My Dad Has Stomach Pains And I Am Scared

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Apr 15, 2023.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

My dad has stomach pains and I am scared

I don’t see anywhere this is after effect of surgery, let alone heart surgery

only reason I can think is that dad took coated baby aspirin without food

I pray it is nothing serious

heart is okay so far

I’m hoping to have television with née orimary Care Dr.

our old primary care Dr was so close but she moved away

just now I woke up to use bathroom and I asked my dad how he was …he had poor sleep

I what are possible reasons for stomach pain
    How can we help Das feel better

I am just praying right now

how can anyone bare so much

He was already taking Aleve painkiller. Cardiology saud switch to Tylenol as Aleve is nit good for long term

And he is taking Tylenol with food

2. SuiDhaaga

I just spoke to Dad who didn’t nit get any sleep at all

He is taking 500mg Tylenol every 8 hours for past three days with food

but it is not sold I’d food, it is milk

is it possible that he needs to take solid food with Tylenol 500 mg

also he lost his appetite and says he hates milk. I told h8m that loss of appetite is normal and it shall return

so he will have Tylenol with solid food

plus he will have Tylenol ever 12 he instead of every 8 hours

and he has no steprenght to push for bowel movements. His bowels are soft, but if they are not coming out, then where are they?

I just left message fir primary care physician office, hope she sees patients via telemedicine on Saturdays (I remember her staff says she comes alt Saturday)

3. SuiDhaaga

Now my Dad’s stomach pain is mulch less but now he’s getting painful upper back and chest again

seems like a see-saw

plans to take Tylenol ever 10 hrs for one day, the next day every 12 hours

this stuff is scary!

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@SuiDhaaga

That is one of the listed emergency health issue listed to call 911. Can you take him to an emergency room if you don't have access to his primary care physician?

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

My Dad is horrified of the ER. Esp after being stuck with needles. Just horrified

As the effects of the Tylenol was wearing out the stomach ache got less but the chest and upper back pain started to emerge

and when we call the Heart Monitoring company they say Dad’s heart readings are normal

i wish I can even take my dad to an urgent care center just so MDs can do basic checks and advise him. Not stick him with needles, IVs, etc, but ask some simple questions

He tries to walk here and there but even getting a car ride is so difficult

Will talk to Dad again

6. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

sui, is he having any constipation problem still??? i remember you telling one time in other thread, if it is so thatswhy he is feeling irritated, not having good appetite, feeling nauseating, but it might be other reasons too which are unknown for us as of now.

but if he is going thru something in pain please go to ER even if it means you or dad doesnt want to still we have to do what we have to do... you have to take action.

tylenol doesnt matter with food thatswhy everyone suggest tylenol when fever or pain as no one feels to eat..

EC aspirin is suggested to be taken with food to avoid upset tummy.. some it helps with snacks others with some good meal..

if you need any help please have one of two of your friends close by..

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If your dad is taking a lot of painkillers then it can cause constipation and digestive issues. After sedation it can take a long time for bowel function to return to normal. Ask the doctor about taking stool softeners. That itself can cause a lot of discomfort and anxiety.
    If he is having persistent discomfort and doesn’t want to go to ER then try to convince him to at least visit an urgent care. You can make an appointment online and not have to wait for too long.
    If you are finding it hard to drive him yourself then you can find out if your insurance will pay for a medical transport service.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  8. SuiDhaaga

Thank you so much @swarnamary and @Viswamitra and @MalStrom

I spoke with Dad. He is reclining on bed watching TV

I asked how he feels now

If stomach ache was 100 this morning, now it is 20

Upper back pain is no longer there, but he feels slight pain in chest, but barely

As for bowel movement he is having less (than his very little movement even before the procedure)

Im trying to see if urgent care has telehealrh visits… at least medical professional can guide Dad while he is on the bed

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. SuiDhaaga

It seems my Dad was taking too much Tylenol, 1 every 8 hours.

when he skipped his 8 hour mark the stomach pain went down drastically but the upper back and chest pain started to come. Right now those pains went away.

my Dad is going to try Tylenol every 10 hours and then 12 hours to find right balance bet pain Managment and managing his constipation. He says his stools are super soft but he doesn’t have strength to push the way he due before the heart procedure.

hope I can get him to urgent care at least

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

How many calories he is eating? Tylenol in empty stomach can cause pain. Urgent care could be an easier solution but I am not sure whether they can provide telemedicine.Probably if they have health history including TAVR. Low dosage of Tylenol most likely will not have an issue.