1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

my maid was beaten

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sindmani, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Sorry to hear this, Sindmani. I don't think you could have done more besides providing advice and money. There is always that risk that her husband would target you and your family for helping her out . There are lot of NGO's or women's organizations that help with domestic abuse. So providing that information would also be useful. It is a very tricky situation. I hope her kids are well looked after this tragedy.
    please take care .

sindmani likes this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@sindmani

It is not advisable to intervene directly when it comes to offense like Domestic violence, owing to the threat and possible disturbance that can cause you disharmony by the perpetrator.
    But it doesn't mean it is OK to stay silent and ignore the fact that someone known to us is undergoing life threatening abuse.
    We definitely have a role as a society to play here.

We usually encounter poor women on the road as strangers, or at home as our maid/domestic workers, or at someone else's home under similar capacity. Also we meet women cleaners at office and other public places who either directly or indirectly give us hints about the abuse they face at home.
    Their wounds, scars, physical conditions or emotional conditions shows us something.
    If we could probe for further details (at least with women who are not strangers to us), we can get an idea about their problem.
    Like in your case, your maid has told you about the abuse and pain she has been undergoing.

It is always better to have awareness about the social support system of your area. The domestic violence or child abuse help line no. The focal point from the area police station who undertakes such cases, the legal aid service, if there is any free service for poor or vulnerable women. And also the psycho social counseling or supportive counseling desk in your area.

Some NGOs who work in this thematic area usually map out these details and make the society aware of these useful contacts by printing out leaflets and posters. Also there are TV and radio ads going on.

Take note of them and share these info with the needy people.

When such women come across your way, and if you suspect that they need assistance then have a heart to heart talk with them.
    Make them aware of their rights, and the possible support system available for them.
    Tell them that it is not ok to be abused.
    Speak to their family or any support system like parents, siblings.... and encourage them to help the victim.

Do not directly deal with the abuser unless you know him. If not, do not expect him to respect your lectures.

Refer these women to any such network either Government or NGO. You may take a lead by standing beside this woman when she finds it extremely uncomfortable to move on.
    You may accompany her to the hospital, police station or to the NGO.
    You may financially support her
    You may give her a shelter during the toughest time till she is protected by the system.
    You may help her find employment somewhere else, so that she can leave the nest.

There are so many ways... Depending on the case, you have to make the judgement.

It is important to help to save someone from the abuse. Tomorrow we may need some assistance from a stranger.

sindmani likes this.
  3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

The maid, I still remember she tells me the problem. But she could not bring her husband to meet my husband just for a friendly talk so that some deaddictive centres could have been contacted. He was little paranoid about my maid as per her statement.this is usually a psychological issue.I have seen her husband.he used to respect all our tenants in our apartment and was decent to us. His drinking habits never bothered us even if he comes to our apartment often .soI feel little understanding his wife is all that is needed. . It was 2 years back. Now presently I heard that her family shifted to native. We are all pitying her but somewhere I feel i have failed as a woman to help a girl in distress. I even got less support from my maid itself. Now I feel maybe she was scared of her husband's reaction. So in that case victim should be made aware, now I get it . I told her once if ur husband beats u with stick , catch the stick. Dont take the beating. I feel sorry for the victims, I have seen my maid coming back to normalcy with in two day days of hospitalization. She didn't know she was abused. God I don't understand. Now I get it.I should have educated her the meaning of physical and emotional abuse.

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Hey ! You need to stop feeing guilty . There was only so much you could do . Focus on the baby and try not to blame yourself. It's also a issue between a husband and wife, you don't want to intrude too much.
    My close friend was physically abused by her husband , I always asked her to get a job and move out. She stayed back and had kids. The husband seems to have changed and she is happy now and doing well . When I see her happy family I wonder what if she had followed my advice and do feel guilty for having asked her to walk out . So yes , our intentions are always good but the outcomes may be different .

nb25 likes this.
  5. shubha1987

shubha1987 New IL'ite

She should probably take her relatives help to get him threatened In prank call of posing as some criminal authority departments and warn him against such acts, if continued he shall be arrested

6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

It is too late. Lot has happened . thanks. Hope such incidents don't happen again to anyone. Praying for that. Life is precious.But such incidents are remaining as A SCAR . but we have to move on.