1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My favourite shopping

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by vaishnavisri, Sep 20, 2010.

1. vaishnavisri

vaishnavisri Senior IL'ite

I am an NRI in Bahrain and my native is Chennai. In chennai, my favourite time pass was shopping in t.nagar, particularly road side shopping in Pondy bazaar and ranganathan street. I love to go there even under hot sun. I wont feel tired at all roaming there. It is a real excitement to see new arrivals of churidhar materials (displaying the latest movie or heroine names as its name), matching bangles, studs, bindhis, cosmetics. My shopping will start with a hot pop corn from one end of ranganathan street and its a real fun munching pop corn and watching around. Even in off-seasons there is a huge crowd there.

When I came to bahrain, I found only sophisticated malls, no road side shops, no bargaining, no crowd even during festivals. Though it is looking very neat, very disciplined and what not, the fun I had in t.nagar shopping is totally missing for me. Rushing among the crowd and searching for our favourite color dresses in the midst of other dresses, with the dress material in hand and searching for matching artificial jewellery is all real pep. Whenever I go for shopping in Bahrain, I immediately used to think of my sweet t.nagar shops.

Last year Diwali I was in Bahrain. Unfortunately, we didn't get signals for the TV programmes. We missed those SIRAPPU NIGAZCHICALs too. No sound of crackers, no tv programmes, no road side shopping. I immediately told my husband that we should be in India for the next diwali.

We have decided to be in India for this diwali. I am just waiting to rush to my favourite t.nagar for my diwali shopping.

2. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hi vaishnavi,

Join our street shopping gang to enjoy diwali maza. roaming in the ranganathan street itself, will give us the festive mood. expecting u.

andal

3. vaishnavisri

ya, jus waiting like anything mrs andal

4. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Vaishnavi, Happy Diwali and Happy shopping. I love shopping Chennai, but I haven't been to Ranganathan St for a long time. You made me plan my next trip to Chennai. The first thing I am going to do is shop in T. Nagar. The crowd is so good. Shopping in abroad is ok. Fancy malls, clean and no bargains. But we don't get the feeling of shopping.
    Good day.

5. vaishnavisri

Thanks & wish u the same. its a real mazaa shopping in crowd which these NRIs (my neighbours who are living for decades in bahrain) dont understand. pls enjoy ranganathan st shopping, may be the first time you might feel puzzled on the crowd, second or third time you will get along. enjoy.

is ur id name coffee lover or r u a real coffee lover? bcoz i too love coffee like anything