look out for each other, support each other, talk for hours and just stand next to each other being lost in thoughts.

My husband had to constantly talk to my kid every day that my kid will not cry if his bestie says no.
    We had to literally say it every day before he went to school. We taught him pretty early to walk away if his bestie says "no". For some reason, my kid is hung up on JUST his bestie. With everyone else, he doesn't expect too much. My kid can walk away, can understand no or doesn't expect too much.

At least in my kid's case, my kid can go on and on repeating the same thing until he gets it. It can get really annoying very soon.
    My kid also had the habit of saying sorry and expecting sorry as well. If the sorry didn't come. He would literally plead for sorry from his bestie.

Thankfully his bestie is also my family friend and we kind of parent both the kids on a situation.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    SCA, Vaikuntha and anika987 like this.
  7. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

I think Hubby is right, over-parenting on these things is not required. Let the child figure out some things by herself. Which she will. Parenting is ok, but sometimes can cross into over-parenting.

anika987 likes this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

The kids were actually playing in front of my home.Infact I saw my DD cry and apologize but those other kids walked away.I didn’t want her to repeat it again and again

9. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Yes, she shouldn't. What actually went down? was sorry even necessary?

I have also noticed kids these days are very smart, they get away by even not saying sorry.

Sometimes the word sorry can just be looked down by her friends as she is meek.

Just engage her today don't let her fall back into the pattern of going and saying sorry.
    Give her a cool off period. Talk to her about what to do if a similar situation arises. Ask her to go and play maybe tomorrow but ask her NOT TO SAY SORRY.
    SORRY will not get her in, they will start to bully her. if she presents herself as meek.

anika987 likes this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hmm true