1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Dearest Companion

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 14, 2024.

1. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

having heard about Orion and how close he was to your family, through your posts, it is really sad to hear of his passing. Our heartfelt condolences to you all. Brings to mind our "Pepsi" the pomerarian we had with us for 15 yrs till his passing in 2015. Its heartbreaking, and we have not had a pet since.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@umaakumar,

Thank you for your kind-hearted response. It was unfortunate you lost Ronnie while you were away in the USA. It is painful to lose the pet. Orion will remain in our hearts forever.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Thank you for your kind message. Orion and I are inseparable for the past 15 years and he used to spend a lot of time with me everyday. I was hoping he would last longer than my own life time.

Thyagarajan and joylokhi like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Having a pet and enjoying his/her company is an emotional decision and they become part and parcel of our family. Slowly, I am reconciling to the Truth.

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Dear @Viswamitra
    I am too sad that you last adear pet. For years you have been writing about Orion and how he missed you when you were away from USA. I learnt about about pet caring from your notes but I hv no personal experience of possessing a pet.
    From your super tribute, I could make out how deep your connection with Orion and the pleasant time he gave all your family members for so many years. I am remembered of my late friend JK who didn't like the pomeranians that his spouse was keeping and later he was asking about them when he was saved from exposure to Bhopal gas tragedy by a dog bite.
    Presence of a pet is anti depressant. My condolences to all members of your family and pray to God to give strength to all to bear the loss.

6. Viswamitra

Thank you for your kind and compassionate words and it helps me heal faster. Orion had such a powerful impact in our family. We learned so much from him including how to be cheerful. His presence itself reduced stress and touching him or having him in my lap helped me to overcome any mental agony. If we have any heated arguments at home, he will get up slowly and come and give a kiss to calm me down. He understood instructions in multiple languages. Every day before taking breakfast, he will come to my office and spend time with me.

We dearly miss him.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

reading this comfort line my eyes turned moist. Unique wonders in the world -animals understand human emotions and attempt offering soothing by their actions!

8. Srama

Srama IL Hall of Fame

Dear V sir,

So sorry about your loss! Orion has had a wonderful life with your family and he is as fortunate as you are to have had him as part of your life for so long. Losing a pet is never easy. I never shared here but I lost my Toby a couple of years ago, very suddenly, and I was distraught. It was the weirdest of things - a story I cannot share here, but luckily, all of us were home, including my son, who was in college then. We took him to the vet and were told there is nothing we could have done! We gave him a Hindu cremation and were so surprised and grateful when the vet's office sent us a card with his paw prints! We treasure them so much. DH knew my state of mind, even though he was equally hurt, if not more, and Junior was also so unlike himself, refusing to eat, so DH was looking for a puppy without my knowledge, and we found our new pup, Sophia (we named her that) - three months after Toby's passing. Another story about how her adoption came about, and while I cannot go into details, let me tell you that she was born the same week that Toby passed and when she came home, it was like she knew the place and knew us! And just like that, I continue to be a two-dog mom!

Growing up with dogs, marrying into a family with dogs, and with my own dogs - I can understand how you feel. I hope things are getting better for your family. I refrained from responding to the thread right away for fear of the emotions that would come through! So here I am after such a long time yet feeling emotional about Toby! In one of my blogs, I had said I wanted to name him 'Yogi' but was shut down. Guess what, sir? He was in my dreams a month or so after his passing, assuring me he was happy! May be my mind, but it helped!

Best wishes to all of you - knowing that Orion had a lovely life with all of you should help ease the pain a little.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

Thank you for your kind message. My family also told me not to write about it but I thought it would help me heal faster when I hear from those who already knew about Orion. The collective prayer and wishes from everyone helps me heal faster. @Rihana forwarding "Rainbow Bridge" gave me so much of relief what Orion would be doing in a new world. Later, I received a card with Rainbow Bridge mentioned by the Vet as well.

We also performed the same Hindu rituals including mixing Orion's remains in Gulf of Mexico and a small pond located near the Temple where we performed our parent's rituals. We sent a donation to Animal Welfare Fund in our county to help other puppies and kittens to get medical help. We are also planning to send money to pet reef so that there will be a reef dedicated for Orion under water. I never heard about petreef.com until after Orion left us.

Losing a pet is hard for all of us and I never knew about Toby until your message today.

Thyagarajan, Rihana and Srama like this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Sir, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved Orion. It was obvious how dear a place he held in your heart. Fifteen years is a great age for a dog though no amount of time is enough. Orion was blessed to have you and your family.
    When you look at his namesake in the sky you will be able to see the faithful Sirius nearby. I like to think this is my dogs looking back at me. There is a passage I have often gone back to after both of my beloved dogs left this world, and I hope it will bring you some comfort too:
    “There is a cycle of love and death that shapes the life of those who choose to travel in the company of animals. It is a cycle unlike any other. To those who have never lived through its turnings and walked its rocky path, our willingness to give our hearts with full knowledge that they will be broken seems incomprehensible. Only we know how small a price we pay for what we receive; our grief, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given”.
    -Suzanne Clothier, Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs

Thyagarajan likes this.