1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My nostalgic moments of the day!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Soldier, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear mallika,
    though i have never been to any of these utsavams we used to have our own versions of ram navami in mumbai.and yes we concluded at midnight with icecreams or kulfi because it used to be in summer,no?

hahah looks like neengal nanna comedy pennavel..sudha sounds so much like my dd .i enjoy the funny comments of their age.:)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear malliga

Enjoyed the snippet . Could visualise all the rituals even though I had never been to painkuni utsav.
    Icecrem at midnight fond of that idea but doctor had banned icecrems for me.I don't mind and have them side with salt water gargelling.
    Your Writing brought me back to my home town and 28 days annual festival at Mahadeva Temple.Those colours of the festivals are the main thing we are missing now.Those shops with all those bangles,malas,bindis oh God I must be back to Sharjah now.
    Thanks for the snippet

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Soldier,
    Along with you I also travelled to olden days when I was residing in Mylapore, very near to the temple. Then I was a regular visitor to the events of this unique festival.According to me
    Chennai is the ideal gateway to South India, embracing several temples, shrines, forts and palaces. This 350 year old city provides a fascinating insight into the tradition and culture of south India. Chennai is renowned for observing several local, state and national festivals. Festivals and events in Chennai celebrate the rich cultural heritage of South India. Arubathimoovar Festival in Chennai glorifies the 63 saints of Shiva who lived in complete devotion and penance.
    The Kapaliswar Temple at Mylapore in Chennai is home to the bronze figures of these 63 saints. The bronze idols of the saints are placed in the Kapaleeshwarar Sannadhi. The Nayanmars exalted Lord Shiva with enchanting hymns.
    - The temple is exemplary of Dravidian style of architecture with an enormous and intricately designed gopuram. The festival attracts millions of devotees from far and wide.
    - During the months of March and April, the bronze idols are carried in a colorful procession along the streets of Mylapore.
    Amazed to read about your MIL and her will power. But such is the force and power of this festival.
    with love
    pad

4. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Dear Mallika,
    Sorry for coming late.Two and half decades of living in chennai,not even once have i got the opportunity to watch the procession.Feel sorry about myself.Now i am determined to rectify the mistake and will definitely see it .Reading your post motivated me to do so.:thumbsup

5. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi K2S

Thank u da for the nice fb.
    Reading the same, i too was reminded of early morning Pongal Neivedhyam in Margazhi maasam.

TC
    Love

6. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Mindian!

Thank u for the nice fb.
    One thing i have to tell u here. I must wipe the thought off my mind that u have a small kid. The reason for this is that just like some other IL friend here, seeing in Viji Aunty's album, I thought u were her daughter and Gopika's Mom!!!!!! Semma comedy la?

How old is ur DD now and what name? very curious. Now I can relate something more. U were the one who had Aviyal in Viji's house?

So u were a Mumbai Indian and now Malaysian Indian. Surprisingly that is why u spk of midnight kulfis. I remember the Kulfis I had in Mathura during my north trip. Also I can never forget the lassi of Amritsar!!!

As usual i have gone off the tangent anyway all these places are temple towns so that way I am still in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Meenu!

Thanks for the fb and sorry u can't have icecreams.
    Am happy I brought to u the memoirs of Shivan Kovil. Which place do u belong to. I have a whole list of temples to be visited in Kerala - which I notice from watching Kiran Devotionals in the morning. The long list includes Chottanikkara, Chakkulathamma, Kottarakara Ganapathy, Trippayar Rama, Vadakkunnathar Temple, Guruvayur (only this temple I have seen), Simhanatha Bhagavathy, there is one famous temple for Lakshmanan and the list goes on.

now that sudha has grown up she has no craze for malas and bindhis. Becos half the time in Jeans.

8. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Pammi!

Thanks for the fb. Enna naduvula aalaye kaanum?

Out of station?

Yeah. There are so many temples in the South. Each one has its own importance. Where in Chennai do u stay? Definitely u also must have participated in Utsavams and felt great.

Though I just made a mention of the temple, u have given such a detailed note that has added value to this thread.

Thank u Pammy.

Indus Remix paadal and ur fb semma semma!!!!

9. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Vijji!

Dont worry. u will soon get a chance to participate in these temple functions shortly.
    Good luck to u dear.

Love.

10. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

Such processions are joy to everybody.... I have never seen this procession but would love to when i get a chance... will try to attend next year's.....

Sandhya