1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My MIL keeps comparing with others.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by mithu202, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

I see replica of my MIL, this year is the first year in my 16th year running that she does not, it used to drive me nuts....i feel for u.

2. Amneet

Amneet Senior IL'ite

When i ws reading your post, suddenly i felt u r talking abt my Mil :-D
    I will tell you what i have learnt after 6 yrs of my married life has passed. Gone through all the criticism and still everytime again tried my level best to please her ( that i still do :-( )
    If u keep on listening to all that negativity u will end up being zero yourself, you will loose confidence in yourself. You may end up getting treated for depression problem. So, my dear try to convince yourself first that no matter what you will do you wont be getting appreciation for that. Nobody is perfect and try to do what u can do comfortably, dont stress yourself to get praise bcz u wont, it is not because you are not good, it is jst because she is not able to see beyond herself. Dont expect much from her but do what is your duty. She is at that age that u cannot change her, she is rigid in her ways n thoughts but you can change yourself. Even in cooking dont try too hard so that she compliments, if she thinks u r nt good at cooking let it be gigglingsmiley , zada acha nhi bnana padega khana, hehehe
    Instead of telling her you are not good you yourself start telling her politely though that you are not good and you can never ever be compared to ur mil as she is perfect :p
    Let her cook food at times , let her take care of the kids ( as she feels she ws perfect in that) ..
    She wont change but yes you can enjoy this if you stop taking it to your heart.
    You know and God knows how you are and what qualities you have ..u dnt need a certificate from mil ...

3. Bestmom

Bestmom Silver IL'ite

Dear op,

I guess all mil are same..I dono how they match each other,
    She is same as urs and she compares the kids with other kids
    which I don't like tat. .and never compliment whatever good thing
    I do..always praise herself and her family.
    Initially my blood was boiling but later started ignoring
    and took the good points in her and luckily am not in joint family
    so at times thro phone or meeting once a while she irritates me..

I pity you gng thro everyday..u know its really stress full
    Try to ignore these small stuffs and concentrate imp stuffs in life.

regards
    bestmom

1 person likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

well..I am married for 10 years an yet to find a solution to the problems u have mentioned above:)

Only two things..

1) inlaws have to change.
    2) u have to stand up for yourself.

Bringing hubby in the middle just won't work and even it did u will be looked as the cruel bahu for each and everyone.Well..if u do not mind that,try that too!

I failed in all the above three:((