1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My in laws are extremely dirty

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by greatgugu, Apr 4, 2011.

1. LifeIsWhew

LifeIsWhew New IL'ite

Wow !!! That must be frustrating. Especially if you are a clean freak. I can understand if they do not want to do the hard work themselves but if they have a problem if you clean things then you are in a tough situation.

As the above 2 post mentioned you just have to lead by example and hope it works. Do not mention anything about things being dirty or unclean. Just go about your routine cleaning your personal space. Initially your husband might follow suit and then hopefully your inlaws.

As far as food goes - do they not eat the South Indian dishes you cook too or is it only the biryani and manchurian? If your inlaws are old they might not like non-south indian food. Well I would be on seventh heaven if someone cooked a 3 course meal for me everyday and did not expect me to cook. But that's just me :)

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Ouch that is plain gross(sorry)
    Here is how I would handle it.
    U need to get ur DH on ur side. Whenever he is relaxed talk to him softly about how important being clean is without saying anything negative bout MIL, That is important Slowly enlist his help on weekends to clean up common area in the house and also ur bedroom. Praise him when he helps u around the house .It will take a lot of time ..so be patient dear.
    Now while u continue this brainwashing ..talk to ur MIL seriously about getting a maid. Now how u position it is important. If u tell her.."MIL the kitchen dirty ,the place stinks lets get a maid " she will get all defensive and wont agree. Tell her nicely that..u see her working so hard in the kitchen and most women her age cannot do 1/10 of what she is doing and how lucky u are blah blah then suggest that she get maid so she can get a break. The key is ur MIL should think its for her...not for u since u are a clean freak.
    Hope things work out for u.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  3. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

wait a min...2 fridges...are they stocked up with items from the 14th century?
    Ever since I got married 4 yrs ago, I never saw the fridges being cleaned (yep, my MIL too has 2 of them)..and there are things that I've been seeing in there since a good number of years... God save!

4. subharajagopal

subharajagopal New IL'ite

hi,
    you can keep a maid orelse do it in the week end cleaning work

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Two fridges? I am sorry to ask, but what for?

Fridge is a place to keep items - so that they dont go bad before using them. It is not a storage space for things we dont want to see :hide:

6. nehamadan

nehamadan New IL'ite

ohhh my god...a diff problem..I will suggest you have to do what was done in Munna Bhai movie..Start cleaning their stuff..I guess they will start following you after some time..It wud be tough i undertsnad

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Gandhigiri to cure in-laws? I doubt his policy would work in this situation. :)

8. ThanjavurPonnu

ThanjavurPonnu New IL'ite

Did you find a way around for this? Because, i am experiencing something similar