1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Dream Is My Signature

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sindmani, Jul 4, 2017.

1. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Dear Mistt,

My realization was not about my plans of me becoming an entrepreneur but about the film and dignity of labor. And I realized this

Mistt and sindmani like this.
  2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

THE word empathy itself is underrated , in the world.yes I am sure there are exceptions. There are good examples of a woman and man respected for what ever role he/she plays.

teenulahari likes this.
  3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

All the best for ur entrepreneurship. U know even I got inspired seeing the movie . so I have plans too(a different long term).

teenulahari likes this.
  4. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

That is a valid question . I too saw the at movie and was happy for that lady getting respect finally . Same thing in hindi movie " English Vinglish " . And also in the hindi movie " Taare Zamin Pe " , everyone accepts that child when he finally gets high marks in school . So , if he dint get that achievement , others will be continuing to ignore and ridiculing him ? Many people asked like this that time also .

But truth is , world only recognises only achievements , whether big or small . See, in own families , if one son gets good marks or big job and another son will not get job, then parents themselves will be treating them differently . Very sad.
    Unconditional love and unconditional respect is very very rare to find. Very sad .

sindmani likes this.
  5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

English vinglish is a great movie , very sad to see the protogonist being treated little less by her family for not being able to talk in English. Yes she came out of the hurdle and learnt the language and she got back her respect. I am fan of the lead role , a gorgeous woman , a good and talented actress:thumbup:. Felt the movie had good message too. Yes again this is the world , we can't do much . so I tell u frankly I accept the world as it is and so I am having peace inside. Even if someone says I am a waste , I don't get tensed or sensitive like I used to a year back. I say I know my worth. I am alive that itself is a blessing. Seriously I told this to a person and now they don't talk like I am not in a good position because I am not working in USA now after being educated :grinning:. I know what I am and what is my preference for now.

SCSusila likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sindmani, thank you for this thread talking about the movie. Had planned to watch it a few months ago, but forgot. Watched it after reading your thread.

Very nice movie. I didn't understand the line "My dream is my signature."

I don't have a good response to the points you have listed. In the movie, the woman does have a job, so I didn't really get why her husband is so critical of her. Because she can't converse about sports, economics and current affairs? Anyway, I think you intend thread to be a general discussion about the topic, not about the movie. IMO: respect comes when you earn a reasonable amount of money. Not fair, but that is how it is. If a woman is a SAHM, she has to be super talented at many things, and knowledgeable and an expert all people turn to. An ordinary SAHM or a woman with a mediocre job does not get the same respect. The contribution a woman makes to the upbringing of her children or to the professional success of her husband by being home or in a easy, flexible low-paying job, is often not given due credit.

Is that right or wrong, I don't know. Just as I don't know whether it is right or wrong that a man is mostly expected to be the default wage-earner.

sindmani likes this.
  7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

The lead role in the movie could not talk about sports, economics, current affairs etc. So her husband does not give her proper importance. Her daughter too thinks her mom does not have enough dream and 9to 5 job is not a great career(audience wonder why sometimes).But it is altogether a beautiful movie with a good message. My dream is my signature means our dreams and our goals once we achieve becomes our identity.

8. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Traditionally women took care of household and men worked out as providers. It was not because her work was any way of lesser importance but because it was felt a necessary tool to run the household. Then times changed and women got educated enough to do outside work. Added to that was the need for double income due to rising prices and expectations. Today there are many cases where either of the spouse has taken a back seat for the care of children and household.
    In villages, the situation remains the same because it is difficult for women to work in the fields particularly the tiling and the sowing part. Men need to understand that her work is more important than he thinks. For the same work he may have to hire help at a very high cost what she does just for her basic needs.
    It is more of a social problem than man woman issue.

sindmani likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Traditionally women took care of household and men worked out as providers. It was not because her work was any way of lesser importance but because it was felt a necessary tool to run the household. Then times changed and women got educated enough to do outside work. Added to that was the need for double income due to rising prices and expectations. Today there are many cases where either of the spouse has taken a back seat for the care of children and household.
    In villages, the situation remains the same because it is difficult for women to work in the fields particularly the tiling and the sowing part. Men need to understand that her work is more important than he thinks. For the same work he may have to hire help at a very high cost what she does just for her basic needs.
    It is more of a social problem than man woman issue.

10. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

@sindmani!
    A good question to ponder upon. Thanks for bringing it up.

A woman's task (everything) is labelled as common or addressed with "So what" attitude.
    Not just now, but as far as we know, women's contribution at household is always considered common and there was and is nothing big about it. I guess the future generation will realize the worth since we are thinking this way. We will tell our kids for sure. And that is how I hope.

And regarding that movie, I think they have tried to convey a message that, a normal routine life which is geared towards money making ( being a home maker/working women) wont give you satisfaction unless and until you do something other than money making. I would have been happy if she has pursued any of her passion or hobby seriously and soulfully. But the director has taken it towards the well being of the human race (home grown vegetables) may be to instill awareness.

IMHO, I feel may it be a home maker or a working woman, the normal life that we live( normal life in the sense, life which is primarily towards money making) will soon give a void. We will get fed up of the mundane life. At some point we will get that feeling.

So we need to get involved in something other than this. Something which excites us, which makes us happy and that doesn't need to give us money as the profit. And in my opinion, No! respect shouldn't be based on how much we earn, where do we work, or what we have accomplished. If we are respecting others on that basis, the basic humanity falls. And if we think, people are already respecting the other based on the above things, then humanity is already falling.

sindmani likes this.