1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Dearest Companion

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 14, 2024.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

He was born on April 28, 2009 but when he arrived on November 8, 2009, he was so tiny and would fit within my palm. Despite his size, he occupied a lot of space in the hearts of all our family members besides his things spread everywhere inside our home. Adorable with his mischievous look, jumping out of joy when we come into our home as though he is seeing us after a long time, wagging his tail vigorously, and sometimes running from one end of the home to the other end at a lightening speed, he created such an impact in our hearts.

Our routines changed to get back home within 3-4 hours whenever we go out to ensure we see him as quickly as possible. He loves all kinds of food and demands timely feeding and wanted all of us to spend more time with him regularly. He used to get one toy every 15 days as anything to play we get for him used to last only a few days.

We were regular in consulting the vets every six months to check his health and we placed him in a plan that allowed him to take his vaccines regularly. 4 years back, he was diagnosed with heart murmur and when we consulted a cardiologist, he said it is a unique problem most Dachshund’s encounter at his age called Mitral Valve malfunction. Since there is no surgical solution, he was asked to take medication regularly twice a day to arrest the progression of the disease. To the surprise of the cardiologist, his disease did not progress at all and stayed at the same level when it was diagnosed when we consulted him every six months. Cardiologist used to take ultrasound to listen to his heart but absolutely there was no progression. We were happy every time we consulted the cardiologist.

However, sometime in February 2024, he was diagnosed with Pancreatitis & Hyper Parathyroidism, and suspect Cushing’s disease and his activities slowed down a lot. But we continued to give excellent healthcare support to him. But despite all that care, breaking our heart, he decided to quietly leave while staying firmly in the lap of my son on Wednesday. A lot of tears were shed by all of us since then. We all know that everyone who came to this planet had to leave someday. When I said Goodbye to him, I told him to play with all his friends out in heaven under the excellent care of God until we get there to play with him.

As was the Hindu tradition, I gave him holy Ganges water before he left besides playing Vishnu Sahasaranamam in the background which he used to listen everyday first thing in the morning. I am sure with his clean heart and ever vibrant love, is resting at the Lotus Feet of the Lord. It is comforting to know that he is no longer hurting with pain and suffering.

We have plenty of photographs and things he used to keep it with us forever. However, we missed recording his words and actions which I would dearly miss forever.

Orion is and will always stay in our heart forever. Goodbye.

Attached Files:

Thyagarajan, joylokhi, Mistt and 2 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am very very saddened to read this, Viswa. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

I hope you never let go of the fond memories, I know there are a lot of them. Many of them you have also shared here in IL. Because of those, over the years "Orion" has come to mean Viswa's Orion first, and then a constellation etc.

A very poignant tribute you have written.

The Rainbow Bridge Poem

Once again, I am very sorry for your loss. Please convey my condolences to your family too.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

4. Viswamitra

@Rihana

Thank you for your kind soothing words that are comforting. Reading the Rainbow Bridge Poem brought happy tears into my eyes. I am glad to know he will be comfortably playing with his friends until we reach heaven. The reunion will be another exciting experience for us when we get there.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  5. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

My deepest condolences to you and your family. Orion was taken good care of and loved deeply by you and your family and his loss is irreplaceable. I hope time will heal your grief.

Again my deepest condolences for an irreplaceable loss in your life

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Viswa

My deepest condolence ti you and your family.
    I can understand how much you must be missing Orion because we have also dogs here and many have come and gone. They are very faithful. My son I law who is also my husband's nephew gives them biscuit bread and my daughter gives food. We also have a cat who knows when my son in law comes from out and comes running. She is given cheese and milk.
    She will stand near the fridge asking for cheese.

Your post was very touching

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

@gamma50g, Thank you for your comforting words. Talking about him and all his actions over the last 15 years is slowly making us to get comfortable about his absence. He has made such an impact in our lives and we feel as though a big tree is taken away from our home.

Thyagarajan and gamma50g like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Vijiakka,

We miss him so dearly as our lives revolved around him. We feel as though we are left in the middle of a desert without water and food. Particularly, my routin worked around him and now all of a sudden I feel I have nothing else to do in life.

Hopefully, we will recover soon from his loss and restore normal life. I am sure he misses us too but we have to reconcile to the reality in life.

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  9. umaakumar

umaakumar Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    My deepest condolences.
    The hardest thing is losing a pet. While in school I had a pet and when we lost him we cried for many days. It was then I decided never to have pets.
    My daughter while in high school pestered me so much and brought home 2 dogs. Ronnie and Kelly. My life revolved around them for 15 years.
    I lost Ronnie while I was in the USA for my daughter's delivery. I still feel guilty for not being there for him when he left.
    Exactly a year later we lost Kelly who laid down next to me and left.
    I fondly think of them often and watch their videos.
    It is heartbreaking to lose something so dear.
    I understand how you should be feeling
    Regards
    Uma

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hi Viswa Sir,
    It is very very sad to hear about Orion and my heartache while reading your post:( :(:(. I have been aware of Orion through your posts and I feel for you, Sir. Please accept my heartfelt condolences to you and your family.