1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Family is Safe! Forget Bomb Blast!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by malspie, Dec 2, 2008.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

It was an unusual night; I could see my watchman keeping an eye on the main gate of the building. I was confident, he is not aware of the situation; my heart went out for him, as he too is armed with just one “Laati” (stick).

When I opened my sliding window, he showed his alertness by quickly fixing his gaze on me, “Sabhi log aa gaye kya!” I asked him, “Haan Madam, khaali ‘H’ saab ka aana baaki hain, uske baad gate bandh kar dega”. (Has Everyone returned to their den? .. Yes Madam, except for Mr, H, once he enters, I will lock the gate!).

I have left this special instruction with the watchman from the time I am holding the post of ‘Chairperson’. My neighbours have called me “darpok madrasi” (Coward Madrasi (Madrasi is a slang word used by Mumbaikars for all Southies). I tell them, it is always better to be safe.

Residents of my building who come past 12.00 have to follow certain secret security procedure to alert the watchman, in case he is not at his place (Watchmen are famous to move out of their place at nights after locking the gate and go to a dinghy corner and hit the sack!).

Once he is alerted through secret security procedure, he will open the gate, no hanging around with friends and chatting at the gate, no waving out “Tata” “Bye –Bye’s” at the gate, the moment he opens the gate, we need to pull our car in or walk in, so that he can immediately lock the gate!

As I finished the conversation, I heard the slam of the lift gate on my floor! I knew my neighbour has come, he walks in pretty late every day! I spotted him through my peep hole! Thank God, he has reached safely. The volume of my television was a bit high at that time as I was out of my seat for around 2.5 minutes! I rushed back to find messages waiting for my answer, “Mals where are you, what happened yaar! Why are you not answering the messages!”

It was the night of 26th November 2008!

The dark night ended with a doom dawn!

As I was about to enter the lift, my neighbour asked me, “Today also, you are going to office!” I retaliated, “I am not a ‘darpok madrasi’, when my time comes, nobody can stop me, so why worry”. “Did you watch the television,” she asked me. “Till 5 in the morning”, “Why, your sister and her family is safe, your friends were safe nah! Then why the hell you need to worry of what is happening in the nation, it is all political game, exchange of money and fight for position. I slept peacefully as my kids and husband was safe at home and my relatives were also safe in their pad”.

I shot back, “You will realize the grief, when you lose someone in the blast! I lost my best friend in 1993 bomb blast, I saw my dear friend fighting for life in 2003 blast of train at Mulund, I know what this blast mean! I had asked my other friends to run from pillar to post to look out for my friend whose mobile was dead, whose voice was not heard by me, I was crying bitterly in office”. My friends went searching from one hospital to another; one of the staff also told them to search the morgues!!

My prayer to Guruvayooappan and my best friend Ganesha finally cracked his whereabouts. He was admitted in a hospital and was battling for life with splinters and injury in ICU! He is alive and happy today, but the gloom on the face of his parents who flew down from Delhi after hearing the news, the gloom on the face of a father, who lost his young unmarried daughter in the 1993 blast, can never be forgotten.”

I just walked in to the waiting lift and hopped in the car!

The driver of the car was more considerate, “Madam, raat bhar soya nahin, bas T.V hee dekhtha raha, bahut boora hua Madam”.

Well, call me mad, call me crazy, I cannot hit the sack saying
    “My family is safe, forget Bomb Blast”.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Mals you are truly one of a kind dear:) You are not able to sit back saying that your family is safe. Here too you showed your true kind warm and supportive and caring nature by giving us updates on what was going on.. letting the keyboard talk for you. My prayers are with those killed in the blast and affected by its aftermath.

3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Mals,
    You are right. You were not the only person to keep watching the TV. I was fully awake untill the current went off by 2.30 am in the early morning and I just was relying on your sms messages as to what is happenning. Infact my husband was asking me whether I got messages from you or not. It was a nightmare, and I kept praying for all my relatives and friends out there in Mumbai and also for all those unseen and unknown residents of Mumbai.

Though it all have come to an end, who can forget the tragedy. As many puts it, it is our 9/11.

Let lord give all of us the courage to rise up from this as a phoneix bird.

4. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Mals!

What a shame that we live among some people who are so selfish, that they are unable to see the pain in others sufferings! That night there, it could ahve been anyone, me u, our families or friends! I am glad that tears come to my eyes watching all the carnage, I am not ashamed, coz I am crying for someone's sibling, someone's family, that could have been mine!
    I sat and sobbed watching the funeral of Hemant karkare, and my heart went out to his son and family......But I am gald that I am a sensitive human being and able to feel their pain! I cried when Moshe cried for his mum, and his nanny picked him up.... and wished that I could just hold him and make his pain mine!

Those who were killed or injured were not known to me, yet I cried coz they are my people, from my land! I cried thinking of the pain their near ones must be going through! Old mothers, having lost their kid, wives having lost their husbands, kids having lost their fathers! How many relationships were lost that day, never to come back!

TELL ME MALS, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SIT BACK, NOT SHED A TEAR AND THINK.......THANK GOD NONE OF MY PEOPLE WERE THERE.........COZ THE TRUTH IS ALL THOSE WHO PERISHED WERE MY PEOPLE....IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD!

5. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Well Said Mals. That's how most amongst us are.
    My heart goes out to all those families who lost loved ones...and seeing a baby come out of hostage...was something I couldn't stand.

In a different mind set....there is absolute fire inside to do something about this...and people who have let it happen.

Ok...don't want to end up pouring the burning fire here...:)

6. vinoran

vinoran Bronze IL'ite

"My Family is Safe! Forget Bomb Blast!"
    Dear Ms.Malspie,
    The title was little misleading to my mind, but when I read your blog it totally changed my mind and I am proud how good your heart is - Keep it up Madam. Proud of your courage.
    Warm regards
    Vinoran

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear mals,

well ,thats the attitude in general so i am not really surprised at your neighbour..we all know and appreciate the trouble u have taken to keep us all updated thru the news bulletin...A BIG THANK U...heart goes out to all those who lost their lives...
    mindi

8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Mals, Friday was declared holiday to working chennaities due to rains..guess what..I did not switch off my TV at all...I never switched any other channel other than CNN.My heart wept for all those NSG commando's/Local Police and all other brave hearted soldiers more than for the hostages...We seldom sing their praises and there is a CM in India who says deragatory statement about that Brave heart - What a shame! Should'nt he be hanged???

I too never hit the sack till 12..after which my DH got very irritated and screamed and forced me to hit the bed...I lay awake even then till 3 am...and again TV....

If we fellow country men say that I'm safe, bomb blast somewhere so what....attitude...we are not worth to be called as Human Beings....

Mals, i'm so proud of you dear....

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mals

We are all proud of u and you kept everyone updated
    of what is happening.

My daughter from dubai sent me sms asking how we are
    at 12 p.m. Then I phoned and asked her why she is asking then only I came to know about the blast. Since
    she thought we must be sleeping she sent sms.

I was not getting sleep so I could know about the sms she sent. Then I was watching the TV to know the news. Since it was latenight many people came to know
    only in the morning.

take care
    love
    viji

10. yenetishashi

yenetishashi Senior IL'ite

hi mals,

hats of to your courage ,
    after watching the news and getting to know the latest upcomings regarding mumbai blasts and bombs in the train near ASSOM,it is clear that there is no safety for orinary man,we all know life is too precious and atleast these times we must take care of people who are suffering with out thier fault

i wsh everything to get end and everyone to lead a peaceful life

thanks,
    shashi.