1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

My Experiances with Knitting

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by malligashivaram, Jan 24, 2011.

1. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Winter months are coming to close now they day of chillness is gone--I want to share some woolens though not good enough--but I made them, 10 years back, when I had forgotten the basics of knitting and tried to made A sweater for my younger son--who was a weighty boy he wanted a brighter color---no grays or Browns would do then and with a lots of mistakes -- I had to double the size and did not know exactly how to--too lazy to look through the old knitting books--or how I can i forget!! or so I thought --and started kitting and knitting --was out of practice--felt I was making a blanket-not that I am less---somehow finished it with lots of re-creation and mending.
    At last I proudly gave it to him ---him surfers from wheezing from 10 years of age so he needed to be put warn in winter month--and I did not get ready made size. He laughably accepted and put it on It was tight in the sleeves ---he removed with difficultly removed and said "mama I asked you to make a sweater for me not Simran"[An actress]---I just laughed It looked so funny---then I opened half the knitting and did it better or tried to do .
    it --at least he wear it for the nights.

Then felt so very incapable tried to make an anothor one hoping it would be better--better it was --full of mistakes in the stitches--_if anybody talks to me I would miss out the counting , the color was such--- my Bad eyes did not see the mistakes till morning--and the number of stitches 250 was too much to remove so I completed it and gave it it fitted thank god--sorry for boring you all just wanted to share my self-confidence without any proper preparations .And the fun and frustrations making it.

Have a look and smile and give me a reply, however bad it is :]

Attached Files:

2. sandh

sandh IL Hall of Fame

:wow superb sweater....... iam very happy.:banana to give first feed back......i enjoyed simran joke.....you did a great job ma.......sandhya:thumbsup

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Malliga,

i just came in to see what is the experiences..and had a hearty laugh.your works look nice. i made the same mistake when i made one for my ds 3 years back. and i know the pain to remove so many sts. right now, one of my dd's work is left half way as i am suffering with frozen shoulders. i have promised her that for next winter at least..:hide:

i think your armhole shaping needs a little more calculations..even now the neck and the armhole are not proportionate. let me see if i can find the general table that is used for these calculations.

you can definitely remove till the armhole and rectify it before next winter..do you use circular needles or double pointed needles for the neck and armholes...

4. malligashivaram

Thanks Sandy for your sweet encouraging Fb, even though it was mediocre--You see before I used to leave the neck and armhole stitch to dear [late] Mom she was an expert, now I had to struggle alone did not know how to use the net too then :):)

5. malligashivaram

Shany thank you for your positive and how to rectify comments so happy to hear it from you--here in the south nobody uses sweaters--so I forgot the exact proportions --yeas I will rectify it --if you give me the proportions please--thank you so much it will be a help---hope your shoulders get better soon sis :):)

6. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

I liked it.Enjoyed the comedy haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

7. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Akka, your lovely writeup on the sweater making espcially where ur sons says it is for me and not for simran made me laugh so loudly.......and reminded me of my mom who keeps doing the same mistake .......remove and redo........of course lots of patience is needed but she finally redid !!

Your sweater is looking good....

8. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

nice sweaters.....nice colors and design

9. ramvino

ramvino Platinum IL'ite

very nice sweaters and really enjoyed the simran joke........yeah for me also the same thing how to make proportions!! i also googling so many sweaters patterns for crocheting but at the same time winter going to be slowdown..........so wants to do in future in summer itself :)! i am appreciating your great work mam!!

10. sbpriya

sbpriya Gold IL'ite

very nice works.